O2 Sensors

03hilux

I recently had to replace the O2 sensors on my '99 Discovery 4.0ltr V8. That bit I had no issue with, but paying $165 each, I did.
I read on a facebook forum that BA Falcon sensors will do the trick, but the plugs either have to be changed or an adapter harness made.
Does anybody know where I can find the info to either change plugs or make an adaptor? A descriptive run down by wire colour or diagrams of both looms would be great.
The reason why is because the Falcon sensors sell between $45 and $70 each.
I don't plan on replacing the new ones for a while, but being ready for it wouldn't hurt.
Thanks
Roger

Jaye

Typical land rover owner.

I would be wearing putting other o2 sensors in and even more so modifying the electrical connectors or wiring.

The wiring and sensor has a certain amount of resistance and that differs from model to model. The probes are of different lengths and sit in the exhaust at different depths. Both these can alter the o2 sensors ability to function correctly. They are essentially tuned vehicle specific.

That being said manufacturers share many components and it may work. May not bring the engine light on but could use more fuel. O2 sensors really only function when cruising, not under load or in overrun.

Reactions: abw

03hilux

That's my thoughts too Jaye. I might speak to the local Auto elec and see what he advises.

I have had a comb through the internet and can only come up with a lot of owners saying they run the BA sensor and that they are identical in length, and its only the plugs that differ.
One thing my 'net search has taught me is that the Australian released Disco's only run pre cat sensors, whereas overseas models run both pre cat and post cat.
"O2 sensors really only function when cruising, not under load or in overrun."
The sensors function in what is commonly known as "closed loop", such as cruising or once they engine is warm. They don't function when the engine is cold or when burying the boot.

muc the truck

Now you own a disco stop buying Australian . use this place for parts , factoring air mail it was cheaper every time to buy from them when I owned my disco , The do not quote on freight until you pay for the items then they pack it , weigh it and then you pay the actual freight not a estimate error favouring them . You only pay actual freight cost http://www.paddockspares.com/parts-and-accessories.html

send them your vin number and they will cross match the correct o2sensor . Then choose between genuine and aftermarket . They only last about 80,000kms in any car then start costing you more fuel.

muc the truck

Cheers Muc.
They are really good . dealer in Darwin wanted almost 400 for a plastic master cylinder reservoir . mine was crazing. cost me 54 dollars for genuine reservoir and master rebuild kit from paddocks . I always planed ahead to save me self some money . I always had parts on hand before I needed them . makes for a very cheap full size 4x4 to own . tie rods. rear diff arm bushes , water pump, hoses , dizy cap, fuel filter all sorts of things you wear out , I would order before they did. Do a collated order of pre emptied repairs . When my disco was written off by a drugo I sold al my un used spare parts and made money.

03hilux

They are really good . dealer in Darwin wanted almost 400 for a plastic master cylinder reservoir . mine was crazing. cost me 54 dollars for genuine reservoir and master rebuild kit from paddocks . I always planed ahead to save me self some money . I always had parts on hand before I needed them . makes for a very cheap full size 4x4 to own . tie rods. rear diff arm bushes , water pump, hoses , dizy cap, fuel filter all sorts of things you wear out , I would order before they did. Do a collated order of pre emptied repairs . When my disco was written off by a drugo I sold al my un used spare parts and made money.

Thats good advice.Especially with a disco.