NW Pajero Roof Rack

Dantheunit

Hello All,
First time post for me here.

I am in the market for a Roof Rack for my NW Pajero. I have been looking at the OCAM full length Alloy rack but have recently been told to stay away. Also been looking at the Rhino Rack Platform racks and Pioneer racks, Everyone seems to be using these, so must be a reason why and also been looking into the ARB full length racks and their new platforms.
Any experience with these racks, like Pros and Cons, another Option or help to make my decision would be greatly appreciative.

Much regards,

Dan

stevemc181

If you spend a bit of time doing corrugated roads, the first thing you want to do is get rid of the factory rails and have a heavy duty track system put in. I have the Pioneer HD Track with a custom made Alloy rack on the wifes Paj. If I had my time again, I'd have gone for a Rhino full length tray instead of the custom job.
The pioneer system isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for and it will last you for years and years. I'd go a flat platform over a rack with sides, so much easier to load on things like an oztent.

Dantheunit

If you spend a bit of time doing corrugated roads, the first thing you want to do is get rid of the factory rails and have a heavy duty track system put in. I have the Pioneer HD Track with a custom made Alloy rack on the wifes Paj. If I had my time again, I'd have gone for a Rhino full length tray instead of the custom job.
The pioneer system isn't cheap, but you get what you pay for and it will last you for years and years. I'd go a flat platform over a rack with sides, so much easier to load on things like an oztent.
Thanks for your reply.
Kind of having the some thoughts. Do not really want to buy a rack and be held back from doing certain roads and such with some weight on top. Would rather spend a bit for quality. Mainly stuck between figuring out if a platform rack or a the pioneer style qould be better. I lile the idea of having the sides for extra strapping spots, lights, stacking items and such. But thought once everything is strapped it should not be moving off the rack.

stevemc181

I've had various racks with sides for years, and now want a platform. The Rhino platforms have slots where you can slide and lock in all sorts of accessories and tie down points. Also a lot less wind resistance and height for the day to day driving. The standard roof rails on the Pajero are pretty weak, you'd be wise to change to a track system. This is pretty easy for your local Rhino roofrack shop to do, they need to drop your interior roof lining to get to the nuts though.
If you cut corners to save a few bucks, you'll probably regret it, and a good solid rack and track mount system will last the life of the vehicle.

smwhiskey

I've got the Rhino pioneer flat rack but attached to the factory rails. Still (theoretically) lets me have between 60kg-65kg (calculated as 75kg - the weight of the rack) up there which is more than I generally ever would put up there anyway.

I chose to use the existing rails because my NP Pajero is getting on in years and I'm planning to shift the rack off the Pajero onto the new rig if/when I finally get one.

Attachments

• IMG20180511104815.jpg
    IMG20180511104815.jpg
    424 KB · Views: 142

Chatty

Had the Rhino / Pioneer on our NS and it was an awesome rack. Got rid of the original rails and replaced them with proper racks for the best strength.
That rack carried way too much weight over the Simpson, plus all over Aus for years without any problems until we had to sell Maj.

Dantheunit

Had the Rhino / Pioneer on our NS and it was an awesome rack. Got rid of the original rails and replaced them with proper racks for the best strength.
That rack carried way too much weight over the Simpson, plus all over Aus for years without any problems until we had to sell Maj.
oh cool. Thank you for your reply.
I am thinking for going with the backbone mounts and the tray. I like the idea of the sides.
Is the backbones what you went with also?

Chatty

We used the Rhino Racks - don't know if they were called backbones, but they were the highest weight rack for the Paj and I think there were 3. We got the tray with sides, rather than the flat one as it simplified tie-downs as you could lash to the side rails and effectively all you were doing was stopping stuff jumping off the rack, as it couldn't slide off...

Dantheunit

We used the Rhino Racks - don't know if they were called backbones, but they were the highest weight rack for the Paj and I think there were 3. We got the tray with sides, rather than the flat one as it simplified tie-downs as you could lash to the side rails and effectively all you were doing was stopping stuff jumping off the rack, as it couldn't slide off...
Ahh ok, I like the idea of the backbone mounts, as the tray does not sit too high, as opposed to being mounted to the racks off the rails.
Did you have height issues at car parking and garages?

Chatty

Ahh ok, I like the idea of the backbone mounts, as the tray does not sit too high, as opposed to being mounted to the racks off the rails.
Not really - the car parks we wouldn't fit in, it wouldn't make any difference how the rack was mounted as they would barely fit the standard Pajero. I wouldn't base any decision on the possibility or not of fitting into car parks.

smwhiskey

Just for the record, My NP Pajero with 2" lift with pioneer flat rack on the factory rails will fit in a carpark signed at 2.1m.

Tip for those that havn't heard it and have their UHF aerial on the bullbar. When you get a new rack, replace your aerial so its the same height as the height of the 4WD. That way if you're not going to make it under something, you'll see your aerial hit in time to stop before you wipe out the rack on the roof.

Chatty

Just for the record, My NP Pajero with 2" lift with pioneer flat rack on the factory rails will fit in a carpark signed at 2.1m.
Our NS was the same - the point I was trying to make before is that car parks seem to be 2.1m or higher, or 1.9m or lower - we very rarely found a park in that 1.9 to 2.1m range - which is the only range using lower tracks in would make a difference.