Nullabor + GCR

Gidgee

Assuming WA opens it's borders before the weather heats up too much, we're planning a loop Adl->Nullabor->Kalgoorlie->GCR->Kata Tjuta->Adl.

I'm always keen to get off the beaten track a bit but will likely be travelling with friends in a BMW X3 (AT tyres) so probably can't get too adventurous, but wondering if people have tips to give regarding that route? None of the current route is set in stone, and we have just over 3 weeks to do it.

My thoughts are to take at least 8 days to do Adl-Kal so we have a little time to look around as we go across the Nullabor. A couple of days in Kalgoorlie (seeing someone there) , then Laverton to Warburton I think 3 days? Same again Warburton to KT? Or do we need longer?

[BTW, free park entry Kata Tjuta/Uluru for the rest of the year, you can sign up now and adjust date later. If you pick a date after Oct31 it goes into next year.]

1592446616435.png

billolga

Two Permits (WA & NT) required for the GCR both obtainable free on the internet (Not at the moment of course).

Gidgee

Yeah there is a bit of uncertainty, but we're still 6-7 weeks from wanting to leave. Fallback plan is just SA/NT part, but am hoping we can do the full trek at this point.

Dazacom

There’s a couple of spots you might want to check out after Kal. You have lake Ballard out of Menzies and 40k after Menzies you can turn right and go to Niagara dam which has toilets. If you keep on that road there’s the ghost town of Kookynie and you can go from there to malcom which is 30K out of Leonora on the Laverton side. There is a road that’s pretty good that goes from Malcolm through to Laverton. Nice country with a few ruins along the way.

typhoeus

There’s a couple of spots you might want to check out after Kal. You have lake Ballard out of Menzies and 40k after Menzies you can turn right and go to Niagara dam which has toilets. If you keep on that road there’s the ghost town of Kookynie and you can go from there to malcom which is 30K out of Leonora on the Laverton side. There is a road that’s pretty good that goes from Malcolm through to Laverton. Nice country with a few ruins along the way.
Is the mt windarra mine still operating out there? . Spent a couple of years driving trucks underground there in the '70s

Dazacom

Na
Is the mt windarra mine still operating out there? . Spent a couple of years driving trucks underground there in the '70s
the only thing left out there is to admin office and a bit of concrete. There is still a caretaker there. There is a board up near the water tanks with pictures how it used to look.

Gidgee

I did Lake Ballard/Menzies/Gwalia when I was working up that way but have to take the wife to see it. Not seen Malcolm, Niagra Dam (though did see the sign), or Kookynie. Thanks.