NSW state forest camping areas

Walkabout

By Region: Recreation and Tourism in State Forests | NSW Department of Primary Industries

All: State forest facilities & activities | NSW Department of Primary Industries

Camping in State forests is free in NSW, a lot have drop toilets and other facilities like tables etc.
Just click on the link above and select your requirements IE: camping, 4WD access, toilets etc and hit search.
Most State forests allow you to camp anywhere within the forest, if doing so please tread lightly and be mind full of any conservation issues particular to that forest.
Lists generated are for NSW only.

Let us know in this thread if you find any gems or what a particular one was like.

Last edited:

teza h

We went to Chichester S F (Telegherry River) last Easter.The camping arias were great,larg grassy level, along a nice creak or tucked in under the trees. Most of the forest tracks are eazy,mountain forest type driving,very pretty place.It got a bit packed over easter,but for quiet weekend it would be great.
Cheers Teza.

Last edited:

scodon

Am in the planning stages of a weekend camping trip to Chichester. Thanks for the info mate, really handy

Barra_2

Best Bush Map

Hi

Heading over your way in February from SA, for 3 weeks working our way down the coast from Byron Bay. We hope to free camp as much as possible.

Thanks for the links, I've been looking at National Parks as well but they are not free.

Is the Best Bush Map a good reference for the area?
Best-bush.jpg

The Best Bush Map is a comprehensive guide to recreation in NSW public bushland.

The map lists hundreds of accessible camping sites, as well as tips on the use of different areas.

This information will help the reader to camp, fish, trek, picnic and drive around the bush of NSW easily.

The Best Bush Map was published by Forests NSW, Tourism NSW, NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service, and the Department of Land and Water Conservation.

The Best Bush Map was revised and published in March 2007.

We have Camps Australia 5 to refer to as well.
Cheers from Barra

richardlnsw

Hi. I am yet to get my hands on the best bush map but i have heard it is good. As an extra you can always call into a nsw forestry office and they are really fantastic at giving advice/assistance on the trip you are planning. You can always buy more detailed maps of the route that you will be taking. You will have a ball and should be able to free camp all the way to Sydney, not sure after that. the north coast has loads of free camping.

Have fun.

Walkabout

HI Barra,
Couldn't hurt to pick one up at about $11 hard to go wrong and may have some valuable info, I hear their local forest maps are excellent.
If you plan your trip properly with a little research you can go the length of NSW just staying in SF and not paying a thing for camping, just be aware that not all SF have propper camp grounds.
There are about 34 forests spotted along close enough to the NSW coastline that will allow for an easy drive through with zero camp fees. see: State forest facilities & activities | NSW Department of Primary Industries
With FS tracks being public roads you will find the majority (or at least the major roads) are listed in your normal street sat nav..

Barra_2

On it's way to SA., $8.95. Thanks Walkabout, before reading this post I thought we'd be forking out CP costs and Camp Fee's at National Parks all the way.

Cheers

Peterc48

A great camping spot in the NSW SF is a place called Colletts Crossing, go to google maps, then do a search for it, top spot, right on a river.

Barra_2

A great camping spot in the NSW SF is a place called Colletts Crossing, go to google maps, then do a search for it, top spot, right on a river.

That would be in the Yuraygir Nationl Park?, Theres a few in there.
I'll add it to the list.
Red Cliff, Lake Arragan, Shelly Head, Sandon River in the north.
Illaroo South & North, Bookloom, Station Creek and Pebbly Beach in the south.

I found a great book on Camping in NSW.

Thanks Peter

Barra_2

The Best Bush map didn't really help me that much, probably better off getting the North & South ones.

I bought Camping guide to New South Wales, by Craig Lewis and Cathy Savage.
Very good info, maps and coordinates.
I'm loading them into my GPS, I'll try and upload them soon, might have to be as a track though.

Cheers

Barra_2

Ive uploaded a gpx file, but it's not zipped, just need to change the extention from .zip to .gpx

Just the North Coast so far

Attachments

• Camping NSW 2012.zip
    14.2 KB · Views: 389

Peterc48

Its not in any camping book or 4WD book that I have seen, you need to go to Google and look it up, you are better getting to it from the south, the camping area is on the southern side of the river.

skylinegaz

By Region: Recreation and Tourism in State Forests | NSW Department of Primary Industries

All: State forest facilities & activities | NSW Department of Primary Industries

Camping in State forests is free in NSW, a lot have drop toilets and other facilities like tables etc.
Just click on the link above and select your requirements IE: camping, 4WD access, toilets etc and hit search.
Most State forests allow you to camp anywhere within the forest, if doing so please tread lightly and be mind full of any conservation issues particular to that forest.
Lists generated are for NSW only.

Let us know in this thread if you find any gems or what a particular one was like.

hi looking for a campsite on the turon i think it is called the diggings dont know wether its in a state forest or national park or any other spots to do a bit of fishing prospecting cheers gaz

Jeep_jk112

hi looking for a campsite on the turon i think it is called the diggings dont know wether its in a state forest or national park or any other spots to do a bit of fishing prospecting cheers gaz

Spent last Saturday night camped at the diggings.
It is located within Turon river national park
Not a bad spot
As for directions, I followed other cars in so I can't help with them sorry

richardlnsw

What's the difference between state forest and national parks..
Thanks

National Parks charge you and don't want you there:(:mad: State Forest Keep the area neat and tidy. Frequently come and clean the toilets and put paper in them, come and chat with campers and give out brochures about the area and they let you take a chainsaw and cut up fallen trees...... all for FREE.:D:D:D

Richard

Tegal_85

That would be in the Yuraygir Nationl Park?, Theres a few in there.
I'll add it to the list.
Red Cliff, Lake Arragan, Shelly Head, Sandon River in the north.
Illaroo South & North, Bookloom, Station Creek and Pebbly Beach in the south.

I found a great book on Camping in NSW.

Thanks Peter

You have to pay at Yuraygir Nationl Park me and missis were passing through that way last year was late and we figured we would pull over and sleep for the night so decided to detour out to red cliff to sleep so in the morning we could go for a swim. We slept in the car in the car park and sure enough bright and early next morning nocking on the car was the ranger wanting fees. $27 just to sleep in the car so we could have swim

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2