NSW over night 4x4 trails?

MarkKay

With lockdown hopefully coming to an end soon in NSW want to start having a look around for some overnight 4x4 trails to test my car and do some camping. I've just recently bought it and I've done some basic mods so im not looking for anything too extreme but enough to test my car.

Does anyone know some good spots?
Cheers

• Haha
Reactions: CTL

Albynsw

Anywhere is good after you have been nowhere and everywhere will be busy
Just start with places closer to home and feel your way into it as you feel more comfortable with your setup

Lithgow area has lots of mild tracks to cut your teeth on, and a few more advanced tracks too so you can come back later when you're more confident. It's only 2hrs from Sydney.

If you want to go a bit further and want some intermediate 4wding and excellent camping then the Bridle Track, entering from Hill End is great. Fantastic, riverside camping, a couple of (usually) easy water crossings and enough 4wding to keep you satisfied.

Pick up Boiling Billy's "4wd Treks close to Sydney". Lots of great trips detailed in there and all of them within a few hours of Sydney. As the poster above mentioned though, the tracks and campsites will get hammered once lockdown lifts. Anything within 3hrs of Sydney will get busy, especially the school holidays.

CTL

With lockdown hopefully coming to an end soon in NSW want to start having a look around for some overnight 4x4 trails to test my car and do some camping. I've just recently bought it and I've done some basic mods so im not looking for anything too extreme but enough to test my car.

Does anyone know some good spots?
Cheers
Welcome to Earth. Glad you are so optimistic about the end of lockdown.
As others have said, be prepared for full campgrounds. Maybe have a look at Hipcamp as they are often smaller properties with limited numbers of visitors

mikehzz

Order this book and give it a read. -

You used to be able to download the way points for all the treks into your GPS from the Boiling Billy website for free but I can't find it any more sorry. (Maybe giving things away for free sends you broke? :)) The treks are perfect for anyone new to four wheel driving.

mikehzz

To any moderators reading this, I've got all the waypoints for the Sydney and High Country treks, is there anywhere to save them on the site as a zip file so they can be downloaded?