Now what?

Matty1969

Hi all.
Sorry if this comes out long winded but I am all over the place with all this now.

What do I want?
I want t be able to use my laptop as a GPS. I understand that I need a receiver and that I need 'mapping' software. My problem is where do I go from here? I have read articles and forums but they may as well be in a different language.

I have a trial and a demo copy of Oziexplore but no maps to even take a look at.

Are there any others I can try? Are there any free ones? If so are they any good and how/where do I get maps.

I hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance.

Pure Yobbo

Hi all.
Sorry if this comes out long winded but I am all over the place with all this now.

What do I want?
I want t be able to use my laptop as a GPS. I understand that I need a receiver and that I need 'mapping' software. My problem is where do I go from here? I have read articles and forums but they may as well be in a different language.

I have a trial and a demo copy of Oziexplore but no maps to even take a look at.

Are there any others I can try? Are there any free ones? If so are they any good and how/where do I get maps.

I hope someone can help.
Thanks in advance.

Great question mate - I am in the exact same positon. :confused::confused:

Cheers

4X4

Hi Matty1969,

You will need a USB GPS or a Bluetooth GPS to use with the laptop. OziExplorer software loaded on the laptop and topographic maps.The Shareware/Demo version of OziExplorer is missing many features that you get in the full purchased version.
o But it does allow full communication with the GPS for upload/download and moving map
o Only allows maps in BMP image format to be loaded
o Only loads maps in WGS84 datum

The Trial Version has almost all the features of the full version (works with all supported image formats and datums) but with these limitations
o No communication with the GPS for upload/download
o No saving or loading of Waypoints, Events, Tracks etc
o No saving of map as an image file
o Will close down after 1 hour of running (must be restarted)

* All the files necessary to run OziExplorer
* Help file
* Demonstration data files.

You will have to purchase the registered version of OziExplorer from here The Official OziExplorer Web Site - GPS Mapping Software for Magellan, Garmin, Lowrance, Eagle, MLR Receivers

free maps (festy maps) are available here .:GPS Australia:.

We will be having an OziExplorer workshop at O'Tooles Flat gathering.

Cheers Rossco

Matty1969

Thanks 4X4
I hope to make that trip.

Am I to understand then that OziExplorer is my only real option then?

Any specific requirements as far as the GPS receiver is concerned?

4X4

Trackranger is another option, but OziExplorer is by far, the best option. IMO

Matty1969

Will either of these show me in real time my position on a mp on screen. Also will either enable me to make notes etc en route?

4X4

Will either of these show me in real time my position on a mp on screen. Also will either enable me to make notes etc en route?
Both will allow real time mapping. You can create waypoints, load tracks or routes etc.

grit

Thanks 4X4
I hope to make that trip.

Am I to understand then that OziExplorer is my only real option then?

Any specific requirements as far as the GPS receiver is concerned?

As far as I can see, it works with most brands of GPS. I prefer the portable models that can also be used for hiking, geo-caching, etc.