Not a trip report, as much as expedition video - Red Center

red99td5

So finally I patched up a great video from my Simpson desert Trip back in 2018, I think it came out pretty good. I would appreciate if you woudl subscribe to my channel, as hopefully more stuff will be coming soon (or maybe not)
Expedition Red Center
Will definetely not be subscribing to your channel, chasing wildlife with the car, pushing down fences, driving all over the paddocks etc

Borec

Will definetely not be subscribing to your channel, chasing wildlife with the car, pushing down fences, driving all over the paddocks etc
I was wondering if anybody would notice that. I had to push that fence down as there was no other way to turn around, when I finished turning, the fence was as it was. The other fence was left as it was when I went through, it was actually a gate.

mauriceb

Well done David and very well filmed. Considering the time of year and the very high risks you took travelling it solo where recovery is not possible but managed to come out the other side. You did very well. I am familiar with your route and I know of no other vehicles that have travelled the trackless Geo sections solo.

rob_macca67

Yes, well done... Is your Prado the old 3ltr TD that was before the CRD 3ltr versions? Man or Auto?
Your fuel usage is incredibly high for that off-track portion of your trip... do u know how heavy you were at all? I also reckon an auto would use more fuel than a manual...

Borec

Yes, well done... Is your Prado the old 3ltr TD that was before the CRD 3ltr versions? Man or Auto?
Your fuel usage is incredibly high for that off-track portion of your trip... do u know how heavy you were at all? I also reckon an auto would use more fuel than a manual...
It is the newer 1KD engine, it is an auto. I was very heavy, as I was carrying lots of fuel, water, spares, water and recovery gear (and camera gear). I was surprised myself with the fuel consumption, I was expecting something around 40 (that is what I get towing a camper-trailer in deep sand on tracks). The high usage I would put down to very low tire pressures (13 psi), making my own way in the virgin sand, very slow speed (sometimes walking pace), going back and forth over the dunes (I would have to back up many times and find another way), I had also lots of resistance from the bushes and spinifex. The car was virtually stripped of paint, down the bottom (and then rusted, as I went through the salt pains). As I was very loaded, I was also fairly low, so the clearance was not that great, so I was dragging my arse over the spinifex most of the time. Once I was on the Madigan, the fuel consumption went back down to acceptable 20 something.

Borec

Well done David and very well filmed. Considering the time of year and the very high risks you took travelling it solo where recovery is not possible but managed to come out the other side. You did very well. I am familiar with your route and I know of no other vehicles that have travelled the trackless Geo sections solo.
Thank you. I was not sure if anybody travelled it solo or not, but I was fairly sure that nobody did it solo in summer. It was a great experience, and I keep thinking back to it all the time, it was scary, but exiting.