not a Great Wall x240 2010

dirvine

What are they trying to flog your for, Dennis. Like yours, I wonder how it ever got a roadworthy, given the lift, the bigger tyres, the chopped cover for the middle seat belt in the back. Mine sold at Grays Auctions for $4500, and the guy in Qld paid $7500. Some Vehicle testers give roadworthy's if they know that the car will not go "over the pits". So if the dealer has such a friend in Vic, then there is no problem getting a roadworthy to sell. I used a school mate of mine for that purpose when I was buying and selling cars when i was a lot younger.

jacnden

What are they trying to flog your for, Dennis. Like yours, I wonder how it ever got a roadworthy, given the lift, the bigger tyres, the chopped cover for the middle seat belt in the back. Mine sold at Grays Auctions for $4500, and the guy in Qld paid $7500. Some Vehicle testers give roadworthy's if they know that the car will not go "over the pits". So if the dealer has such a friend in Vic, then there is no problem getting a roadworthy to sell. I used a school mate of mine for that purpose when I was buying and selling cars when i was a lot younger.
$9999 . Don’t know how the can sell it registered and roadworthy. And it doesn’t drive nice anymore.Like I said before if it was running better after the head gasket I would of kept it as a play car

Thanks for a great read
I'm looking for a 4wd ute for my bush block I drive about High way100ks to get there and tben to get onto the block I just need 4wd and low range if I have a load.
Priorities are Good on fuel, Carry stuff, not get bogged, Purchase price

It seems to me the 4wd comunity is divided into 2 kinds of people the ones who
: use the vehicle to go some where and have fun
: think the vehicle is a statement of thier masculinity, status or power.

I read all the negative comments like "all the recalls" and lack of power,
Listed on https://www.productsafety.gov.au/ 6 recalls for all GW vehicles For Hilux alone there were 19
Power
RA Rodeo TD Power:96kW @ 3800rpm Torque:280Nm @ 2400rpm
GW V200 TD Power:105kW @ 4000rpm Torque:310Nm @ 1800rpm

Cheers
Jeffrey

So is there no Chinese vehicles on 4x4earth now ??
I have mine, though admittedly I'm not on here much. As per jacnden's advice I'm working my way towards bigger tyres, lift, and a rear locker.

Den I think I have seen you post somewhere that the x240 has an 8 inch Toyota rear diff ring and pinion. Does that mean any locker designed for 8 inch Toyota should would on the Great wall rear diff?! Or have I misunderstood. It seems harrop only have lockers for the v240.

I've emailed your russian contact but he says that their lockers are all 80% torsen LSD and I'm concerned they won't really do much for getting out of a low traction situation.

Last edited:

dirvine

I can reply as I was the 1st to have lockers in a GW. Both Dennis and I had a rear Auto Locker. They are an 8" diff which is the same as a Toyota. There is about a 1mm difference that needs to be shaved out. We both had a Detroit locker and imported them direct from USA. Far cheaper option than buying from Harrop. The V240 has a LOWER ratio diff than the X240 in std form. If you put on bigger tyres then you will need to change diff ratios. ASAIK the only place to get the different ratios is our Russian friend. He also sells a torsen type locker for the front diff. The front diff is NOT an 8" Toyota one but a GW "special". So bigger tyres will mean changing both diff ratios. If you could track down who now owns mine, you might be able to find out where my crawler transfer box is. I changed that as I had 33" tyres on mine and even with the changed diff ratios it tended to run away in low ratio. The silly bugger that bought mine, got rid of the transfer case as it made wighning noises. That was because it was straight cut gears which are stronger than helical gears but noisier. He then found all my notes that I left with the car but by then it was too late. As far as lifting the body that is easy with blocks. You can raise them about 1'5" with no problems. Above that (mine was 2.25") you need to change the uni joint on the steering shaft. I never bothered changing the rear end(like Dennis did) as the gain is very marginal. For the front you can buy a whole kit (rodeo I think) to get maximum articulation or you can do a diff drop of about 12mm without cutting cross members, or about 18mm by cutting a section out of the cross member and welding a thick strip of metal under it. If you want any info PM me with your email address and I can probably get you some pics. Mine also appeared in 4WD magazine (about no 240).

jacnden

I can reply as I was the 1st to have lockers in a GW. ).
That was an interesting post? Thought Alan and mitcon had the first locker in a GW. Harrop sells an elocker which is probably better than the Detroit auto .but it is expensive. 8” Toyota locker needs bearings altered .The Russian diff is very good but it is a geared lsd not a full locker .
Do a search on trutrac diffs Good luck , keep us posted

dirvine

Think you will find I was the first. Alan was the first with a BD bash plate. Mitcon did a lot of ground work but I was the first when I saw the Diff doctor and he stripped my car to confirm it was a toyota rear diff. Up until then Mitcon had only suspected but was not prepared to take a risk because of the $$$ incurred. In any case Dennis I still miss the old Bitch. I am still of the opinion that my GW is a better 4WD than my Discovery. Perhaps I was not so concerned about what happened as it was a cheap car. But in the end it just cannot tow anything, and the Disco is so comfortable it is far more practicable as a daily drive and just a competent 4WD. Good but no Great Wall in my opinion in the bush.

I can reply as I was the 1st to have lockers in a GW. Both Dennis and I had a rear Auto Locker. They are an 8" diff which is the same as a Toyota. There is about a 1mm difference that needs to be shaved out. We both had a Detroit locker and imported them direct from USA. Far cheaper option than buying from Harrop. The V240 has a LOWER ratio diff than the X240 in std form. If you put on bigger tyres then you will need to change diff ratios. ASAIK the only place to get the different ratios is our Russian friend. He also sells a torsen type locker for the front diff. The front diff is NOT an 8" Toyota one but a GW "special". So bigger tyres will mean changing both diff ratios. If you could track down who now owns mine, you might be able to find out where my crawler transfer box is. I changed that as I had 33" tyres on mine and even with the changed diff ratios it tended to run away in low ratio. The silly bugger that bought mine, got rid of the transfer case as it made wighning noises. That was because it was straight cut gears which are stronger than helical gears but noisier. He then found all my notes that I left with the car but by then it was too late. As far as lifting the body that is easy with blocks. You can raise them about 1'5" with no problems. Above that (mine was 2.25") you need to change the uni joint on the steering shaft. I never bothered changing the rear end(like Dennis did) as the gain is very marginal. For the front you can buy a whole kit (rodeo I think) to get maximum articulation or you can do a diff drop of about 12mm without cutting cross members, or about 18mm by cutting a section out of the cross member and welding a thick strip of metal under it. If you want any info PM me with your email address and I can probably get you some pics. Mine also appeared in 4WD magazine (about no 240).
Wow thank you so much dirvine really appreciate all the help. Will pm you!

I have had the chance to drive a GW x240 only a few days ago (tar roads)... theirs one up for sale in smithfield at STUBB'S auto brokers.. Paint is gone on it but seems to drive ok. . . . . only 145,000 kms i asked if i could take it away this weekend for a 4X4 trip... he LOL at me and said nope.. . . I still think it would be fun to find out how well they go stock... (I do a few odd jobs for him time to time , in return i get to use his workshop on weekends.. to work on my car and camper trailer that i'm bluiding.)