North Pool, Wiluna

tadpole

Went to North Pool the other day with a mate from work for 2 nights. After hearing multiple bad reports about the place, I was a bit worried, but it turns out those reports were way off the mark. The place was clean, quiet and peaceful. The kids had a ball, I caught bulk yabbies and managed to completely chill out for a couple of days. Got my new camp oven out and cooked up a couple of ripper feeds too. Dropped by Well 1 on our way out to have a look. I can now say I've done 10kms of the Canning Stock Route. Not that it was difficult, I didn't even lock in the hubs, but it was just a weird, special feeling being there. Something I want to achieve one day, and it was just nice to see those signs as an intro :)

billolga

I like North Pool - been there a couple of times but it is a bit of a LONG drive from Sydney for me.;)
Were there still plenty of Finches at the Pool?

tadpole

I like North Pool - been there a couple of times but it is a bit of a LONG drive from Sydney for me.;)
Were there still plenty of Finches at the Pool?
I can't remember seeing any finches. Wasn't really looking though. Mind you, I'd imagine you wouldn't be able to miss them with the racket they make! But it was quite peaceful really. Already half planning another trip up there, maybe after winter has passed so the yabbies will be active

Mini

Cool, thanks for the pics, may end up camping there a night waiting for my travel mates to arrive off the Ann Beadell

sharkcaver

It is a very pretty little place hey. I had some parrots that were nesting in a hollowed bow directly above my camp site. And I had the place to myself :) It sure looks green too. lots of water this year, making my task difficult - I am doing the AB in a week myself, currently that and Great central are closed due to flooding :(

Mini

Hey there sharkcaver, what site did you look at to learn both the AB and GCR are closed. Had not even contemplated checking those roads for closure, must have had a $h!t full of rain there, hope T.C. Caleb does not add more as it might affect your travel plans. I leave Cairns May 3 and will be on the GCR by May 6 . Others are leaving Coober Pedy on May 1 for Maralinga then AB to meet up for the CSR. Would appreciate the link or site on these roads.

At the moment, I am waiting for T.C. Debbie to arrive and pass through Cairns. Is there a site to check weather on CSR Also, does this ever close like authorities close the Simpson desert, Birdsvile Track Warburton crossing etc. ???? Thanks, Mini

sharkcaver

laverton shire:
http://www.laverton.wa.gov.au/Road-Condition-Report-Current

This will only tell you the very Western end of the AB, past that and I guess Laverton Police or Ilurkla RH is probably the only other means. There maybe something around Coober Pedy too?? Explore oz site also has a roads condition page. They got a bit of a downpour in Laverton late in the week, hence the closures. TC Caleb could cause some dramas. Quite often, after they cut the coast, they downgrade to a depression and dump their bundle in the interior. But its so far off, I don't believe even if it came through the area, I would still be around by then.

In regards to the Canning, search Halls Ck and Wiluna shires. They will have road closure pages too. Newman may give you some info for the top middle part. If you are already on the CSR and it dumps it's guts, I think you are on your own.

Mini

Hi back shark aver, I do hope you have a great trip and the roads get opened up for you. Looked at the link plus the Shires of Wiluna and east Pilbara. I have bookmarked those pages for future checks. As I am just on 6 weeks out, hoping for some drying out so time is on my side.

Again, have a great trip and thank you for sending the link and your other advices. Best regards, Mini

sharkcaver

You're welcome. I don't think you will have issues in the North. The South is a lottery that time of year. It was a quagmire in early July down south (Some unseasonally large rainfall events caused that).
My trip will be done and dusted before you head off. You can be bored witless with my trip report and video before you go. Oh and I will be watching your trip reports with a keen eye too ;)

Mini

I never get bored witless or $hitless about 4WD adventures, read everything I can and watch heaps of U- tube videos to boot. How long does it take you after your return to get your trip up and posted. And yes, I owe it to all my new contacts to let them know how I went and write in with some pics as well. Take care BTW, we have I swag that sleeps 1, being a tent stretcher by Oztent, a double which is a Kulkyne KAMPER on a frame, the ants pants, and one on 2 wheels that sleeps just 2, our folding Avan Aliner appropriately called " DUZUS", would actually trade it for a more off-road van or a camper trailer. Has not moved that much after we partially destroyed it on the Gibb River Road.

sharkcaver

I try to get onto it asap, but after a trip, well you know.....
unpacking, cleaning, maintenance and then all the other things in life. So its not set in stone when I get my write up done, it just happens asap.

Looked at BOM today. Laverton has had 5" of rain last week. That may kill my AB plans??

tadpole

In Leinster, we had close to 7 or 8 inches last week in just a few days. Wettest March on record here. Flew to Perth on the weekend, and am back now but at work so haven't been out to look around. There is bulk standing water around on site at the moment but most of the roads are ok, and areas holding water are generally firm enough underneath to get through so hopefully you'll be ok