Normal operating temperature for a Mitsubishi triton MK 2.8l turbo diesel

Tomy468

Hey guys,
I'm having trouble with overheating in my Mk Triton, the temperature usually sits just above halfway on the instrument cluster and rises to 3/4 mark when on long distance road trips. I have replaced the radiator, thermo stat, the whole head has been replaced about 20,000km's ago and has new radiator fan and radiator has been cleaned out. I have just purchased a new water temperature gauge and once installed I will now the temperature the engine is running at. Just wondering if anyone else has any other ideas on why its overheating and also if you know what temperature the engine should be running at on longish highway drives
Thanks, Tom

Tink

Try plugging a Scanguage (pr similar) into the OBD2 port and get an accurate temperature for the coolant. The dash gauges are not accurate.
Tink

LanaB

I have the same engine in my 05 Triton. I have an engine watchdog fitted, and around home (country) it reads 75 to 80 (thermostat is a new 77degree high flow) .... BTW, make sure if you fitted the thermostat that the jiggle hole is at the top. When I fitted my new hoses, all of them, I did a complete block flush (with the drain plug removed) twice. It was amazing what came out of the block. If you dont know where that is, it's behind the oil filter up high and it's a 12mm socket job with about 350mm of extention bars. The plug/bolt is straight down as you look up at it. After removing that plug/bolt, make sure that you gently clean out any gunk, replace it loosely, fill your engine with good water (rainwater) then remove the plug again to drain. I did mine with the thermostat removed before I fitted the new one. Of course, I flushed the radiator as well, out of the car. I then used Nevasieze on the thread and a new copper washer and replaced the plug. I then refilled with Nulon Blue coolant, and even yesterday doing some pretty solid sand driving near Robe SA, it never went above 90. As a matter of interest, the engine watchdog varied from 72 (leaving the carpark) to 90 in the sand, yet the factory dash gauge remained in the same spot (visual observance with it's discrepancies ;) Anyway hope that helps you a bit at least. cheers

LanaB

ps, when you did the radiator, did you clean out the core of the aircon condensor from the back to push the gunk out the way it came? If not, that may be blocking your airflow to your radiator. You also say that you replaced the fan, do you mean the thermo coupling or the plastic blades? If you didn't do the thermo coupling, THAT will be having a huge effect on your temperature.