Noisy Tyres

abw

Recently I've been getting a bit of vibration coming through the floor above 80klm.

So I took the Patrol into the tyre shop to get them balanced. They are muddies and the side walls have been getting a bit ratty. So I figured I'd get them flipped over so the writing is on the inside (tread is identical on both sides).

Anyway, after getting this done there is now a heap of tyre noise (far more than before). Any ideas?

mac_man_luke

I have found with muddies if you dont rotate them (including changing the direction they roll) very often they get to a point where you dont want to swap them as they get too noisey and cause other issues.

Even if you rotate them often they will be a bit noisey rolling the opposite direction till they "bed in" again

abw

Yep, I have to admit I haven't rotated them for over 20k. So that could definitely be a factor. Though I'm also suspecting that as they were "flipped over", there may be uneven wear from outside to inside (if that makes sense). Anyway, I'm hoping they will "bed in" and quieten down.

mac_man_luke

Yea im sure it will get better, just be a bit painful till they do.

I try to rotate mine every 5-10k km and it makes a big difference (left to right only due to offset rims)

Albynsw

I used to rotate my muddies every 5k as well to keep them quiet and stop the scalloping but have to say haven’t bothered with the Nittos and they wear just fine
On my second set of them now and they are great

cam04

All muddies heel and toe. By turning them backwards you are presenting the back end of the high side of the block to the road. Yes it is noisy but they will wear down again. There is a school which argues the tyre should spin the same way - rotate fore and aft but don’t change sides. I don’t have the expertise to argue either way.

Reactions: abw

Bomber2012

Im on my 4th set of Cooper stt's and had no problems until the current set I'm running . I spiked a tyre on a rock a few months ago and the current set have started scalloping . Mind you they have just ticked over 50k so I can't winge , its new tyre time so will watch this thread . Loved the Coopers but been looking at the Toyo MT's or Nitto TG's and saving some coin .

shame dysart

I have the bridgestone D674's MT's and found them way quieter than the the maxxis bravo 700 AT's that were on it as well as more grip in all conditions.
I have also rotated them every 3 month's and up till recently they have remained pretty quiet but left it 6 months/10000 ks and the difference was like black and white with the extra wear in the inside front made a major noise and balance difference after the rotation. 10000 later and they are much better but not back to were they were. this is my first set of MT's so still learning what to expect out of them but so far im happy and no were as noisy as other MT's i here going down the road.

ULost2

I hope the bloke who drives past my place quite often will read this thread. His tyres are so noisy I can hear them about a Km away on a 60 kph road !!