No Rear Brake lights

Surf1996

Hi all, I am looking for some advice please.

I have an imported 1996 Surf & I discovered tonight that I dont any brake lights. I have checked the fuse box (engine bay & the underdash doesnt include brake fuse) & it is fine. The 2 rear (L & RHS) globes are both fine. The rear mounted globe ontop of the tailgate is blown.

Would one globe cause the other 2 not to work, & if so would this mean that they6 are wired in series?

cheers

oznog05

Check the grey earth wire that comes out of the tail light is connected. I have a Hilux which has the same problem.

Traveller

Yep, what Brian said. Get a multi meter and test for power from the lights back to the relay to see where
the prob is. May even be the switch under the brake pedal.

Crisp image

Go the brake switch first. If there is power on one side that is good. press the pedal and then check the other side. if power there too then the problem is futher back in the vehicle.
A test light is all that is required for this test.
Thoughts from and ex auto elec. (20 years ago)
Regards
Crisp Image

Surf1996

& the prize goes to those that said brake switch. The interest part of this journey is that the brake switch & the globes were original parts with Japanese stampings on them, which indicates that these parts havent been changed in 14 years which is surprising form globes

thanks all

Watt

I have this problem right now, ever since the huggetts crossing trip i have no brake lights and the fuse in the engine bay keeps blowing.
any advice ??
cheers.

Traveller

You have a short somewhere. Clean around the lights, brackets, globes etc, then follow the wires as
far as you can see them. Also check the trailer plug if you have one, very common the plug fills with
crap, a pin gets bent slightly etc.

Crisp image

I have this problem right now, ever since the huggetts crossing trip i have no brake lights and the fuse in the engine bay keeps blowing.
any advice ??
cheers.

What you can do is replace the fuse with a light globe.(you might have to manafacture something to fit.) If there is a short then the light will glow. Then you look around at the diferent points of the wiring loom etc and when you find the fault the light will go out.
Does the fuse blow as soon as you put it in or when you press the brake. This can indicate if it is before the switch or after it. The trailer plug is a good place to start. Chech where the loom goes through the panels etc.
Good hunting
Regards
Crisp Image

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Agree with Traveller, you have a shorted wire. Would start in the areas the wiring is exposed. I have seen wiring damaged under the covers within the vehicle too but always start in a place a stick or something can hit the wiring.

Watt

Thanks guys, the fuse blows when i hit the brake.
I was told it might be water in the wiring somewhere and once it drys it will be fine but its been a week and still an issue. guess i will have to go for a hunt. i like the globe idea, ill see if i can rig something up.

Crisp image

i like the globe idea, ill see if i can rig something up.

it is something I lernt in a former life as an auto elec.

if it is a blade fuse you may have to destroy a fuse and solder wire to it or a couple of spade terminals filed to fit.
Of course you could put a 3inch nail in there and where the smoke comes out is most likely your problem :) LOL
Regards
Crisp Image

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks guys, the fuse blows when i hit the brake.
I was told it might be water in the wiring somewhere and once it drys it will be fine but its been a week and still an issue. guess i will have to go for a hunt. i like the globe idea, ill see if i can rig something up.

It means the short is after the brake pedal switch, most likely in the bumper bar region. Water (even salty water) doesn't blow fuses in a Big Brown Electrical Smell. Mythbusters proved electrical windows work in a pool (chlorinated and salt). Generally salt water gives a resistance.

billolga

Agree with Traveller, you have a shorted wire. Would start in the areas the wiring is exposed. I have seen wiring damaged under the covers within the vehicle too but always start in a place a stick or something can hit the wiring.

As bmurray said - Exposed areas are often the problem. In my Patrol mud & stones caused problems in the rear bar where the wheels were throwing crap at the wiring until I put a shield of Swimming pool hose pipe over them.

Watt

Had a hunt around tonight but still not fixed. I had a look under the back and the wiring is all covered by conduit... where the trailer plug is linked to the main wiring was covered by electrical tape, so i removed it all to inspect and the wires are all clean and fine.
How does the circuit work... battery - fuse - brake switch - lights - fuse ..???
Am i looking for exposed wire or just somewhere the wires are touching each other?
I will have another go when i have time and some daylight.

Grey Ghost

5th Annual Victorian Gathering member
have a good look at the bulb holders for the brake lights, they are a fairly tight little unit with not much between the positive and negative(earth) terminals. you may have water and/or mud in the back of them and hey presto, blown fuse.
Also does the fuse blow when the brake globe holder are removed from the light assemblies? this could indicate wires touching when they are fully assembled. And when the globes are taken out of the sockets, does the fuse still blow?

Watt

Hi Grey ghost, i havent managed to get the globes/globe holders from the whole light unit. they seem to be stuck in there solid. a bit of dirt on the surface but no mud or water in or around the lights. are the lights in a single circuit or wired in individual circuits. i have only had a play with one of the lights.