Nissan Patrol 2.8 intercooled turbo diesel 1998

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Frosty's Nissan Patrol 2.8 intercooled turbo diesel 1998

Nissan Patrol 2.8 intercooled turbo diesel, 1998

Good Points
This is my 3rd Patrol.Tough and reliable, lasts forever! 208000 km, still on original brakepads. Big and roomy for the kids and all of our gear. Drives like a big car and handles the rough no worries. Other than new injectors, serviceing, mods and maybe a little damage, I hav'nt had to spend a cent. Also, Patrols don't change much so when you do something silly, 2nd hand parts are easily available.

Bad Points
Poor fuel economy.
2.8 a bit gutless towing anything over a couple of tonnes.
Typical Nissan front shudder.
Typical Nissan rattles inside after a few years.

What mods have you done?
75 mm. Dobinson springs, front.
75mm. Dobinsons, rear
TJM XGS shocks all round.
Roo Systems Chip and Dyno Tuned.
Safari Snorkel.
3 " Turbo dump
2.5" straight through system.
Cargo barrier.
Roof console with UHF & CB. (wonder if CB still works?)
Sunrasias & 255/85-16 BFG M/T's
ARB steel Bullbar.
Rallye 4000 Driving lights.
Dual battery system on car and 1 x 500 AH on the camper trailer.
2 Fridge points & 1 cig point in back. 5 cig points up front.
2 waecos 50 lt.
Turbo timer.
GPS.
Reverse/worklight on rear.
120x75/4 mm rhs rear bar with LED's. WILL NOT bend!
Custom built rear drawers

What mods are on the list to do?
V8 turbo diesel.
Reshim the LSD
front Air Locker.
fridge slide for the Waeco.

Why did you buy this vehicle?
1. As mentioned above. 3rd Patrol. Have to pry my lifeless body out of it!
2. It did'nt have a Toyota badge on the front!

How often do you go offroad?
At least monthly, most of the year.

What will your next vehicle be?
Guess!

Last edited:

Quozie

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hey Frosty,
Nice to see another here. I find the 2.8 is seldom seen, how's the 2.5" system on her. I've been considering myself. Economy and sound?

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Quozie,
The 2.5 " straight made a noticable differance, especially once babies came along and I put 1 can back on it. I don't mind the noise but little kids can't sleep with it. Their older now and I got my car back so it's GONE! If you put a snorkel and 2.5" system on at the same time, You will REALLY notice it. Going any bigger on 2.8 is a waste. And after all that, it does sound fat!

KAIBUTSU TORRAKU

Do they really call the 2.8's "Hill Detectors?"

Hi Frosty,

I can't say Ive had the pleasure of owning a 2.8ltr Nissan. I love the badge and I am currently in my fourth.

I like the idea of the small six cylinder, but I don't know anybody who has had one.

I have heard that they slow down on hills at highway speeds. I would be very interested to hear from a person who actually has one. It looks as though you have done a bit to yours to help it along?

Regards,
Glenn

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Gday Glenn,
They are a pretty good little motor but are a bit gutless. Once you learn how to drive them they arn'nt to bad. It's a reliable motor but they do slow down on reasonable hills and because they are underpowered, they are not very economical. Beats walken! I'm looking at doing a v8 diesel conversion in the future.

Quozie

4x4 Earth Contributer
all I can say to frosty's post is Ditto. Except for the V8. She goes anywhere, but you have to know HOW to drive em

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
LCMP 08. Camp road!! Hell track!! makes things work hard!:cool:

Last edited:

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Frosty, looks like that track would be fun going up the hill!;)

Tried that! Hence, no more bumperbars!! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Holes way to deep. No lockers or hydrolics, basicly no chance without damage! Was fun trying.:D

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Currently in the pipeline. Steel on floor and guards are cut off. Just keep running out of time and beer!

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
No, not yet due to INDY. Been a bit busy, to say the least!! Next week hopefully. I've cut the guards out and the bar will wrap underneath the whole rear and connect to the chassis behind rear wheels. This bar is goen NOWHERE!! It is going to incorpoate the tow bar, However, that leaves the fuel tank vulnerable by about an xtra 75 mm. Thinkin, if I do a body lift, will that lift tank as well?

No pics yet but they will happen.

Pure Yobbo

No, not yet due to INDY. Been a bit busy, to say the least!! Next week hopefully. I've cut the guards out and the bar will wrap underneath the whole rear and connect to the chassis behind rear wheels. This bar is goen NOWHERE!! It is going to incorpoate the tow bar, However, that leaves the fuel tank vulnerable by about an xtra 75 mm. Thinkin, if I do a body lift, will that lift tank as well?

No pics yet but they will happen.

Isn't the tank attached to the chassis? So if you do a body lift the tank would stay in the same place?

Give it a body lift anyway.

Sharky

Frosty, I only just read your review, otherwise I would have said something earlier. That front shudder, as you know is very common in Patrols, but alsoexistant in cruisers. The reason for it is that Patrols have a zero tollerance chassis, very rigid, & any wheel or brake rotor that's even slightly out of balance will cause it, & it can be exaggerated by worn tie rod & relay rod ends & worn shocks. It usually occurs at 80-90Km/h & corrects itself after that.

A guy brought a GQ to me a few weeks ago that was so bad, I was too scared to take it over 70Km/h as it felt like the front end was going to part with the rest of the car. All it was, was a badly warped rotor, & a worn relay rod end, complimented by a worn set of shocks.

I have the same issue with my GU. You can tell coz when you apply the brakes, you can feel it grap & let go constantly, & as you slow down, so does the grabbing & letting go.

I hope that helps you get rid of the gremlin!!!!

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks Sharky but I know what it is. Wheel balancing. My GQ had it as well. Both vehicles from near new. When I had the GQ, I went over everything twice. Someone told me years ago about, but I did'nt take much notice. A slight buckle in a rim or non perfect tyre can set it off because the steering geom. is so sensitive. When the tyres get balanced, I watch em and make get it spot on. That usually solves the problam until you lose a weight or force dirt into the bead. I have heard the warped rotor theory and do check them. The truck is actually due for new rod ends etc. because I can feel it wandering on flat road. I also only recently put new TJM shocks all round and it made little difference to the slight shudder. That very slight shudder has not changed over the 7 years I have had this particular truck. The only time it goes is after a very good, acurate wheel balance. I am surprised to hear about the brakes. I have never had a problam ever with the nissan brakes. The GU has now done 225700 km. on the original pads. (about 8 mm left.) I'm going for 300000 km's!! Brakes are over rated, They only slow you down!!