Nissan Pathfinder Clutch 2006

buzz74

Hi,

New to this forum and I'm looking for some help.

I've got a Nissan Pathfinder 2006, 2.5TDI, which I thought was a great car until my clutch started to pack in!! Still under warranty and Nissan are refusing to replace it with only 58k km's on clock and 6months warranty left. Cause they say is wear and tear.

I've read that a few people have had the same problem and have switched from the dual mass flywheel to a standard clutch unit.

Has anyone had the same problem? Can anyone recommend a good conversion kit and who can supply?

WOuld be grateful if anyone can help with this matter.

Buzz74

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Clutch shouldn't have fail that quickly unless you have been slipping the clutch because you doing heavy offroad or poorly adjusted. I would talk to the manager or better call Nissan Australia and talk to the head mechanic or tech advisor.

Jarh73

Sadly a very common problem with R51 Pathfinders.

58,000km is not bad for one of those clutches!

Many have failed much earlier.

PCoA • View forum - R51 Pathfinder (2005 on)

Do a search for "clutch" you will find all the info there.

I'm a member of that forum and can confidently say that you will at the very least find a good startiing point to solve your problem.

Getting rid of the dual mass flywheel is a start.

I have posted some links there that explain exactly what a dual mass flywheel is as well.

Cheers

Justin

Jarh73

Justin, if this is a known issue in the pathfinder, Nissan should replace it.

Mate i agree with you, but Nissan have been reluctant to officially acknowledge many faults with the R51 Pathfinders.

Even though they are common knowledge and indeed very common problems Nissan seems to prefer to duck and weave and find a way out rather than solving the problem.

Cheers

Justin

buzz74

Guys,

Don't get too worked up about it, I've already done that with Nissan. Does seem pretty poor that they are reluctant to admit there is an issue.

My car is in with Nissan at the moment and the photo's have gone off to their technical department, supposedly. If it's not covered by warranty they are fleecing me of $250 for the privilege of removing and replacing the gearbox!! The clutch they say has signs of heat and stress fractures. Unfortunatley for me have only had the car for the last 10k km's and have no idea what the idiot before me did with it! He drove around Sydney in it!!

Anyway, I'll have a look at these other posts and I'll keep you briefed on what happens!!

Buzz

buzz74

Hello again,

Does anyone know if Nissan are still using the dual mass flywheel clutch in newer models??? I hope they're not going to spring one on me that it's a wear problem and then fit a new style to do away with the dual mass crap!!!

Buzz

croozza

Welcome to the worl of Renault......oops I mean Nissan, lots of thins that they have put out lately seems to be crap or not last, 3.0ltr diesel, 2.8 ltr clutch, 2.5ltr clutch, and I hear now the 2.5ltr diesel is starting to have problems, I hear that a few people have had their motors blow. VERY POOR FORM NISSAN.

Jarh73

Hello again,

Does anyone know if Nissan are still using the dual mass flywheel clutch in newer models??? I hope they're not going to spring one on me that it's a wear problem and then fit a new style to do away with the dual mass crap!!!

Buzz

I 'm pretty sure they are sticking with dual mass flywheels.

Also as they don't ackowledge they have a problem why would they change the flywheel????

You best bet will be to go a standard flywheel.

The reason they use dual mass fly wheels is for driveability (note not durability!!!) its case of making sure that gear changes are as smooth as possible as well as taking off from a standstill.

I would have thought learning how to drive a manual smoothly would have been a better option rather than a complicated flywheel set up but what would i know.

Cheers

Justin

croozza

I 'm pretty sure they are sticking with dual mass flywheels.

Also as they don't ackowledge they have a problem why would they change the flywheel????

You best bet will be to go a standard flywheel.

The reason they use dual mass fly wheels is for driveability (note not durability!!!) its case of making sure that gear changes are as smooth as possible as well as taking off from a standstill.

I would have thought learning how to drive a manual smoothly would have been a better option rather than a complicated flywheel set up but what would i know.

Cheers

Justin

So reading between the lines, it would mean that the gearbox is not a very strong one, just like the diffs, (made from glass).

Jarh73

In my humble opinion i really don't think they intend them to seriously go offroad.

Or tow heavy weights a lot of the time, the designers know it does happen but if it happens in less than 1 in 1000 Pathfinders then why make it heavy duty?

Most drivers will just use it as a normally daily driver point A to point B with only dreams of that big trip.

Now for members of this forum that is not the case but from the engineers/designers point of view why build it so strong and off road or towing orientated when in reality very few people will actually do that?

I think that is the real reason 4WD's a re becoming "softer" because most people never use them as 4WD or anything remotely heavy duty.

Once again so people don't bite my head off, I'm not talking about people here on the forum I'm talking about all the people that buy 4WD's and never ever actually intended to use them as 4WD's.

So yeah the gearbox probably is not as strong and I'd bet money these new generation diesels will unlikely be good for 300,000km PLUS.

I'm not knocking these vehicles as they are probably fit for there intended purpose just that the purpose many on here want to use them for is the exception not the rule.

Cheers

Justin

buzz74

Hi guys,

Good news, Nissan replaced the clutch. No problem's with them, which surprised me!!!

So how to the Snowy Mountains this weekend hopefully it'll pass the test!!!!!

Thanks for your help.

Buzz