nissan navara d40

nathan253

just wanted to know what people think of the nissan navara d40. i currently have the d22 and have done 350'000km's of trouble free travels, but would like some opinions on the d40 both as a 4x4 and there reliability. some of the things i have read in complaints corner for example are not so good but sometimes i dont think its a true reflection of a car as when i looked for other models like the hilux and triton there seemed to be just as many issues as each other.
look forward to hearing peoples thoughts good or bad. cheers all

how ya doin Nathan .
From what we see in the workshop ,some people have a good run out of them and more do not .

Problems seem to be alot of injector and injector pump problems . For all common rail disiel injector replacement from $1100 an injector . not including labour /un rebuildable
rear axle bearing problems -axle bearings not avaliable have to buy as a complete axle asseambly from $1300 an axle genuine only or 2nd hand
Thailand build models ,only have toe adjusment on teh front end ,no camber or castor adjusment like other jap utes do so can not lift the front end real high with out any dramas .
Suspension wise you can not lift them as high as a hilux either
botom of transfer case sits very low and can be damaged easily .
These have been some of the dramas we have encountered working on them in the past , on the plus side .
they pull like buggery just for the sake of it go drive a 4ltr v6 one - on paper and in reality blow the doors off a toyota hilux TRD .
off road ability they arent the best but I do find them comfy to drive
Hope this helps

Pure Yobbo

I've got one although only upto 17K. They are made in different countries depending on the model you have. ST (I have) and then the STX built elsewhere,

I am impressed by how it drives tows and so on. But as far as a true offroad rig i will stick to my Patrols they are a bit too low for my liking.

nathan253

thanx for the reply ,all input is much appreciated.
i have heard that the hilux suffers with injector issues as well is this the case?
also what would you recommend in the 4x4 ute range as i said earlier i have d22 and have found it to be ok in the bush and really reliable and would like to get something that fits that criteria. i need to get something with a bit more space in the back as my kids are getting to big to be in it for any long trips

nathan253

I've got one although only upto 17K. They are made in different countries depending on the model you have. ST (I have) and then the STX built elsewhere,

I am impressed by how it drives tows and so on. But as far as a true offroad rig i will stick to my Patrols they are a bit too low for my liking.

i drove the 2010 ST today and from what i could tell they seem to be nice to drive do you know where these models are made? i think i read somewhere its spain is that right? and do you know if you can lift this model ?

Pure Yobbo

i drove the 2010 ST today and from what i could tell they seem to be nice to drive do you know where these models are made? i think i read somewhere its spain is that right? and do you know if you can lift this model ?

Spain is the STX. Tailand is the ST. They are both as good as each other although the rear seats folding up in the STX is a good thing.

Georgealmighty

hi nathan,

i used tow work at nissan when the d40 was launched.....i swore to myself i would never buy one.
-driving wise (space, comfort, power) very nice, loved it, they had an annoying problem with a plastic dash rattle
-reliability, already summed up, known for having low transfercases, and fuel system issues (alot of new common rail fuel systems have issues because of our bad quality of fuel in aus)
-build quality (this was the decision maker) peice of crap! i admit most cars these days are subject to manufactuering cost cutting, however iv seen endless rattles and noises come from various components, door handles snap off in your hand, plastic trims dont even sit right from the factory, poor paint quality up round the roof and windscreen (thin and rust development).

dont get me wrong, i love nissan and would take alot to get me to switch to a toyota or mits.
my advise is to buy a new d22. proven, bulletproof, if i was going to buy a new ute, i wouldnt even bother looking, id go straight in and pick the colour and sign on the dotted line. Proven reliability!
iv seen these things used as sewage security vehicle from 0km-400 000km and the only problem they had was 1 out of 4 of them blew a turbo gasket.
keep on top of servicing and you'll love them

nathan253

hi nathan,

i used tow work at nissan when the d40 was launched.....i swore to myself i would never buy one.
-driving wise (space, comfort, power) very nice, loved it, they had an annoying problem with a plastic dash rattle
-reliability, already summed up, known for having low transfercases, and fuel system issues (alot of new common rail fuel systems have issues because of our bad quality of fuel in aus)
-build quality (this was the decision maker) peice of crap! i admit most cars these days are subject to manufactuering cost cutting, however iv seen endless rattles and noises come from various components, door handles snap off in your hand, plastic trims dont even sit right from the factory, poor paint quality up round the roof and windscreen (thin and rust development).

dont get me wrong, i love nissan and would take alot to get me to switch to a toyota or mits.
my advise is to buy a new d22. proven, bulletproof, if i was going to buy a new ute, i wouldnt even bother looking, id go straight in and pick the colour and sign on the dotted line. Proven reliability!
iv seen these things used as sewage security vehicle from 0km-400 000km and the only problem they had was 1 out of 4 of them blew a turbo gasket.
keep on top of servicing and you'll love them

thanks for your input, it does seem like the d40 has more than a few issues. i agree with you about the d22 but they now run the same 2.5 common rail as the d40 but a de-tuned version which actually works out to have less power and torque than the 3lt one i have now and the tray is slightly longer reducing the exit angle.my other problem is that my kids need more room in the back. so as much as i would love to just get another d22 i am worried about the changes made and the lack of space.
anyway thanks again. nathan

blaknav

hi nathan
ive got a 2009 d40 and i tow a big heavy trailer with it every day its just clicked over 50,000
and so far ive had no real dramas with it .
saying that as gorgealmighty has said it does have a few annoying plastic rattles from around the dash.
also the factory suspention isnt worth its weight at the scrappers. as soon as you put anything in the back heaver than a pack of smokes the springs invert ive put an iornman 40mm lift in mine and it drives 100% better
but other than that ive been really happy with it it tows awesome
ive been bush in it a few times now and its not been stuck yet (medium tracks only so far) but it does like to drag its bum around a bit cos of all the overhang but it mainly just hits the tow bar ive had no damage from anything so far

hope this helps mate