Nissan 4.2 turbo Intercooled Diesel Cab Chassis 2006

BUSHNUT

Nissan 4.2 turbo Intercooled Diesel Cab Chassis, 2006

Good Points
Basically unstoppable, tows the Kimberly Camper really well, you hardly know it is there

Bad Points
with the tarp canopy rear vision reversing is a bugger , hence the reversing camera

What mods have you done?
2 inch lift King's coils, big Koni shocks, dual battery system, reversing camera

What mods are on the list to do?
winch, tossing with the idea of Hydraulic instead of electric, used to have a PTO on my old 60 seriies Toyota which are the best, but want something transferable from vehicle to vehicle

Why did you buy this vehicle?
Heaps of storage room,don't need the extra seating now that its just the House Fuehrer, my Jack Russell and my self, can leave the gear in it ready to go, just top up food box, throw food and grog in the twin Engels, toss in a bag of clothes and your away, no stuffing around with rear seat configurations to get all your gear in

How often do you go offroad?
About every six weeks

What will your next vehicle be?
Nissan, I will review Toyota when they stop putting light weight diffs in the front

Attachments

• bushnut.jpg
    bushnut.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 199

Daz

The choice between electric and hydraulic each present their own pros and cons. Electric require big amp draws which require big dual batteries, heavy cabling, etc. On the other hand hydraulic don't need big amps but require you to tee into your power sterring circut. For this you need the engine running (no good if you've stalled mid river).

My personal choice would hydraulic since I work in that industry, but powered by a small power pack like found on the tail gate loaders to drive the winch. You would only get moderate amp draw and it can be run with the engine off. The only problem that all the ones I've seen are 24 volt.

Darren

BUSHNUT

Thanks Darren.

WHERE WOULD BE THE BEST PLACE TO START SOURCING APOWER PACK OF THIS NATURE ? i MUST ADMIT A TEE PIECE OF THE STEERING PUMP WAS NOT THE IDEAL THING AND WAS THINKING OF PERHAPS RUNNING A HYDRAULIC PUMP OF SOME NATURE OFF ONE OF THE BELTS, BUT HAD NOT LOOKED INTO IT AS YET. YOUR CONCEPT WOULD BE IDEAL. APPRECIATE THE FEEDBACK

JAN

Last edited:

BUSHNUT

Hi'

Have found the after market coils and shocks a great improvement, was tempted to go with the tough dog shocks but have always had Koni's,I guess it was a sort of thing that that I have always run the big koni oils and they have never let me down, had no fading problems on either the Sturt stony Desert or the Simpson desert, the only thing I would do different with the coils on the cab chassis is perhaps have a slightly taller setup in the rears as they do seem not to recommend Firestone air bags or polyairs in the rears and being a ute, sometimes you can get slightly a bit of bum down as you tend to get" Can you carry this for me ?' as you always have space. The Konis and the front coils are off my old GQ wagon that I traded in on this machine and they are still going strong, the beauty of the Konis is that they can be serviced. The setup certainly keeps the boots on the ground the standard ones are just okay and thats about all you say about them.

You can have the best suspension but you have to have a good all round tyre for the bush, for around the bitumen . for the first time in my life, i have the luxury of having one set for the black top and another for when I want to get down and get dirty,I have the Bridgestone all terrains that come standard with the patrols and whilst they handled the desert sand without any problem, a less aggressive tread is better for sandy conditions ( you dont tend to dig in as much ), I certainly feel more confident in something more sustantial, presently run Cooper ST's on sunraysia steels for my alpine trips and find them quite adequate. Have run BF Goodrich all terrains on the Toyota I had, they are fine too, havent tried any other brands to compare- again it is a case of sticking with what hasn't let you down in the past.

Happy trails Ian

Last edited:

goldrush

Great rig. As soon as my kids are out from under my feet I'd like to trade the GU wagon in on a ute and deck the back out for camping.

PB4x4ers

Has anybody installed a dual battery system under the hood of a 89 NG TDI Pajero import which holds a 100aH battery ?