Niki Lauda

shanegtr

To come back to racing competitively after that crash at the nurburgring shows his sheer determination - mentally that must have been a huge thing to overcome and have the confidence to push to the limit, along with the pain/discomfort of his healing burns I cant see it being something many drivers would be able to cope with.

To come back to racing competitively after that crash at the nurburgring shows his sheer determination - mentally that must have been a huge thing to overcome and have the confidence to push to the limit, along with the pain/discomfort of his healing burns I cant see it being something many drivers would be able to cope with.
6 weeks later he raced again! Tough man to say the least

discomatt

Those were the days F1 was truly motor racing and drivers were skilled.
And F1 is no longer full of skilled drivers??
I remember seeing Richard Hammond, who is no slouch behind a wheel, drive a F1 car and couldn't drive it fast enough to get the brakes up to temp or even maintain the tire temps he left the pits with because his brain couldn't react fast enough and he simply could not drive the car fast enough to get it to work.
IMO F1 is still the peak of car racing it just a shame it can be such a procession

phs

I remember seeing Richard Hammond, who is no slouch behind a wheel, drive a F1 car and couldn't drive it fast enough to get the brakes up to temp or even maintain the tire temps he left the pits with because his brain couldn't react fast enough and he simply could not drive the car fast enough to get it to work.
IMO F1 is still the peak of car racing it just a shame it can be such a procession
No doubt the current line up is super skilled, as you mentioned not a lot of people can drive them at all as they need to be going fast for the tyres and brakes to do there job

But there is a huge difference from Nikki s day to now back then you were driving to stay alive a crash could very well be it

Rhett HS

I went go karting when i was in my teens. I thought i was going fast. I wondered why i couldnt see any other karts, the track seemed to have emptied. Then i got overtaken by a radical manouvre and realised there was a line up of locals behind me. I realised you could hammer them a lot harder through the turns. I went a lot faster after that.

Its unlikely richard hammond has what it takes to be an F1 driver but if there was another driver on the track as a reference point it could have made it easier.

I guess rally guys dont have that so they must look pretty hard at the clock times.

Barra GU

Cmon mate dnt be silly, you ever seen a winch truck driver do their thing? Foot on the loud pedal and bouncing off every tree and hope for the best!

Now thats skill lol