Newnes after the fires

Toddyh

Most people will know the 'State Mine Fire' ripped through Newnes State Forest a couple of weeks back. I passed by on the weekend so stopped in for a quick look.

This is from Bald Hill Trig station
Before:

After:

Whole area is decimated, escpecially the higher areas where only shrubs grew. Some more photos:

Bungleboori Camp ground and the adjacent pine plantation was saved in the majority. You can see evidence of spot fires inside the plantation but the majority is still intact. Camp:

Across the track from camp:

03hilux

You'd be forgiven for thinking it was a completely different area. Great photos there Todd.

I drove along Richardson rd and Tomago rd today for work, which the entire area was burnt out in the Heatherbrae fires. It was a bit eerie in parts. And last week, drove up the pacific hwy through Catherine hill bay. Both sides of the road were black as far as the eye could see, with many trees just being bare of any foliage at all.

mattyj

how did the miners museum stand up i wanted to take my kids up there next yeah. maybe i should have done it this year

Toddyh

You'd be forgiven for thinking it was a completely different area. Great photos there Todd.

I drove along Richardson rd and Tomago rd today for work, which the entire area was burnt out in the Heatherbrae fires. It was a bit eerie in parts. And last week, drove up the pacific hwy through Catherine hill bay. Both sides of the road were black as far as the eye could see, with many trees just being bare of any foliage at all.

This fire has burnt along the ground. Most of the trees still have leaves (all dead) but there is nothing left on the ground. All shrubs and undergrowth are gone. This fire is a pretty clear example of lack of hazard reduction.

how did the miners museum stand up i wanted to take my kids up there next yeah. maybe i should have done it this year

Do you mean the shale oil mine ruins? All these photos are around the Zig Zag area so I can't confirm how Newnes 'town' is. If I was to guess I would say it probably survived. I don't think the fire went up Wolgan Road.

Toddyh

Just a quick video of the track back from Bald Hill. This used to be bush pinstripe territory.
[YOUTUBE]SUHuxqfAxuY[/YOUTUBE]

prawns

Interesting to see the comparison shots, the fire sure didnt leave much did it.

You will have to make a 3rd trip out there mate in a month or so perhaps :D
Once the land starts to recover it can look quite interesting as well (bright green plants shooting up randomly over a black landscape)

mattyj

Do you mean the shale oil mine ruins? All these photos are around the Zig Zag area so I can't confirm how Newnes 'town' is. If I was to guess I would say it probably survived. I don't think the fire went up Wolgan Road.

miners museum on state mine gully rd

Toddyh

I think the fire started just north of there. It is all burnt around there but I'm pretty sure the buildings are undamaged.

peejaycruiser

We did a look see run along the ridgeline above our town, and it's the same deal as there. Nothing much to see now, was green and now it's just blackness. Fire certainly doesn't descriminate when it's been through.