Newby thinking about his first time.....

Frug

Hey there everyone.

Just joined and ready to begin my new hobby!!

I've got a Subaru Forester 2006 that i've just put some off-road tyres on. I couldn't a full on 4wd, so the Suby is as good as I've got.

Love the detailed maps and advice.

Was thinking about driving the Hi Tree Extension Track (just out of Melbourne) as a starter. Any tips? I'm going with another mate who has one of those new Toyota F (somethings), so if i get stuck, at least there's 2 of us.

Cheers
Doug

FATXAGT

I have no idea about the track you speak of or the capabilities of a subaru off road. Just make sure you have some sort of recovery gear.

Cams

I am relatively new at this too. A very simple lesson I learned on my first trip off road was that knowing you have a slow leak in one (or more) of your tires and not getting it sealed is a big no no. Even if the leak is super slow. This plus not knowing what a lock nut is, so taking it out before the trip. On waking up I had a flat tire, couldn't get the wheel off, and had to drive 30km on a flat to find a farm and help.

But I sure as hell won't do it again!

billolga

We all have to start somewhere & the Subi is not bad - You just have to learn it's limitations & yours.

Do a few trips with someone that knows what there doing - find out the recovery points (NOT the tie down points) to start with.

nao

the fozza is a good car..a friend drove one across the simo...car made it ok ..to the amazement of many..but lots of recoveries...

redandy3575

Forester's are suprisingly not bad off-road to what i've seen, though i don't think they've got low range in them.

Frug

does anyone know where the winch points are, if any, on the Forester 2006? front and/or rear?

Cheers
D