reel

G'Day Everyone,

Currently on the Gold Coast, recently retired with minimal 4x4 experience seeking new adventures in my Mitsubishi Pajero Sport and advise from experienced members.

2luxes

Welcome to the forum. What is your is idea of new adventures? Are you thinking of mountains, deserts or something else?

reel

Mostly sand (Moreton, Fraser & Straddy) and travelling around the country when my hybrid caravan show up within the next couple of months.

2luxes

Back in late 1971 and early '72 while in the Armed Forces, I spent three months driving all day everyday on a huge beach with endless sandhills. That cured me of any desire to drive on beach sand for the rest of my life. My wife and I still love remote sandy desert tracks but I would not like to do that with a caravan.

If this is your first venture into caravans, I suggest you have a look at the RV Books website. There is a lot of free reading on van stability, tow cars etc. that could make the difference between rolling the whole lot over on your first trip or having years of enjoyable travelling

Lost1?

Welcome. Setting up your tow vehicle and loading your van are important to determining how enjoyable your trips will be. Time for a lot of reading is my advice.

Pulling a van on the.sand islands can be hard work, but achievable. I recall a bloke.that used to pull his caravan into campsites on the beach side of Bribie Island with his NJ V6 Pajero, so it can be done. But you need.to practise somewhere like Bribie before going to the other less populated areas.

Start out.with 4wd offroad driver training. Then play in areas that are frequented by people just in case you have an.oh sh1t moment on a beach when learning.

If towing regularly you will need to assess your suspension to carry the weight.of.the van and I recommend buying a set of second hand 17 inch triton rims to fit LT rated all terrain tyres. The smaller.rim will increase the sidewall height of the tyre. This will provide you a longer tyre footprint in sand and provide.greater.traction. Once.you complete.your driver training you will appreciate.this in greater detail.

Good luck and.enjoy.