Newbie-Looking for advice on a vehicle

Colly18

What state are you located? Got a 105 with 200k on the clock. Twin gas tanks and petrol. In SA
Something like this or this https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1999-toyota-landcruiser-gxl-auto-4x4/SSE-AD-6292489/?Cr=3
a low km dual fuel Land Cruiser appeals to me much more than an equivalent age diesel.
I tend to favour the environmentally cleaner option of LPG-petrol compared to diesel (despite acknowledging the torque benefits of diesel). Over a couple decades I've run a dual fuel FJ60 LandCruiser and a dual fuel Disco One V8, happy with the running costs (as one runs them on LPG most of the time) and happy in thinking I was running pretty clean emissions.

Something like this or this https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1999-toyota-landcruiser-gxl-auto-4x4/SSE-AD-6292489/?Cr=3
a low km dual fuel Land Cruiser appeals to me much more than an equivalent age diesel.
I tend to favour the environmentally cleaner option of LPG-petrol compared to diesel (despite acknowledging the torque benefits of diesel). Over a couple decades I've run a dual fuel FJ60 LandCruiser and a dual fuel Disco One V8, happy with the running costs (as one runs them on LPG most of the time) and happy in thinking I was running pretty clean emissions.
Excuse my ignorance. I have heard that dual fuel tend to give more maintenance and trouble long run. Is that true? Or is it just a myth?
Does the LPG tank require to change in certain years?

Colly18

My experience is that properly maintained lpg and petrol vehicles give no more trouble than a diesel. In fact maintenance/repair costs may be less over time(?) Like any vehicle purchase the key is to find a vehicle that has been well maintained (and with a dual fuel vehicle one with a quality LPG conversion). With any s/h vehicle purchase i think it wise to get it thoroughly checked out by a mechanic you trust combined with a state Auto Club (RAA, RACV, RACQ, etc) vehicle inspection report prior to purchase.
The lpg tanks need to be inspected and re-certified every 10 years, but not replaced (unless they fail inspection). A relatively minor expense in the long-term scheme of things.
These days I run a diesel Colorado as my holiday vehicle because they simply don't make petrol utes at this point in time. But I (very happily) run a dual fuel sedan as my daily.
If considering a dual fuel vehicle you need to consider the availability and price of LPG locally (where you will be mostly using your vehicle). A number of outlets are phasing out LPG, but IMO it will be around for at least another decade in higher population cities and towns. And the way things are going with emissions don't be surprised if diesel vehicles are phased out over the next decade or two(?) :) We may all be looking at electric 4X4's in a decades time(?)

Yeah this one i saw has 2 gas tanks that have just been certified. One owner got me. Hell i might even buy it myself!

Colly18

Too many km on the dial for my liking, unless you can talk to and trust the previous owners and be confident the vehicle has been meticulously maintained (evidenced with receipts). Do some research on life of and replacement costs for diesel engine injectors.

discomatt

Prado's that have done off road or dirt road touring crack the skirts up arond the shocker area and chassis where the engine mounts are, have seen a few with the mount almost totally collapsed into the chassis rail.
Both are an easy fix but need to be done properly not just botched up

Too many km on the dial for my liking, unless you can talk to and trust the previous owners and be confident the vehicle has been meticulously maintained (evidenced with receipts). Do some research on life of and replacement costs for diesel engine injectors.
Yaa i heard its gonna cost a fortune to fix a diesel injectors... sadly my budget puts me on high mileage zone. I think i shouldincrease the $$$$

Prado's that have done off road or dirt road touring crack the skirts up arond the shocker area and chassis where the engine mounts are, have seen a few with the mount almost totally collapsed into the chassis rail.
Both are an easy fix but need to be done properly not just botched up
Damn never knew that. Thanks for the tip. I'll have to check closely engine mounts....

RBJET

If you're new to the game and don't intend on doing any long distance remote touring straight away then I'd look at something Petrol.
They may be thirsty but the initial purchase price will be much less and so will on going maintenance costs you'd think.
I'd jump on that Petrol cruiser if I didn't do so many KM. Would make a very nice first 4WD.

If you're new to the game and don't intend on doing any long distance remote touring straight away then I'd look at something Petrol.
They may be thirsty but the initial purchase price will be much less and so will on going maintenance costs you'd think.
I'd jump on that Petrol cruiser if I didn't do so many KM. Would make a very nice first 4WD.
Yaa i get lot of vibe that go with petrol. Only concern is that i am planning to run long distance as long drives is my favorite part. I used to drive Mel to Adelaide straight may be one spit stop. I need that excitement thats why i am leaning towards diesel. But it seams more initial capital and little more expensive for maintenance. I am struggling to make up my mind... :(

RBJET

You have to weigh up how many km you think you'd do on average and whether you think the diesel saving would be worth it.
I wanted something modern and average 800KM a week so went diesel.
If you don't drive it much during the week and only do the occasional long stint then the saving of diesel wouldn't be worth it.
If you're going to look at Cruisers, it's roughly a $10K price jump to turbo diesel which bye's a lot of fuel and mods.

You have to weigh up how many km you think you'd do on average and whether you think the diesel saving would be worth it.
If you don't drive it much during the week and only do the occasional long stint then the saving of diesel wouldn't be worth it.
If you're going to look at Cruisers, it's roughly a $10K price jump to turbo diesel which bye's a lot of fuel and mods.
Agreed... cheap car lot of mods. Expensive car no mods for while.

What about the longevity? Or long term? Can a petrol last long time? I am trying to get one and keep for awhile.

RBJET

Nothing wrong with Petrol, the only thing I can think of that will stop a petrol cruiser is deep water really, but it can be sorted.
There are currently around 500 petrol Cruisers on Carsales and the majority of them have over 200K KM.

Another thing i heard was if its a diesel engine they require to keep running. I mean fairly regularly unless engines starting to give trouble. Is it true? If its gonna be stored for while will that cause engine damage?