Newbie help: LandCruiser-Patrol or ???

Nhereward

Hello all,

I am planning on getting my first 4x4.
My girlfriend and I are hoping to camp in it long term. We are from the UK but are landing in Perth this November.
The main controller of what we get is the budget. We are looking at 10000 AUD to be the top end of our budget for the car. It also need to be big enough to sleep in when we can’t pitch a tent. We will be on unsealed roads and tracks often hence the need for a 4x4 not just a van. From looking I think a mid-late 90’s, Manual, diesel Lancruiser or Patrol. But since I’m inexperienced I thought I’d ask others on their opinion.
What do you guys think my options are?

red hilux

Well. Depending on where you want to go, if your wanting to sleep in it and not on it, then the patrol or landcruiser is prob not the right option.

You may need to store your gear elsewhere. Like your fridge.

So, a van is a better option. It’s 4wd, it’s a van. For touring it’s ideal. Can lift it if you want. Not made for rock hopping but will do you in sand and tracks
Something like this. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/east...p_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Colly18

Hi,
As an intro. I've travelled around this country extensively over the past few decades and noted with interest how internationals travel and sometimes struggle with touring vehicles. Red Hilux gives good advice, providing you can find a good, reliable vehicle.
You probably need to give us a better idea of what places you have in mind travelling to (where and when). Arriving in WA/Perth in November means the beginning of summer, so you won't want to be travelling on remote desert roads or top of the country (wet season) then (?)
To be honest, if you use common sense a 2 wheel drive vehicle will get you most places, even on dirt roads and tracks. For decades that is what many people living in remote desert communities used, and often still use today. And having a 4WD vehicle will not keep you out of trouble on difficult roads/tracks if you lack experience in driving and using one.
I'm a sceptic when it comes to buying second hand vehicles, believing most are being sold for a reason and often that is because there is a significant fault/repair that needs to be made, so buyer beware.
I.M.O. I'd consider buying a newer lower kilometre wagon, such as a Ford Falcon BF Mark 2 or 3 for touring Australia. There will always be the inconvenience of occasionally unpacked the rear to make way for sleeping inside the vehicle, but that will be rarely as you can erect a small tent almost anywhere. But chances are you will get a vehicle that is cheaper to run and maintain than on older Toyota or Patrol, and far more reliable than most. Add to that most mechanics around the country will know how to repair them and parts should be plentiful.
https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Ford-Falcon-2008/SSE-AD-5299749/?Cr=2
You may also consider contacting the state Royal Auto Association and joining (if possible?), as they offer roadside assistance Australia wide and also a pre-purchase inspection of your vehicle (lessons the chance of you buying a dud vehicle)
https://rac.com.au/car-motoring/roadside-assistance
And if you do go with a 4WD vehicle and are new to 4WD'ing, consider doing a 4WD training course before you head bush.
I know there are a couple suggestions here that may cost you a few dollars, but it may be dollars well spent to save you in the long run.

Reactions: abw

Nhereward

Thanks for your replies!
Sleeping in the car isn’t a necessity, it’s just somthing we’ve thought of. I realised that during the Christmas months the north would be too wet. We will be definitely be joining the Royal Auto Association or somthing similar. We may be thinking about our budget a lot but we will spend the money when we need to.
I have looked at vans or estate cars too, but read some traveller blogs saying they wish they got a 4x4 instead.
I’m also open to doing a 4WD/bush training course, it’s a great idea.
I’m terms of the trip plan, we could end up anywhere in Australia but to start with we’d planned a short trip to the south of Perth through Margret river to test the car. We’d then planned to make our way up to exmouth and coral bay as we are both divers. After that we don’t know, if we get work for a few months we’d probably head over to the east cost after, going to Fraiser island would be a highlight.
The idea behind getting a LandCruiser or patrol is they’ll be able to tackle almost everything we come across and are big enough for everything we need (we’re used to living out of a backpack)

Blue_haired_man

A 4x4 will definitely give you a few more options on places to see, but a higher initial cost, and higher ongoing service/running costs, so it’s a bit of a 6 or half a dozen.

Personally, I’d be leaving the trip north till about March onwards, after the storm season. It’s not uncommon to be flooded in for weeks up that way. Plenty to see along the south of Australia through the summer months. And the biggest tip yet, steer clear of Fraser on school holidays.
Cheers

Nhereward

You’d say up around exmouth would be bad weather condition at that time of year? Didn’t realise that was far enough north.

Blue_haired_man

You’d say up around exmouth would be bad weather condition at that time of year? Didn’t realise that was far enough north.
Could be perfect or could go to crap pretty quickly if a couple of lows or cyclones hit or sit off the coast. Either way it will be rather warm.

Nhereward

Could be perfect or could go to crap pretty quickly if a couple of lows or cyclones hit or sit off the coast. Either way it will be rather warm.

Good to know! We’re lucky that our plans can change as we have no time constraints or places we need to be at a certain time.

Colly18

Yep, Exmouth is definitely in the 'cyclone belt'. Contact the Exmouth (Ningaloo) Visitor Information Centre and seek their advice re time to visit. The area is definitely great for snorkelling and diving. I'd think Coral Bay/Exmouth first up on your trip (early in the potential cyclone season, which from my observations could be anywhere from November to May, but more likely Dec-March) then back down south to SW Western Australia. Hopefully early enough to beat the post Xmas holiday crowds (?)
I'm sure you will get plenty of ideas/advice on this forum about 'must see' attractions and associated tips if you inquire.

hiluxdriver

I've seen backpackers in every type of busted arse vehicle and not all were 4wd. Maybe it's part of the adventure to not have one?
Exmouth will be very hot and very flipping windy over summer (and loads of flies) so postpone that to the cooler months. Just get something in good mechanical condition and she'll be....

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
G'day mate and welcome to Earth.
Guess I am a bit biased. I drive a 1991 Landcruiser Troopy ( Troop carrier) . A lot of people sleep in these fitted out as they travel full time around Australia. Tourists hire and buy them as well as the hightop ones for full on sleeping, cooking camping etc.
At times you will come across tourists from other countries over here who are looking for a quick sale of one before returning home.
Get onto the site T.O.A. ( Troop Carriers of Australia) , first link below, see if you can join up and see heaps of information.
People will help you with advice even check out a vehicle for you and if you get into trouble will connect you with mechanics, places to camp, even put you up, etc. We are all called legends which mean we do anything to help out.
Second link below is the buy, swap and sell.
Cheers.
Azza.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/108913365878238/

https://www.facebook.com/groups/troopybuyswapsell/
DSCN4558.JPG

DSCN4570.JPG

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Here is an example from the buy swap sell site of T.O.A. just for info as it may have been sold???
https://www.facebook.com/groups/troopybuyswapsell/

Toyota Land Cruiser Troop carrier 1996 diesel bushcamper
$8,500
Troopie for sale
New diff and battery
Dual battery Solar panels comes with Waeco car fridge,water tank , sink , roof top bed
403000 on the clock but runs great only selling due to going overseas for work
40020805_10160683803740175_4193148056796921856_n.jpg
40085634_10160683803785175_3409672986087653376_n.jpg
40035457_10160684051620175_7962033918335516672_n.jpg

discomatt

Or going around corners...
or comfort...
or towing in 5th
shall I go on?
Na just bitter because I don't own one:p

Lost1?

If your travelling 2 up only, then a single cab Ute with a canopy could be an option. Colorado, Hilux or triton would be an option. More options are better. The Tues would be a bit cheaper to run than a cruiser or patrol.