Newbie from Sydney and newbie to 4x4 :)

TAWK

Hi guys,

just purchased an 80 series land cruiser, stock standard aside from a steel front bar.
Have big plans to slowly complete the necessary upgrades to venture out into some quiet places in NSW (to begin with) with my wife and my baby boy (he is almost 2 now :)

it’s quite daunting going out into the bush not really knowing what type of tracks you are going to come across, so my question is does anyone have any great suggestions on which tracks would be great to ease myself into 4x4 with my family. Something really easy and quiet and enjoyable for the whole family. I would love to do some hard tracks in the future but for now something nice and easy :)

Attachments

• 8705FE72-A83C-4CC1-B913-D248968D16DC.png
    8705FE72-A83C-4CC1-B913-D248968D16DC.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 50

itlldoo

for a nice day out mate. easy drive. welcome to earth.

TAWK

for a nice day out mate. easy drive. welcome to earth.

Thanks mate appreciate the fast response, will check this one out

CTL

Welcome to Earth. An 80 is a great fourbie to start off your adventures in. Enjoy

themage21

Welcome (I'm new too) There's a very popular book by Boiling Billy Publications - 4x4 Tracks close to Sydney. Get it. It's the best way to get in to the well known and well explored tracks around Sydney. Everything from day trips to long weekends.

In terms of tracks, Glowworm is definitely a favourite for everyone. Even just picking dirt roads instead of taking the tar gets you experience, lets you get the vehicle in 4wd (good for the mechanicals too, gives them a spin). There's lots of driving to be had around the Newnes Plateau (that Glowworm is part of) of all different grades, so a good place to go to and get a feel for things.

The Watagans at the back of the Central Coast are another popular area - so long as you stay to the main tracks (which cars can drive on, but are all dirt), there's not a lot of risk. But some of the side tracks there are very gnarly and should be left until you're more confident and preferably have someone with you in another vehicle, so stick to the main tracks while you build your ability.

If your preferred direction is south, I'm not so good on that unfortunately, not unless you want to go along the Hume and head out from Bowral or Goulbourn to the Wombeyan Caves area.