New vs Old vehicles - your choice and why?

Batts88

A lot of comments about electronics takes me back to when fuel injection first came out, the old and trusted carby is way more reliable….
And they are still being used today. Whether or not it makes for a cheaper sale they still must be competitive to efi in the econ battle because if they weren't they would have disappeared by now.

Rusty Panels

Theres little doubt that modern vehicles are generally more reliable than they were in the old days. You rarely see anyone stopped on the side of the road due to engine problems in wet weather anymore. Fuel injection and electronic ignitions have pretty much done away with having your engine tuned up. It wasn't that long ago that you needed to change your spark plugs, replace the points and condenser and adjust your ignition timing etc at least once or twice a year depending on how you drove the car. Then there was the added problem of finding a mechanic who could actually do the job well.
There were and still are any number of crappy mechanics out there. The modern vehicles make the crappy ones look better because at least they don't need to tune your engine.
So, if you service the car and change the filters regularly most modern vehicles will perform very reliably. The high tech gadgetry that most are embracing however is a different story. The more gadgets the greater the chance of problems.
Trouble is that we get so used to having these items at our disposal that when they break we can't go on without them.

rob_macca67

One thing that annoys me the most with NEW vehicles is all the warning sounds/buzzers... We had a 2010 Prado and even though it was reliable as a tourer, it used to annoy me every time u had to stop and open a gate or wanted to stop and get out while leaving you're engine running, etc. I don't need a buzzer or whatever telling me that I've left the engine running. This is commonplace to all new vehicles and to me is something that may prevent me from buying new until I'm old and no longer wanting to do adventurous touring, etc...

I ended up going old school Defender as our replacement tourer and it was ok but not really good when u have 3 teenagers having to sit in the rear seat - No headrests and little room, so I bought one of the last Defenders that have better seating front and rear and slightly more legroom for the 2nd-row occupants. The driving performance is chalk and cheese between the 2 Defenders with the Old one being totally school mechanical and can handle poor quality fuel, etc whereas the newer Defender had a 2.4 Tdci engine that has been remapped and goes like the clappers should I choose to "but" the big thing is it is more sensitive to bad fuel which has caught me out in the middle of the desert as few years ago. I now have a 2nd fuel filter but I still get concerned every now and then.

It's great having the choice between modern and old school as well...
If I feel like just getting back to basics of driving/exploring & having the time to take in the sights, then the old Defender is the way to go and I love driving it.... but it is very slow compared to the Puma Defender. This one has just about all the needs I need and no beeping, etc and has heaps of power when required and this is the vehicle for the more remote touring...

Not sure what I'll do in regards to vehicles when I get to retire, but I do like the idea of converting the Defender to a pop-top Camper or buying a Troopy and doing the poptop camper thing with it as it has about 200mm extra interior length over the Defender...

Toyasaurus

Most of the modern cars and 4x4`s are designed for the people with no common sense and even less mechanical sympathy.

Few of the younger gen could drive an old car for any length of time, without damaging it in some way.

I don`t know how or when to turn the headlights on, or the wipers, I can`t reverse park or stay in my lane.

To much other shit on my mind, driving is the 3rd or 4th most important thing to do whilst I`m driving.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Years ago late at night I lost my lights etc. and I knew that I had blown a fuse. I rang RACV., The bloke came out and said "You've blown a fuse"and he replaced it. I knew that but I did not have a fuse. ;).
Always when RACV came out they eventually fixed my problems.
Not now.
Couple of years ago I did my clutch master cylinder while in Eden and could not get help from Toyota dealearship because I had to book in and wait a week????? No one in town would help me and I even offered the RACV bloke cash and said I would supply the 10 mil spanner and help him but I am to old to get under the car.
RACV decieded to bring me back to Melbourne. Troopy on a tilt tray, caravan towed behind tilt tray and taxis and hertz car for three days for me and missus to drive back including accomodation on the way. :eek:
Today they just tow you in and will not touch the car, probably because they don't know how to fix an old car.
P.S. My mate came around at home and put a new master cylinder in in thirty minutes. Well he was drinking my stubbies.
20151016_082214.jpg

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Why didn't you start it in 2nd and drive the 1000 k's as is?
The truth. When the RACV (NSW VERSION?) Came to pick me up in the car park back of shopping center around 4.30 p.m he said I can't take you to Toyota garage yet, I have to wait until 8.00 p.m. closing of shopping center. I said ok I will drive down to garage myself because it was Friday and garage closes for weekend at 5.00 p.m..He just stood there with mouth open to the ground as I drove down without a clutch. Why would I bother driving 1000 ks when it cost me nothing for what I got. Ha!HA!

Batts88

One thing that annoys me the most with NEW vehicles is all the warning sounds/buzzers... We had a 2010 Prado and even though it was reliable as a tourer, it used to annoy me every time u had to stop and open a gate or wanted to stop and get out while leaving you're engine running, etc. I don't need a buzzer or whatever telling me that I've left the engine running. This is commonplace to all new vehicles and to me is something that may prevent me from buying new until I'm old and no longer wanting to do adventurous touring, etc...

I ended up going old school Defender as our replacement tourer and it was ok but not really good when u have 3 teenagers having to sit in the rear seat - No headrests and little room, so I bought one of the last Defenders that have better seating front and rear and slightly more legroom for the 2nd-row occupants. The driving performance is chalk and cheese between the 2 Defenders with the Old one being totally school mechanical and can handle poor quality fuel, etc whereas the newer Defender had a 2.4 Tdci engine that has been remapped and goes like the clappers should I choose to "but" the big thing is it is more sensitive to bad fuel which has caught me out in the middle of the desert as few years ago. I now have a 2nd fuel filter but I still get concerned every now and then.

It's great having the choice between modern and old school as well...
If I feel like just getting back to basics of driving/exploring & having the time to take in the sights, then the old Defender is the way to go and I love driving it.... but it is very slow compared to the Puma Defender. This one has just about all the needs I need and no beeping, etc and has heaps of power when required and this is the vehicle for the more remote touring...

Not sure what I'll do in regards to vehicles when I get to retire, but I do like the idea of converting the Defender to a pop-top Camper or buying a Troopy and doing the poptop camper thing with it as it has about 200mm extra interior length over the Defender...
All the beeping is about conditioning people to react when they hear it without having to think. So now they don't have to remember the lights are on the key is in the ignition my belts not on there is a car driving beside me there a solid white line on the road I shouldn't cross over etc etc. So for the generations to come the brain will get lazy in some areas it's evolution in the making just like most people walk around looking at their phone and don't know what's going on around them in the world how times have change a lot and going down hill fast.

I won't be around to see it but in a hundred yrs or so children will be born with a natural stoop so they look to the ground and not at the trees or sky oh what are they. Also their eyes will change from all the bright led's they are constantly looking at then plastic surgeons will start offering operations to get a pouch fitted on your body wherever you like to store your phone so it's always within reach because it's important right ha I'm rambling but probably not far from the truth.

typhoeus

All the beeping is about conditioning people to react when they hear it without having to think. So now they don't have to remember the lights are on the key is in the ignition my belts not on there is a car driving beside me there a solid white line on the road I shouldn't cross over etc etc. So for the generations to come the brain will get lazy in some areas it's evolution in the making just like most people walk around looking at their phone and don't know what's going on around them in the world how times have change a lot and going down hill fast.

I won't be around to see it but in a hundred yrs or so children will be born with a natural stoop so they look to the ground and not at the trees or sky oh what are they. Also their eyes will change from all the bright led's they are constantly looking at then plastic surgeons will start offering operations to get a pouch fitted on your body wherever you like to store your phone so it's always within reach because it's important right ha I'm rambling but probably not far from the truth.
there will be machines to take over the job of your now defunct reflexes

typhoeus

The truth. When the RACV (NSW VERSION?) Came to pick me up in the car park back of shopping center around 4.30 p.m he said I can't take you to Toyota garage yet, I have to wait until 8.00 p.m. closing of shopping center. I said ok I will drive down to garage myself because it was Friday and garage closes for weekend at 5.00 p.m..He just stood there with mouth open to the ground as I drove down without a clutch. Why would I bother driving 1000 ks when it cost me nothing for what I got. Ha!HA

My old hilux did a clutch master a couple of years ago in Hurstville, ( Sydney) but I drove it back to Camden with no operational clutch pedal, about 40 klm changing gears etc was no problem, if you matched the revs , and the 3 or 4 times I had to stop for lights , was a simple matter of knocking it into neutral to pull up, and then starting it in 2nd gear to get going. Pulling a van would make the job tricky for sure.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Me and my eldest brother had so much fun back in the sixties driving our manuals and doing clutch less gear changes. Yep, you just had to pick the right revs. Even today when driving the old Troopy I still pick the right revs when I throw the clutch in for the smoothest gear changes .

cam04

Me and my eldest brother had so much fun back in the sixties driving our manuals and doing clutch less gear changes. Yep, you just had to pick the right revs. Even today when driving the old Troopy I still pick the right revs when I throw the clutch in for the smoothest gear changes .
The good old stick it in first and turn the key trick then flat change up and down. We had a comer farm truck that didn’t have a clutch pedal as long as I can remember.

Rusty Panels

The truth. When the RACV (NSW VERSION?) Came to pick me up in the car park back of shopping center around 4.30 p.m he said I can't take you to Toyota garage yet, I have to wait until 8.00 p.m. closing of shopping center. I said ok I will drive down to garage myself because it was Friday and garage closes for weekend at 5.00 p.m..He just stood there with mouth open to the ground as I drove down without a clutch. Why would I bother driving 1000 ks when it cost me nothing for what I got. Ha!HA!
NRMA is the NSW counterpart.
It's not easy without a clutch but at least you can get yourself off the highway I guess. I once hooked up a blokes choke cable to his accelerator linkage cause he broke the accelerator cable in the middle of nowhere! It took him a bit to get used to and didn't it have much throttle travel but it got him out of trouble. :)

Now try that trick on a new car! Choke? What's a Choke?

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Well, im not the leyland brothers or Shaun from 4wdaction and I'm not going to the cape every other month, so I don't need every bell and whistle. So an older car suits me . I can fix it myself, minimal electrical crap to go wrong, it can be made as capable as i will need. And wont cost half a house deposit. So my 1998 hilux will do me. Might not be fast or pretty, but thats what the bike is for when i feel like fast. . Which is less these days than when I was younger. I can't see the point in buying the latest brand new, let someone else pay for the depreciation. . . So I think I'm on the same page as shanegtr above
Love my old '82 MQ SWB Patrol. But as my old bones get a bit more brittle, the rocking and rolling with the stiff leaf springs . . . ! Even on many of our less smooth bitumen roads, my old back gets a real work out. And the head gets plenty of near misses on the side window too!

Does take a bit of work to grease up the steering linkages every 3000km or so. (I guess modern 4x4 have fully sealed steering ball joints.) And also a bit of time to do the valve clearances about every 20 or 30 thousand. Radiator over-flow tank recently rotted out. Just plastic. Cannot find a second-hand one. They all rotted out by now lol! So will just put one in from a more modern car. Not the perfect fit, but should work.

Other than that it has been a very reliable old bomb. Has done the roughest roads in WA and SA. And taken me as far as Cooktown and Kunnunurra. (Only electronics involved is the reconditioned electronic dizzy after the old 'points' one wore out.) I did rebuild the motor myself many years ago, as it was burning a litre of oil every 300km! But now, over two hundred thousand km later the engine burns no oil and is smooth and powerful as far as a 1982 2.8litre motor can be lol. Tows the off-road camper very well. Has been a very reliable old bomb. Has done the roughest roads in WA and SA, and visited all states including a 5 week stint in Tassie. Taken me as far as Cooktown, Darwin, The Gulf and Kunnunurra. Looking forward to 'doing the Cape York' trip one day.

cam04

Love my old '82 MQ SWB Patrol. But as my old bones get a bit more brittle, the rocking and rolling with the stiff leaf springs . . . ! Even on many of our less smooth bitumen roads, my old back gets a real work out. And the head gets plenty of near misses on the side window too!

Does take a bit of work to grease up the steering linkages every 3000km or so. (I guess modern 4x4 have fully sealed steering ball joints.) And also a bit of time to do the valve clearances about every 20 or 30 thousand. Radiator over-flow tank recently rotted out. Just plastic. Cannot find a second-hand one. They all rotted out by now lol! So will just put one in from a more modern car. Not the perfect fit, but should work.

Other than that it has been a very reliable old bomb. Has done the roughest roads in WA and SA. And taken me as far as Cooktown and Kunnunurra. (Only electronics involved is the reconditioned electronic dizzy after the old 'points' one wore out.) I did rebuild the motor myself many years ago, as it was burning a litre of oil every 300km! But now, over two hundred thousand km later the engine burns no oil and is smooth and powerful as far as a 1982 2.8litre motor can be lol. Tows the off-road camper very well. Has been a very reliable old bomb. Has done the roughest roads in WA and SA, and visited all states including a 5 week stint in Tassie. Taken me as far as Cooktown, Darwin, The Gulf and Kunnunurra. Looking forward to 'doing the Cape York' trip one day.
A mate had a white one. We had some great trips in it. Did yours get the complimentary peeling paint from factory or where you lucky?