New vs Old vehicles - your choice and why?

hiluxdriver

Depends on how long you keep them and what you do with them.
I agree. If you're a rock hopping hero with masculinity issues you won't be punting a brand new wrangler up the nearest hill - unless you have more dollars than sense. But you have masculinity issues so may be you will.
If your touring with some off road stuff here and there maybe new is ok. My budget wouldn't stretch to brand new but i got what i think is a mix between old and new. A 79 is an old design with some new tech thrown in. With only a couple of beepers to worry about.

discomatt

How old is the D1 Matt? :cool:
Thats now 24, but over the last 200,000 km of touring and hard / technical 4wding I have rebuilt and replaced the whole car except the body, which is worse than just ware and tear and the trans which in those old buses is as tough as they come
edit : and to put that into context of this thread its still a piece of crap compared to the D4
but a much loved piece of crap:)

slivertoy

i'm much the same as @discomatt , i have a 26 year old Cruiser, and have replaced nearly everything except the body too, everything I have modified on it, is either a massive upgrade or heavy duty off road gear, it's fantastic off road, hard and technical 4wding, not a bad tourer, sits great on road and around the bendy bits and it's not slow either,
I had loan of a new 200 series Sahara, 3"lift, 315 tyres and suspension upgrade, and I loved it, powerful, comfort, some would say style and grace too,
We has it for about 6 weeks and i was sad to see it go, but, old/v/new debate?
Give me the 200 for long distance touring, tow anything, go anywhere and very capable off road, (at a expense though)
and I'll take my 80 series for the rough stuff, because i couldn't see myself pinstriping, messing up a 120K+ 4wd. :(

D

Deleted member 69390

And it is not even one of the last Defenders.

littleGem

I own a rather highly modified GU, and a more or less stock basic tourer Dmax, my preferance at first was the Dmax it was newer, more power, cold ac, better fuel economy etc, however recently the rose coloured glasses have come off as its due for an update, and the build quality just isnt there anymore, the interior on the GU is far from pretty, however the plastic on new dashs just seam cheap, the cabs are noisey, they don't seam to have the leg room that my single cab GU does and the dmax is a dual cab, the seats are better in the GU, all round its just comfier on longer drives, I love the dmax motor and the reliability that comes with it, however thats where it stops.
Offroad, they both do the job well, decent tyres make the world of difference and I have put the dmax places it really shouldn't have been so either or there.
Looked into other dual cabs and they seem to be all the same pretty much, they don't seem to be much of an upgrade drive wise over a older 4x4 and can only see that going down hill when you put muddies and exhaust on the newer 4x4, its a bit of an eye opener.

When we lived in England, we bought our very first car secondhand (1997 Vauxhall Corsa). But then after moving here and before we had my son we bought our car (2009 Mitsubishi Lancer) new, but now we're parents priorities have changed, so we bought our second car (2000 Toyota Prado) secondhand. That has worked out well, but (expectedly) I have had to do some work to it.

I think if we had to replace either we'd just go secondhand again. Getting and maintaining the Prado has been a great educational thing for me really especially as it's not our family's primary means of transport.

megamung

I have found over the years that if I buy a car new I tend to keep it longer 8-10 years. 2nd hand I am usually rid of in 5 or less. I don't know the reason I have had equal numbers of both over the years. I bought my ute in 2012 new, it was relatively cheap 37k I then spent another 15 prepping for a trip to the cape in 2014 and other than maintenance has not cost me anything since. that said I want something a bit more comfy and easier to drive for my next vehicle and I want it to last until I retire ( 10-12 years ) so I am torn do I spend 70k plus before mods or risk it and only spend around 45 on a good 2nd hander but not make it without having to upgrade again.

I've got both and still use both depending on the situation. Brand new Amarok is my daily driver and carries the dirt bikes for weekend fun. 80 series gets a run for touring. Being in WA our long trips are usually remote, Kimberley, Pilbara, East of Esperance etc and I feel more secure with the 80 being a basic, mechanical injection vehicle that is set up as a tough tourer. No limpmode or fault codes to worry about. The Amarok uses half the fuel of the 80 around town but towing the camper didn't make much of a difference to the 80's consumption so it evens out a bit more on long trips.

SeaJay

I also have both, a 2018 Fx4 Ranger, and a '97 80 series. The Ranger with all the new tech is nice, but just cant bring myself to sell the 80

greysrigging

In my experience, typically revolves around how much money you have, whether you are an enthusiast, are mechanically minded, or just a miserable tight a*se.... lol
I keep my vehicles around 10-11 years, by then I probably have saved up for a new one.
My Hilux is 10 in 2 weeks time, only 120k, so might keep it a while yet. Taken 10 years and 30k probably to get it how I want it so its a keeper for now.....

G_ute

And whether you can write off your 'leisure' vehicle for 'business use' - accessories and all.
Just gotta ask.

mikehzz

New cars these days don't have many more features than cars from 10 years ago, maybe a more troublesome DPF if you call that a feature? I bought new in 2008 because the car had some standard features I was looking for. I bought second hand last year because the car was low kms but 4 years old, same features as a current new car but half the price. I actually don't want things like lane departure warning and autonomous braking, those features which would stop me from buying a car. I'm really sick of safety features that activate at the wrong time and put you in danger, I've had that happen about 3 times in the past couple of years, stability control and auto engine on\off being the main culprits.

CaptainBanana

New cars these days don't have many more features than cars from 10 years ago, maybe a more troublesome DPF if you call that a feature? I bought new in 2008 because the car had some standard features I was looking for. I bought second hand last year because the car was low kms but 4 years old, same features as a current new car but half the price. I actually don't want things like lane departure warning and autonomous braking, those features which would stop me from buying a car. I'm really sick of safety features that activate at the wrong time and put you in danger, I've had that happen about 3 times in the past couple of years, stability control and auto engine on\off being the main culprits.

I've had engine stop start on a few cars now including my current van and immediately turn it off upon starting the car but that's mostly because I use automatic climate control 24hrs a day 7 days a week all year round an absolutely hate when it shuts down and starts blowing warm humid air.

Unlike most people I've not had the big headaches with stability control,
I've had it engage on gravel roads where the car started to drift a little and felt it very quickly and neatly pull it back in line without me putting any corrective steering effort in and thought it was fantastic to see it operate.

I've also had a peanut step off the footpath in front of my car at 60 k's an hour at which point I've had to swerve like a maniac and had it engage and stop the car from doing anything freaky which was also quiet reassuring.

I haven't had the overaggressive reduction of throttle people speak about but I also haven't been over aggressive with my throttle application in the past decade nor do I frequently pull into traffic at Full Throttle and hard lock so maybe it's more my driving style than anything wrong with the systems.

mikehzz

A bit of unexpected wheel slip can cut the power. I've only experienced it in a Pajero, several times now. I drive 3 other cars with stability control and never had a problem with them.

discomatt

I have purposely tested the stability control and ABS in the D4 and have found it to be nothing short of astounding on how well it all works to the point where you almost get a false sense of security and think the car is almost un crashable , if thats even a thing

mikehzz

Yeah, my little Landy was perfect in that department. The stabilty control only ever cut in if I was getting aggressive on sand and had forgotten to turn it off. The Pajero is very touchy by comparison but only in 2 wheel drive.

CaptainBanana

I really tried very hard in the Triton with full right lock in wet weather and only once I got halfway through the corner and it came on boost and the car really leaned did it pull throttle back so it's might be something that the Pajero is worse at than the rest of the range..... But the Triton motor is also an absolute piece of crap off Boost so it would be a lucky to spin the skin off a custard let break traction.

The last time I remember driving a car with very aggressive throttle reduction was my VX Clubsport two decades ago.

iuraf

I would rather buy a used car rather than e new one. I've bought new cars and second-hand ones and I couldn't notice a big difference. Of course, with a new car, you have a warranty and many benefits, but it comes with a great price. I've bought a new jeep and I must say that it was a good investment. I wouldn't want to risk my life in a used-up jeep where things could go very wrong. I would rather buy a new one when it comes to 4x4 vehicles.

Last edited: