New V6 Hilux

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
That looks quite impressive, taking on the Amarok in engine size 3.0L vs 3.3L hopefully without the 4wding shortfalls reported with the VW

Interesting it looks like they will be sharing the powerplant with the 300 Cruiser which could make my next move a little more complicated in the thought process.

Food for thought

discomatt

The big question is will it be some sort of sports pack only which will reduce its off road performance.
If its the same auto as the Ranger I would pass if wanting to tow anything big on road or anything small off road.
As far as the hand brake, Toyota hasn't been able to develop one that works properly yet so I would imagine this will be the same given their lack of abillity to move away from anything they already know ( with a new engine and auto it must be blowing their minds so a hand brake may be included)

Albynsw

I thought the same Matt, it may be a “ street performance “ model only but hopefully not.
My bugbear with that whole medium duty ute category is underpowered motors. I hook the trailer on a Hilux and you know it is there, put it on my cruiser and it is business as usual.
Given the way the majority of dual cab ute owners use their vehicles they could all do with a few more berries

Albynsw

I sometimes still regrete not going down the 79 build road but when I was looking at it the $$$ were eye watering to do what I wanted

The 70 is a funny thing, you know all it’s shortcomings and it’s ini poor value for money but there is something abthem, I think it is the old school vibe and raw driving experience that is the attraction
I have ordered a new one which I don’t think will arrive until September/ October and have been pricing up all the extras I plan on fitting and it gets out of hand pretty quickly :eek:
We get a lot of pleasure out of touring so justify the cost as spending “holiday money” :) When you amortise that over the vehicle ownership it is not too bad.

boobook

Cars guide speculated a new engine size and configuration for the 300 every week, then patted thems selves on the back when they repeated their speculation ( things like we predicted this months ago ) and ignoring their 5 - 6 predictions that were blatantly wrong.

Now that some facts are coming out about the 300, they have to move their speculation to something else. It's the same writer, same stories, but now Hilux. Complete clickbait. He's a useless reporter that is probably a hero inside the magazine on the basis of clicks. No morals or ethical journalism standards.

The big question is will it be some sort of sports pack only which will reduce its off road performance.
If its the same auto as the Ranger I would pass if wanting to tow anything big on road or anything small off road.
As far as the hand brake, Toyota hasn't been able to develop one that works properly yet so I would imagine this will be the same given their lack of abillity to move away from anything they already know ( with a new engine and auto it must be blowing their minds so a hand brake may be included)

The Japanese mags are saying the GR version of the 300 will be the most expensive but packing off-road features ahead of luxury. Things like suspension changes and diff locks all around.

If this is true, it's consistent with the GR treatment of other Toyota vehicles. A focus on racing or rallying or 4wding. Gees they put out a GR Yaris and GR Yarris Rallye with 200kw and 370 Nm, bigger brakes and firm suspension. All out of a 3 cyl motor and a car weighing only 1300kg. It flies. Out of a bloody Yaris FFS.

Hopefully a GR treatment on a Hilux would be meaningful for off road.

As to the Land Cruiser handbrake. You are right Matt. It is THE worst thing about the car. How Toyota can go on without fixing that is amazing. My kid's 86 has a fantastic handbrake. WTF? The handbrake definitely needs revolution not evolution which hasn't helped in 30 years.

Last edited:

discomatt

As to the Land Cruiser handbrake. You are right Matt. It is THE worst thing about the car. How Toyota can go on without fixing that is amazing. My kid's 86 has a fantastic handbrake. WTF? The handbrake definitely needs revolution not evolution which hasn't helped in 30 years.
On the up side it will never jam on leaving the uneducated stuck like another unmentionable 4wds, or they might have some very clever features like pulling on a bit stronger when in low range or acting as an emergency brake system when pulled on and held which activated the whole braking system at any speed, tried and tested it at several different speeds and on dirt roads which was a bit mind blowing at 80km/h, stopped on a dime and dead straight on all surfaces