New uhf time... Antenna suggestion appreciated.

CaptainBanana

@CaptainBanana in general the difference between the 330 and 370 is $30. So it becomes a no brainer to choose the 370 (for me). It has better components, better housing and construction (steel instead of plastic), 1 year extra warranty, extra speaker to fill the sound and act as a back up, and a magnetic mic mount which in itself is $30 anyway, so it's a no brainer for how long the radio is going to last.

Space is at a bit of a premium in my car so the smaller body is actually a positive not a negative. Cost is irrelevant.

mac_man_luke

I have been very happy with my Icom IC440N (and IC450 in dads Hilux), much cheaper than the GME.

Antenna wise i would never go bull bar mounted again, i have been running an RFI CD34 on my headboard and its way out performed bull bar mount and dont have to look at damn antennas all day when driving (or taking pics out the front window)

Jaye

I have been very happy with my Icom IC440N (and IC450 in dads Hilux), much cheaper than the GME.

Antenna wise i would never go bull bar mounted again, i have been running an RFI CD34 on my headboard and its way out performed bull bar mount and dont have to look at damn antennas all day when driving (or taking pics out the front window)
Being a rubber whip, does it handle the car park roof bash ok?

ElectricBug

@Jaye the CD34 antenna is great. It is quite tough and yet flexible. If it does break, well it's only $44. Plus you can easily take it off if you do need to, just unscrews. Not hard. Better to have to spend 10 seconds undoing an antenna than have second rate transmission all the time. That's me anyway.

axemann

I have a GME 3440TX, I've had for over 10 years and it's just started to become troublesome.

I'm wondering whether to have GME take a look at it, or just upgrade. Realistically all I use the UHF for is car to car communication and listening on the highway or in the bush.

What features do the newer radios have that influence a purchasing decision, apart from just being new?

ElectricBug

Hello Axemann, with the new ones being 80 channel most people want to get away from the old hobbists on the 40channel and so most new people use channels above 40. So for you to talk to them, you can't on your TX3440. The new ones, especially the GME XRS370, you don't need to worry about changing antenna or even power cord as they are the same. The XRS will perform better, goes further, last longer, more robust, louder, clearer voice, smaller and neater in newer cars as the mic is the only thing you need to see. Can use it to see where your other XRS friends are out on a trip, to better coordinate and extra safety, plus it is future proof as all updates are free and no need to buy another radio when something new comes out, easier to see screen under the sun and 6 years warranty.

Triton14

I have a GME 3440TX, I've had for over 10 years and it's just started to become troublesome.

I'm wondering whether to have GME take a look at it, or just upgrade. Realistically all I use the UHF for is car to car communication and listening on the highway or in the bush.

What features do the newer radios have that influence a purchasing decision, apart from just being new?
What do you call troublesome?

Also see below.

Hello Axemann, with the new ones being 80 channel most people want to get away from the old hobbists on the 40channel and so most new people use channels above 40. So for you to talk to them, you can't on your TX3440. The new ones, especially the GME XRS370, you don't need to worry about changing antenna or even power cord as they are the same. The XRS will perform better, goes further, last longer, more robust, louder, clearer voice, smaller and neater in newer cars as the mic is the only thing you need to see. Can use it to see where your other XRS friends are out on a trip, to better coordinate and extra safety, plus it is future proof as all updates are free and no need to buy another radio when something new comes out, easier to see screen under the sun and 6 years warranty.

@ElectricBug, I have a TX3420 in my Triton(got it for free) still works great BUT I found out when all the commotion was going on about banning 40CH radio's that it is upgradeable to 80CH & not only that GME did it for me for free!

As far as I am aware the 3440 is also upgradeable as well!!
Not sure about being free for that model though?

@axemann I would look into it!

Im not sure what is going on as I haven't remained current on the situation but I know that ACMA was going to shut down the 40CH bandwith at some point!

Still says its a free upgrade on here down the bottom, but I would check with GME!!

Last edited:

ElectricBug

that is correct, it is up-gradable as long as the serial number falls within those mentioned. Otherwise no, because it's a hardware thing.

Spooner

My GME TX3550S is 3 or 4 years old now.
its been great , only have a small GME elevated feed antenna , Cant remember what model it was , about $120 from memory.
Works great all round.
In the high country sometimes I can pick up drivers on tracks 15 klm's away.