New uhf time... Antenna suggestion appreciated.

CaptainBanana

Hey guys,

I currently use a top spec gme hand-held for convoy conversations but find it's too limited when used inside the car. I'm looking at now moving to a g.m.e. in car UHF probably with a remote head which is fine but the antenna choice is overwhelming.

I'm going to roof mount it, the car is not daily driven and doesn't go underground very often so the height is not much of a consideration although I'm probably going put it on a drop brackets anyway.

I think the practical choice here is a 3db antenna or thereabouts but I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a specific model or brand they have had success or reliability with.

Jaye

ICOM also do one with a remote head like the GME, I also found them a bit cheaper. RFI do a very good antenna as do GME, but personally I would go with the RFI. I was told by radio gurus that at the end of the day it doesnt really matter what radio you buy as they are much the same, but buy a good quality antenna as thats where the difference is or where they quality needs to be.

CaptainBanana

I thought one of the guys on here actually said that the GME was more sensitive than the Uniden for example. the antenna brand is less a concern for me

dno67

I thought one of the guys on here actually said that the GME was more sensitive than the Uniden for example. the antenna brand is less a concern for me
GME scan rate is faster and there made in aust. Legally they can all have the same output, l consider things like front mount speaker, rotary squalch knob for adjustment and simplicity to use, far more Important than scan speed. Antenna's RFI and GME would be my choice.

CaptainBanana

I agree on the squelch knob in actual fact I would prefer a rotary channel knob but being a remote head it's not going to happen, I had a Uniden back in the mid 2000s and it was a fairly decent unit back then I'm not sure if much has changed.

Wakdaz

I use the GME TX3100VP, it’s cheap and does the job, it has a 6.5 dbi antenna on an elevated feed base.
For the last 5 months I’ve had it I haven’t had any issues, however a squelch rotary knob would be nicer than buttons.

I bought it on special for $270 but they go for $300 generally so there pretty cheap.

Attachments

• 5E8F2457-3F43-4B0E-AA1F-5368BF3F5F9B.jpeg
    5E8F2457-3F43-4B0E-AA1F-5368BF3F5F9B.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 114

Swaggie

I've been an RFI fan for many years, both antennas have copped a flogging out in the bush over many years, no delamination etc
Lost one and found it wedged between the bullbar and front of vehicle

Even used them on one of my Icom Handhelds for a couple of years no problems.

As far as units go Icoms are complex to use if you like that, GME are just easier and Aussie made and stand by there products.

CaptainBanana

I use the GME TX3100VP, it’s cheap and does the job, it has a 6.5 dbi antenna on an elevated feed base.
For the last 5 months I’ve had it I haven’t had any issues, however a squelch rotary knob would be nicer than buttons.

I bought it on special for $270 but they go for $300 generally so there pretty cheap.

I absolutely don't want the speaker on the unit and would much rather it in the mic, I'm not fussed about features too much otherwise so that base model would have worked
I've been an RFI fan for many years, both antennas have copped a flogging out in the bush over many years, no delamination etc
Lost one and found it wedged between the bullbar and front of vehicle

Even used them on one of my Icom Handhelds for a couple of years no problems.

As far as units go Icoms are complex to use if you like that, GME are just easier and Aussie made and stand by there products.

I was already leaning to GME, I'm just not sure if I need to worry about included antennas in the bundles? They're so cheap do I just use them and if/when they break I get another?

Albynsw

If they have a model with the features you want I would favour the GME over the others. An Aussie company that you can ring and talk to a technician yourself if you have an issue.
I have not had an issue with my units but a mate had a problem with his remote head mic well out of warranty and they replaced the mic no charge, can’t complain about that.
I chose a GME antenna mainly because it is a brand sold Australia wide in outback towns so would be easier to get a compatible replacement when on the road.
I have read that RFI make a bit better antenna though

CaptainBanana

If they have a model with the features you want I would favour the GME over the others. An Aussie company that you can ring and talk to a technician yourself if you have an issue.
I have not had an issue with my units but a mate had a problem with his remote head mic well out of warranty and they replaced the mic no charge, can’t complain about that.
I chose a GME antenna mainly because it is a brand sold Australia wide in outback towns so would be easier to get a compatible replacement when on the road.
I have read that RFI make a bit better antenna though

I'm so over looking at these things I'm tempted to just get the 370xrs and call it done. I'm less fussed about the antenna as it's cheap and easy to swap.

darb

I have a uniden UHF antenna that comes with a 3dbi for around town and fitting in car ports, and a 6.6dbi for longer trips

I stopped using whips because i had too many explode from corrugations and a crap bullbar vibration.

Not to be confused wiht the thinner Telstra Antenna visible in pics

3dbi
March-2019-FireDrum--1010.jpg

6.6dbi
GreenHead-Jan-2018--1004.jpg

Unit wise I've got an RM770 Uniden ... all in one, which is the only way to go (there's a second speaker in the brain that is up under the dash) .
I like having the speaker right up high, and controls / readouts being visible without having to look down much or listen for a speaker down low.
Dwello-March-2019--1020.jpg

RM770.jpg

I didn't like the GME's because to turn on the CTCSS or DCS required some ridiculous process to dial in, and was "per unit" with no ability to set a code on the fly per channel. That's probbaly fixed these days though.

I do find there's some issues between GME and Uniden when using CTCSS coding ... i find my uniden will squelch lock the GME tranmission out, despite the coding being set ... unsure if thats a GME or uniden issue, or a combo of the two.

I think the ICOM stuff is probably the better of all. GME and uniden are par for the course rivals.

Last edited:

RIGPIG

I'm running the XRS Connect UHF, great unit. The new up date means you can wire direct to constant power and it will auto of after a period of time. Also running uniden radon? Fiberlass antenna.

boobook

Put a SO 239 socket on the roof mount you are talking about. Especially if you have a knockdown bracket.

That way you can choose from 3db, all the way up to 9 db with a variety of makes and models. Get a PL 259 antenna. There are lots. If it breaks, just unscrew it.

I then use a 3db rubber ducky for day to day and folded down in the city. Or even as a backup kept in the glovebox.

Here is an example

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SO239-A...m4b6a0176d4:g:v~4AAOSwRI1cz9z0&frcectupt=true

I have a uniden UHF antenna that comes with a 3dbi for around town and fitting in car ports, and a 6.6dbi for longer trips

I stopped using whips because i had too many explode from corrugations and a crap bullbar vibration.

Not to be confused wiht the thinner Telstra Antenna visible in pics

3dbi
View attachment 64567

6.6dbi

If that was mine, I'd move the 2 antennas further apart. Best practice would be no closer than 35cm, and preferably further. Especially since mobile phones are always transmitting intermittently at about 0.5W. You might find you have a high SWR and poor distant reception like that.

Last edited:

CaptainBanana

I'm actually getting the 330 it looks like it doesn't seem to do anything different to the 370 except to being in a smaller plastic body which doesn't worry me in the slightest, I plan to run a 3db on the roof daily.

ElectricBug

@CaptainBanana in general the difference between the 330 and 370 is $30. So it becomes a no brainer to choose the 370 (for me). It has better components, better housing and construction (steel instead of plastic), 1 year extra warranty, extra speaker to fill the sound and act as a back up, and a magnetic mic mount which in itself is $30 anyway, so it's a no brainer for how long the radio is going to last.

boobook

Hey ElectricBug. About 4 months ago I asked GME if they were bringing out a handheld equivalent of the XRS. The guy said yes, about the end of the year.

Have you heard anything?