new tyre wobble! WHY?????

rockydog

Hey everyone,
Hope someone can help me here.
I have just put new tyres on my hilux and it now wobbles like hell over 80kmh.
They were balanced and aligned when fitted and today i had a second place balance and align them again but it still wobbles over 80kmh.
What i think it might be is both these places may have balanced and aligned them to factory hilux specs not knowing that it has a two inch lift to suit the 31inch tyres i used to have on it, the tyres i have on it now are 30inch. Would i be right to think this or could it be something else?
All bushes and everything ''seem'' fine and i have OME nitro sport shocks which are fairly new still and unfortunately havent seen much dirt.
Any help will be great,
Thanks in advance
Matt

Vegetoast

My thoughts are, the tyre shops recycle there weights which become weaker each time there used and fling off when you drive out the drive way, mayby unluckily you coped it twice. insist on new weights and if you have to have a lot of weights added get them to get you some truck weights instead so you dont have so many.

Also a loose panhard bush can give you a wobble too.

Quozie

sounds like it could also be the infamous "death wobble". if so I fixed mine by buying SuperPro Bushes for the whole front end of my Patrol. Check all suspension rubbers and if needed, replace with quality, I replaced mine every 6 months until I got SuperPro, Been in the truck now for nearly 2 years and haven't had the wobbles since.

jack48

sounds like it could also be the infamous "death wobble". if so I fixed mine by buying SuperPro Bushes for the whole front end of my Patrol. Check all suspension rubbers and if needed, replace with quality, I replaced mine every 6 months until I got SuperPro, Been in the truck now for nearly 2 years and haven't had the wobbles since.

The death wobble was a problem with the early 90s Patrols, they had wheels with untrue bore holes, the only way was an on car balance or using fingers type adapter on the balancer, Nissan fitted new wheels in about 95ish and problem solved.

frosty

The death wobble was a problem with the early 90s Patrols, they had wheels with untrue bore holes, the only way was an on car balance or using fingers type adapter on the balancer, Nissan fitted new wheels in about 95ish and problem solved.

Your gunna learn the hard way are'nt ya!!!!:eek:

Nisan did'nt fix a thing!!:confused:

If it's a new problam, I'de be knockin the tyres off the rim, cleaning them and startin again! Then Panhard bushes.

jack48

They changed wheel supplier, so they said and the centre bores were truer, Nissan denied they had a problem as they do not do recalls often. Mavericks had the same problem, naturally .

rockydog

wow

Wow, awesome response here!!!!
Bearings should be fine, had its 100,000km service less than 5000km ago.
Type of tyres i had on there were 31x10.5x15 road venture kumhos, these were rubbing the gaurds abit which was annoying me so i put on 30x9.5x15 bridgestone desert dualers which match my camper trailer. Thought was to have 2 spares as we are heading around auzzie next year, hopefully with our teeth as the wobbleing is pretty bad!!!!
Cheers
Matt

jack48

Matt, go back to the dealer where you purchased the tyres and insist that they fix the problem as the tyres may be out of round or the guy doing the job didn't do a respin on the wheels after he put the weights on, they are only tyre fitters and not many take enough care to do the job correctly

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
I had a problem with what they call 'run out' a few years ago. Lots of vibrations coming back through the steering wheel. Had the front two tyres re-balanced a couple of times, at different work shops, but still the problem.

But I went back to the first guy and asked for other possible causes. Then he had a look at the edge of the tread as he spun the tyre on the balancing machine. It was moving in and out! Somehow the tread had been moulded on to the tyre crooked!

I reckon you can could do a simple check yourself if you just jacked up your front wheels, one at a time, and spun the wheel. Get a pointer device, like the corner of a small block of wood sitting next to the edge of the tread. Watch the gap between pointer and tread to see that it does not vary as the wheel is turned.

flexytj

Hey everyone,
Hope someone can help me here.
I have just put new tyres on my hilux and it now wobbles like hell over 80kmh.
They were balanced and aligned when fitted and today i had a second place balance and align them again but it still wobbles over 80kmh.
What i think it might be is both these places may have balanced and aligned them to factory hilux specs not knowing that it has a two inch lift to suit the 31inch tyres i used to have on it, the tyres i have on it now are 30inch. Would i be right to think this or could it be something else?
All bushes and everything ''seem'' fine and i have OME nitro sport shocks which are fairly new still and unfortunately havent seen much dirt.
Any help will be great,
Thanks in advance
Matt

if nothing else is wrong with the tyres/runout/balance for front end one of your new tyres may have force variation issues with one or more of the tyres . you cannot see this with your eyes and will need to roadforce balance them to diagnose this or inflate them all to 65 psi and go for a drive and if the vibe is gone then you have force variation in one of the tyres you will need to let them down one by one to find which one it is .

force variation is essentially a inconsistency in the tyre that pulls outward with
centrifugal force as the wheel rotates hence causing a vibration .

Radial Force Variation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quozie

You would have thought then that my 99 GU was safe from it, panhard bushes and replaced with quality stopped the steering from being ripped outta my hands at 90ks.

Yota

Tire Wobble

We had an issue with one of the new Isuzu trucks at work, everything was fine until the vehicle got to about 103km per hour then the violent shaking started and got so bad that the only safest option was to head to the shoulder and pull over. Load on the vehicle wouldn't have ammounted to more than 400kg so definitely not overloaded.
After a few minutes things would return to normal but once up over 100km per hour the shaking would start again.
The tyre suppliers checked everything, allignment, balance and tyre pressures and found nothing wrong.
My own feeling is that the tyres were possibly going above their heat range and turning to jelly but once cool would return to original shape.