New to Australia, from Mexico.

chabre

Hey all,

I am from Mexico City, photographer and instructor-driver for many car brands, we do press launches, sale force training, offroad and sport driving schools and many more.

If everything goes as planned and if Covid permits it, next year will be traveling to Australia for a first trip for overlanding for about 2 months with two new 79 series.
And I have a LOT of questions for this project. From basic things of Australia to where to build the Land Cruisers, routing, etc. I will be posting my questions through out the forum and hopefully you can help me.

Gidgee

Well good luck with the covid thing, my O/S trip is not looking good next year at this time, but fingers crossed for both of us.

You travelling for a holiday or work?

CTL

Welcome. Look forward to your discussions.
Iconic overlanding destinations in Australia include the Simpson Desert (which can include Uluru) and has several crossing options, Cape York, Fraser Island, the Kimberleys, Flinders Ranges and the Victorian high country. One of the world’s remotest tracks is the Canning Stock Route but that will soak up 3 weeks of your visit. Happy planning.

chabre

Welcome. Look forward to your discussions.
Iconic overlanding destinations in Australia include the Simpson Desert (which can include Uluru) and has several crossing options, Cape York, Fraser Island, the Kimberleys, Flinders Ranges and the Victorian high country. One of the world’s remotest tracks is the Canning Stock Route but that will soak up 3 weeks of your visit. Happy planning.

Thanks.

At this moment the ones I am researching are Cape York, Simpson Desert and also looking at Canning Stock, but as you say, we might not have enough time to do it.

Gidgee

At this moment the ones I am researching are Cape York, Simpson Desert and also looking at Canning Stock, but as you say, we might not have enough time to do it.
You're going into the deep end with those. Given you've not driven in Australia, perhaps look at some of the less remote driving which is just as spectacular (or more so) but far less risk and overheads in terms of self sufficiency and gear required.

Also, as Jaye said, there is only a small time window to do those due to weather. Roughly, you probably don't want to be more than 500km inland between Oct and March, though that varies across this very large country, and the north above latitude 17S is often extremely wet Dec-Feb and hot. I do understand Mexico is extremely hot too.

chabre

You're going into the deep end with those. Given you've not driven in Australia, perhaps look at some of the less remote driving which is just as spectacular (or more so) but far less risk and overheads in terms of self sufficiency and gear required.

Also, as Jaye said, there is only a small time window to do those due to weather. Roughly, you probably don't want to be more than 500km inland between Oct and March, though that varies across this very large country, and the north above latitude 17S is often extremely wet Dec-Feb and hot. I do understand Mexico is extremely hot too.

We are aiming to start in april if the Covid allow us.

Yes, some parts in Mexico are hot and humid.

phs

definitely agree, it can very unforgiving in remote Australia

but if he has the money take a sat phone and a credit card....

chabre

Yes, we will have sat phone and a epirb like messenger. But for sure we dont want to use them.

And yes, we know the route we are planning is unforgiving and not for beginners.

phs

PLBs are great but should only be a last resort,

Do your research specifically on the remote areas you want to travel so you can save the numbers of the local recovery company.

2luxes

There are some excellent videos on those three and many more that are available from a Melbourne company named Lifestyle Video Productions. They consist of a small group in various makes of 4wds driving through deserts and mountain areas like the Victorian High Country. Some of the cars are modified while others look standard.

They contain a lot of Australian history including the illfated 1860 Burke and Wills expedition, the atomic bomb tests at Emu an Marilinga in the 1950s plus three hours of the network of desert roads built for the them and the Womera rocket range by the legendary Len Beadell.

They do not contain any advertising or technical information.

I can't give you the link to them because I have not yet worked out how to do it it on my new phone. Start by entering Lifestyle Video Productions then Menu then Products then scroll down past two photos to the highlighted words "These and many other DVDs are" . Click on them then "Australia (19)"

chabre

There are some excellent videos on those three and many more that are available from a Melbourne company named Lifestyle Video Productions. They consist of a small group in various makes of 4wds driving through deserts and mountain areas like the Victorian High Country. Some of the cars are modified while others look standard.

They contain a lot of Australian history including the illfated 1860 Burke and Wills expedition, the atomic bomb tests at Emu an Marilinga in the 1950s plus three hours of the network of desert roads built for the them and the Womera rocket range by the legendary Len Beadell.

They do not contain any advertising or technical information.

I can't give you the link to them because I have not yet worked out how to do it it on my new phone. Start by entering Lifestyle Video Productions then Menu then Products then scroll down past two photos to the highlighted words "These and many other DVDs are" . Click on them then "Australia (19)"

Great! Thanks, I will definitely check them out. I have watched a lot of youtube videos, but never is enough.

mikehzz

Probably July and August would be better in the desert than April due to the flies, they'll drive you insane. They're usually worse in autumn because there's been no frost to bulk kill them off. Winter in Australia is probably a lot like Mexico.

ChunkyDunc

Hi Chabre, have a check with Aus Immigration's because if they get a whiff that you will be or maybe doing any work and you only have a tourist visa they won't let you in. They are very strict. I have all the Lifestyle Video Productions DVD's and they are excellent. Canning Stock Route has its own Facebook Page and as others have said there is a stack of good info on YouTube and other forums. Enjoy your research & we all hope COVID disappears as fast as it came so that we can all get back to normal. (Whatever that will be in the future)

Neil Watts

Hi Chabre, as others have said the outback can be very unforgiving and fickle. Whatever routes you decide on you will need to study them in detail and then study them some more, rain can close tracks and cut you off for days.

I did the Canning Stock Route in June 2018 and we were forced to take a detour due to flooding, only a small detour of 500km's. I have unfinished business with the Canning and was planning to do it again this year, might see you there next year...... all the best and look forward to seeing some pictures.

chabre

Hi Chabre, have a check with Aus Immigration's because if they get a whiff that you will be or maybe doing any work and you only have a tourist visa they won't let you in. They are very strict. I have all the Lifestyle Video Productions DVD's and they are excellent. Canning Stock Route has its own Facebook Page and as others have said there is a stack of good info on YouTube and other forums. Enjoy your research & we all hope COVID disappears as fast as it came so that we can all get back to normal. (Whatever that will be in the future)

I really enjoy the planning and research of the trips. I also hope that the covid ends fast, but we have in mind that the trip may be delayed at least a year.

Yes, we have in mind what you say, the first trip is going to be pure holiday and only if we see it as a possibility to go again with clients in the future, we move to the next phase. Thanks for the heads up.