New rules and regulations in VIC

Gunna

As of the 9 of November there as some important road rule changes in Vic.
The main rule that would concern most of us would be visual display units including GPS

Check out the link for more info -:

"New rules, safer roads"

GippsSurfer

Ive got to squeeze in an extra car seat for my 6 year old for about 3 weeks.... ARRGGHHH!!!! I doubt that I will be able to get in 3 car seats in the back of the Surf... might have to leave the missus at home...

knot_gillty

Ive got to squeeze in an extra car seat for my 6 year old for about 3 weeks.... ARRGGHHH!!!! I doubt that I will be able to get in 3 car seats in the back of the Surf... might have to leave the missus at home...

A little "booster seat" will fit Rob. Thats what Kirra uses.

Sambartom

On ABC radio today a cop was talking about this and the one that got me was,When parking in a car park say it had 2 hours on it and then you would come out and move it up the road a bit to a diff car park for 2 hours..NOW you can not do that,You must leave the street you are parked in and then come back..In the cops words he said"you can drive around the block then come back to the street that you were parked in and same car spot if its still open"..WHAT THE..Thats real good for the envro...Talk about silly...

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
The GPS in the phone is a fiddly and needs to be done when stopped or by someone not the drive. I agree will Split pin being common sense

croozza

In QLD there is another rule for GPS systems, and that is the portable type must not block the drivers view of any part of the road, so basically that means it must be attached to the bottom of the windscreen, however the cops are so lazy up here that they don't even care about that rule, unless you are an absolute cock towards them, them I'm sure they will nail you, The cops in VIC are a breed unto themselves, it is all about revenue, and making quota!.

Gunna

The GPS in the phone is a fiddly and needs to be done when stopped or by someone not the drive. I agree will Split pin being common sense
It's not the use of phone gps that I'm refering too, I agree it is stupid to attempt to use the phone while mobile
What I was refering too was the position of GPS units and how they are mounted in the vehicle this is whats quoted on their web site

A driver can use a driver’s aid such as a navigation device but it must be an integrated part of the vehicle design, or secured in a commercially designed holder, which is fixed to the vehicle.
To add to this is it has been stated that a GPS can no longer be mounted in the centre of the screen but must be mounted to the bottom right hand side corner

croozza

It's not the use of phone gps that I'm refering too, I agree it is stupid to attempt to use the phone while mobile
What I was refering too was the position of GPS units and how they are mounted in the vehicle this is whats quoted on their web site

A driver can use a driver’s aid such as a navigation device but it must be an integrated part of the vehicle design, or secured in a commercially designed holder, which is fixed to the vehicle.
To add to this is it has been stated that a GPS can no longer be mounted in the centre of the screen but must be mounted to the bottom right hand side corner

which is stupid as it puts the power cord across the driver, I like to use mine all the time so you have to keep the battery charged up, I know you can put the power cord around the instrument binnicle, but on some vehicles that is not possible, there needs to be a clause there that states "if possible" otherwise it needs to be centre bottom of the screen.

GippsSurfer

A little "booster seat" will fit Rob. Thats what Kirra uses.

Dont think it will fit in between the car seat for Sophie and the booster for Will.. besides its only gonna be for 23 days for us..... ridiculous...

which is stupid as it puts the power cord across the driver, I like to use mine all the time so you have to keep the battery charged up, I know you can put the power cord around the instrument binnicle, but on some vehicles that is not possible, there needs to be a clause there that states "if possible" otherwise it needs to be centre bottom of the screen.

"if possible" opens up too many options...

centaur

I use mine all the time as a speedometer. I have mine in the centre of the windscreen right at the bottom. If they whinge about that, my instrument binnacle obstructs more than this does.....:rolleyes::rolleyes:;):D

croozza

so the one that came with them can you still put the on the right hand bottom or not so dont like this

you still need to follow your states laws regarding the GPS locations, also you need to know the other states if you intend to travel into one of them so you don't cop a fine as each state is different. Just like towing!