New Memory Map for All

boobook

Memory Map has just announced Memory Map for all. Previously it had free Memory Map for PC, Mac, IOS and Android but they all worked slightly differently.

They just released it with the same user interface across the range for all the above plus Linux. Still free.

I think it must still be in beta as it is kind of hidden on their webpage.

It improves the user interface, track and waypoint management and search. It found all my old maps on my PC.

Compared to Hema, Exploroz etc., it is all platforms and free. You just buy the maps once, and you own them. I hate paying annually for maps that disappear when you stop paying. I can use maps I bought or made 10 years ago.

Compared to the free apps, it is easy to use and not rely on OSM, which is improving but still not dependable.

From what I can see, I still like the old PC version for planning. It is so feature rich. But this is much better for Android and Ios.

boobook

I just spent an hour with this new version. It has some really cool features. The new maps view features are great.

You can swipe between different maps either at your location or anywhere ( eg a tight scale so you can find turns, and a wider scale so you have an overview of where you are going. So far I have loaded 3 "pages" for different maps.
Then you can even have a map in the map to do the same thing. VERY nice.

Already it is clear that this is a step or two up from the tablet versions and very configurable.

Highly recommended from what I have found so far.

1662249729910.png

1662249852438.png
1662250210618.png

Last edited:

dirvine

Please excuse my "ignorance" but why do people think memory maps is the best? I have Ozi explorer, cost was $25 and I use Get Lost maps. Most important areas are 1:25000 and are "free" or a small donation if you want to. Looking at MM maps just Victoria is $99 for same resolution and I did not bother looking anywhere else. It would be very expensive to get the whole of Australia, so there must be some huge reason why people would pay lots of money for something that does just about the same (or is it) as Ozi for $25 all up.

Thanks

Albynsw

Please excuse my "ignorance" but why do people think memory maps is the best? I have Ozi explorer, cost was $25 and I use Get Lost maps. Most important areas are 1:25000 and are "free" or a small donation if you want to. Looking at MM maps just Victoria is $99 for same resolution and I did not bother looking anywhere else. It would be very expensive to get the whole of Australia, so there must be some huge reason why people would pay lots of money for something that does just about the same (or is it) as Ozi for $25 all up.

Thanks

For $99 you get a full set of Hema maps AUSTRALIA wide

I stopped using Ozi in about 2009 as it is clunky to use and no good on a iPad
I just visited their site again and has a crappy layout and doesn’t even fit on a screen of my phone to view it
Doesn’t give me any confidence to go back, managed to look at the prices and it costs way now than $25 bucks to get started

boobook

Thanks

Dirvine. I think you are mixing the maps from the program.

The Ozi platform is $25. The Memory Map one is free. If you just get Ozi or Memory map, you have no maps. Hema maps for either is $100 for both. Hema maps on Hema is $100 per annum. You can use any maps on any platform for no extra cost with Memory Map. I never understood how to use Ozi on a PC either.

The offline 25K maps for Get lost are ok, but the image quality is pretty average at best. You could download the Geotiff ones and use them in Memory Map if you want to. But 25K ones that you can purchase in Memory Map are much better presentation, much better resolution, and more up-to-date in general. ( talking about the offline ones). I have a copy of the Get lost ones but wouldn't bother using them. MM is updated to the latest DELWP maps with paid copyright.

Ozi is similar to the old Memory map on Android. Ok, but really clunky IMHO. This new MM is a different level and as I highlight above has some new features.

If you are happy with Ozi and free maps from Get lost, great. But I think if my life may depend on mapping in remote places, then what's a $100 one-time purchase for reliable maps, instead of relying on free unknown ones of unknown pedigree?

Try it. It cost nothing other than a bit of time and I am pretty sure it will only take you 5 mins to understand the difference. I think the biggest single thing that sets it apart is the ability to show 2 different maps at different scales at the same time. You can even scroll ahead on one map while keeping a GPS lock on the other map.

Last edited:

boobook

I currently use a thing called a compute stick Windows 11 computer to talk to my Landcruiser screen running Memory Map PC version. I also run android on the OE screen. I have been wanting to move from Windows to Android on my Land Crusier for several years be never found a decent enough nav app. ( I wasted so many hours on bloody Hema)

I also have one of these, so I can zoom in or out or change maps without moving my hands from the steering wheel, http://www.exinterface.com/cpjexr/

I use + - volume for zoom in or out and Channel down < or up > for map scale in or out on the steering wheel.

I just tried it on my tablet and it works. I can select any map or both and control them from the steering wheel. So the next step is to set it all up on my Android OE screen set up.

1662257643132.png

mikehzz

I've tried using it on 2 Android devices that already have the old Memory Map plus the Hema Australia and NSW Topo maps all activated and it won't use the maps. For a start, it won't use them from the same location as the old Memory Map, and if I try and copy them through the app it throws an error and doesn't copy. Did you do anything special to get your existing maps to work?

boobook

I've tried using it on 2 Android devices that already have the old Memory Map plus the Hema Australia and NSW Topo maps all activated and it won't use the maps. For a start, it won't use them from the same location as the old Memory Map, and if I try and copy them through the app it throws an error and doesn't copy. Did you do anything special to get your existing maps to work?
I tried it on my PC and it just found all the old maps. I agree that looks a bit strange on android. I did redownload some and it was happy but the storage difference from the old version seems strange. I'm downloading from the app now but don't know why it has to do that. I'm looking into it now. I loaded it on my car and it has some great displays.

Update.. I get an error too.

boobook

MIke. While it still seems strange that the files have to be copied. It always fails on my google sat image maps that I georeferenced. They are huge.

When I look at maps anywhere, it seems to have found may of the old version maps. Does yours?

mikehzz

MIke. While it still seems strange that the files have to be copied. It always fails on my google sat image maps that I georeferenced. They are huge.

When I look at maps anywhere, it seems to have found may of the old version maps. Does yours?
It seems the maps that it copies until it gets to a map that errors and doesn't try to continue. It seems strange that it cat use them as is.

boobook

The Windows option has this. In my android version, it has SD card blanked out in the same spot.

1662273232949.png

Grinbot

I have installed the "For All" version on my iPhone and it is quite an upgrade! Better performance and easier to use. They have moved the "control interfaces" into the corners which works well with the rounded corners and the top notch on the iPhones.

I still wouldn't call it first class app design, but its pretty functional and certainly beats that the rubbish Hema 4x4 Explorer!

hulsty

I've downloaded the app on my phone and computer, but doesnt look like I can use existing Maps, (ie Getlost Maps and Ozi Maps) ?

boobook

I've downloaded the app on my phone and computer, but doesnt look like I can use existing Maps, (ie Getlost Maps and Ozi Maps) ?
You could download and import Getlost geotiff but IMHO the quality of those maps doesn't justify the effort. There is a great program called mapc2mapc that can convert ozi to geotiff. But if you don't do a lot then the licences will probably be similar to buying.

Maps are a bit like operating systems, you invest in the ecosystem.

rob_macca67

I think once or "if they" ever include the Auto Route feature that follows the actual road from Point-A to Point-B, then for me, I may consider looking more into it and possibly use it as my main tool but the way I do my planning it is of no real benefit to me currently. The Hema 4WD maps I can see as being useful as a reference tool but I still prefer Vector Maps and the ability to auto-route & not have to tap in a number of waypoints to create a route. With today's technology, it would have been great to see this feature as part of the new version... Hopefully, it will in the near future.

Grinbot

What apps are there that support "auto routing" (and have it actually work in an acceptable manner) in non-urban settings?

cam04

What apps are there that support "auto routing" (and have it actually work in an acceptable manner) in non-urban settings?
maps.me amongst others. Personally I wouldn't leave before I was sure of where I was going in a non urban setting. There are too many 'gazetted' old cobb and co tracks etc that just don't exist anymore which are still shown on Hema and every other map. I wouldn't trust a computer to plan a route unless I wanted to get into trouble.