Change background image

New member from Melbourne (Mercedes ML270 CDI)

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Cammysneddz, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Cammysneddz

Cammysneddz New Member

newbie here. Done a bit of 4x4 driving in company cars I used to own. Recently bought an old Mercedes ML that I intend on lightly modifying to tackle some mild trails and generally get me and the family out of the city for an odd weekend here or there. So far I’ve bought a second set of wheels with some larger muddies and just generally tidied it up a bit. Muddies not fitted yet.

Attached Files:

4x4admin, Bomber2012 and Albynsw like this.
  2. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Welcome. The 270 has the same 5 cylinder as the 2.7 Grand Cherokee. Keep an eye out for the "black death". The 20 cent washer on the injector fails causing black gunk to form around the injector and bingo black smoke everywhere. A real bastard to fix in the Jeep, you have to drop the motor out to get at the back two injectors. Hopefully easier in the Merc. Nice motor otherwise though.

BTFIVO likes this.
  3. Cammysneddz

Cammysneddz New Member

Funny you should mention that. It’s in the shop right now having an injector leak looked at. Seems like it’s just started to happen on injector one. But yes. Supposed let easier as better access on the Mercs. Great motor tho. I love it.

BTFIVO likes this.
  4. mikehzz

Get them all done, it's easier if they haven't been compromised. The new seals are supposed to be a lot better.

BTFIVO and Bomber2012 like this.
  5. 2002GU3

2002GU3 Well-Known Member

G'day mate, welcome to earth

6. Cammysneddz

Cammysneddz New Member

It’s just the one that’s being done. Luckily I’ve got a warranty on the car and it’s being covered under that. If another goes it won’t cost me anything anyways. I’ll just remove the engine cover every now and then to make sure all is well so I can catch it in time if another one does let go.

Attached Files:

7. mikehzz

Yep, that's black death.

8. Aaron Schubert

Aaron Schubert Moderator

Welcome to the forum mate

Aaron

9. cradokaone

cradokaone Member

Good day mate, hope you 4WD adventures don't start out with you getting bogged in your drive way ;) hehehehe

mcflurry likes this.
  10. mcflurry

mcflurry New Member

Bogged in the driveway. Brutal!

Welcome mate

11. deepop

deepop 4x4 Earth Contributer

G'day and welcome. That'll be great to see out on the tracks.

12. Cammysneddz

Cammysneddz New Member

I was due a comment or two like that sooner or later. Won’t be a serious 4x4. More just something I can drive every day and pull a trailer with for work that I can use for the odd weekend here and there. I’ve seen a few of these modified quite well and they seem relatively capable with a few mods so will be interesting to see how it goes. Not a serious off roader at all but ladder frame chassis and low range gearbox plus a nice torquey motor should make for a reasonable start. I never bought it with the intention of taking it off road but after seeing a few I thought what the hell. Least it’ll be something different.

mikehzz and cradokaone like this.
  13. cradokaone

cradokaone Member

Glad to oblige hehe.
    Modding it will be some fun!
    Looking back in the days of yore some amazing trips were made in the scrub with standard vehicles, especially earlier on with high clearance, chassis type, locked diff models and those skinny little tyres.
    I figured you were angling for a bite............

14. Cammysneddz

Cammysneddz New Member

In fairness to the old ml it does have a low range box and ladder frame chassis. Should do a bit better when I mount these tyres and wind the torsion bar up a bit.

Attached Files:

cradokaone likes this.
  15. mikehzz

Mate, the drive system is pretty damn good. If you get some rubber underneath it, it will go most places depending on its main weakness which will be ground clearance. The trouble is, you start scraping things and it can get expensive due to scarcity.

cradokaone likes this.
  16. Cammysneddz

Cammysneddz New Member

Yeh. My mate rekons he’s gonna fab me up a couple of bash plates. I don’t intend on doing anything too crazy with it. Just some mild tracks. Should be good enough for what I want it for. I’d prefer something better off road but for the $6000 it owes me I couldn’t think of anything else that would give me as much on road comfort/economy with the mild off road ability.

Albynsw likes this.
  17. cradokaone

cradokaone Member

If you're looking for one to restore, this one was a one owner and I'm told 2 years old before it became as one with the bush.

Attached Files:

18. Cammysneddz

Cammysneddz New Member

keep it coming!!!

They have potential to be more than part of the bush.

Attached Files:

discomatt and cradokaone like this.
  19. cradokaone

cradokaone Member

:)

20. jacnden

jacnden Well-Known Member

welcome to the forum, glad to see something different. keep us posted how things go