New LR Defender in 2020

Vesko

I've had 4 late model German cars and the Landy and the build quality was on a par on mine. Nothing fell off, squeaked or broke. @Vesko, do you agree?
I do agree, but also on two occasions I had a chance to compare the same model of a car I drove both in Europe and in Australia. For some reason the Australian versions felt like crap in comparison. Perhaps I imagine things or perhaps the Australian importers are taking us for granted selling us dismal variations.

Albynsw

Well there ya go, I must have got the only reliable LR's to ever roll off the line.
After I did my last post I added up the numbers and its an astounding 505,000km without being totally stranded
I think the issue comes from people having a small glitch that takes a couple of visits to a dealer to get rectified not brake down pain in the ass stuff.
My sister in law drives a new VW, brand new and a sensor died so the rear tailgate wouldn't open all the way with the electics, she had to use her hand until the sensor was replaced. That is a fault and is listed as one x against the car, so what big deal it doesn't make it an unreliable car...
In general I had a pretty good run with the three LR’s I have owned the D1 suffered a bit of overheating that the dealer never seemed to be able to rectify, I had two new Range Rovers after that and there was a couple of tilt trays to the dealership, on one occasion the steering rack and wheel collapsed onto my wife’s lap while she was driving along.
I saw some of the repair bill invoices that were covered under warranty and they were scary enough that I changed them over at the end of each warranty period.
I loved them though and would buy again if the situation arose.
The thing that turns me off the most is that you do your arse big time on them financially, you can’t give a second hand one away and for such expensive vehicles their dealership experience is very poor compared to other comparable brands.

mikehzz

In general I had a pretty good run with the three LR’s I have owned the D1 suffered a bit of overheating that the dealer never seemed to be able to rectify, I had two new Range Rovers after that and there was a couple of tilt trays to the dealership, on one occasion the steering rack and wheel collapsed onto my wife’s lap while she was driving along.
I saw some of the repair bill invoices that were covered under warranty and they were scary enough that I changed them over at the end of each warranty period.
I loved them though and would buy again if the situation arose.
The thing that turns me off the most is that you do your arse big time on them financially, you can’t give a second hand one away and for such expensive vehicles their dealership experience is very poor compared to other comparable brands.
Valid points, especially the financial one if the kms are high. I think that's why there are a lot of old ones still on the road. They still drive good and you get nothing trying to sell them.

cam04

JD Power ownership satisfaction surveys don’t lie. The biggest fall from grace in recent times has been Mercedes Benz. I’ve followed their reports for years. They also do a long term satisfaction survey over 3 years of ownership. Land Rover is currently ranked 21st out of 25 off-road brands. The good news is they are currently trending upwards and are up one place from 22 last year but they rank amongst the also rans rather than the players.

Last edited:

discomatt

And yet with the reputation and the apparent low long term satisfaction people still buy them and they have a almost cult like following:confused:
Why is that????
I don't think I need to spell out the obvious;)
As far as depreciation from new they are with the worst of them without question , that's why I would never consider buying a new one, I may be a bit nuts but I ain't stupid.
We would have lost 25k on value since owning the D4, friends bought a 200 just after we got ours, same year, same color same top model spec, I just checked and they would have done 20 k in the same time so not a lot in it

boobook

IMHO the depreciation argument for or against any 4wd is a crock of shyte. The fact is that if you use your 4wd for off roading, then you drop a bunch of dollars in the toilet. Especially if you add accessories that act like an alarm bell to any buyer. It's the price you have to pay. Doesn't matter which brand you buy.

Buying ex Shopping trollies is a good way to have someone else drop that first $20k of depreciation while having a 4wd that has probably never seen a dirt road.

If you buy a near new 4wd with little depreciation as a goal, never put accessories on it or go 4wding IMHO.

discomatt

And if you buy a 4wd and never take it 4wding ....
I won't finish that because there is bound to be someone who gets all upset because I call them a....

dirvine

Discomatt I am offended!! Ha HA. No I buy new because I then know what the car has done and what I want to be done. People selling will always tell you a story that you really want to know, to justify why its such a good buy. I used to sell cars when I was young and I know how you can "doctor" up the car and also the service manual etc to make it look like its a Toorak Tractor. I/we fooled a lot of RACV VACC inspectors!!. Depreciation is a mute cost or as accountants say a "sunk" cost. But I know in 5 years time, I will get more for my car than you will for a car that is 4+ years older! Also my car has the latest technology, and as I do by buying the last year of a model, with lots of extras at little add on cost. With a Landrover in mind., at least my timing belt change over is a long way off (expensive to do), Extra 2000kms between service than the older D4, and things that go wrong in the older ones because of design faults ie pre 2013 with plastic manifold issues, corrected. etc etc. If we had the same mentality of buying everything 2nd hand because of the depreciation factor, why not buy 2nd hand washing machine, coffee machines, fridges, stoves etc. I could go on, but I guess you understand where I am coming from. So why is a car purchase always thrown up as this sacrosanct item, that should be always purchased 2nd hand to "save" money? I buy new so I get exactly what I want and dont want. 2nd car you have to take whatever is offered even if some things you would not have wanted had you had the ability to choose. But no I am not offended for being called stupid

Albynsw

Discomatt I am offended!! Ha HA. No I buy new because I then know what the car has done and what I want to be done. People selling will always tell you a story that you really want to know, to justify why its such a good buy. I used to sell cars when I was young and I know how you can "doctor" up the car and also the service manual etc to make it look like its a Toorak Tractor. I/we fooled a lot of RACV VACC inspectors!!. Depreciation is a mute cost or as accountants say a "sunk" cost. But I know in 5 years time, I will get more for my car than you will for a car that is 4+ years older! Also my car has the latest technology, and as I do by buying the last year of a model, with lots of extras at little add on cost. With a Landrover in mind., at least my timing belt change over is a long way off (expensive to do), Extra 2000kms between service than the older D4, and things that go wrong in the older ones because of design faults ie pre 2013 with plastic manifold issues, corrected. etc etc. If we had the same mentality of buying everything 2nd hand because of the depreciation factor, why not buy 2nd hand washing machine, coffee machines, fridges, stoves etc. I could go on, but I guess you understand where I am coming from. So why is a car purchase always thrown up as this sacrosanct item, that should be always purchased 2nd hand to "save" money? I buy new so I get exactly what I want and dont want. 2nd car you have to take whatever is offered even if some things you would not have wanted had you had the ability to choose. But no I am not offended for being called stupid
You will definitely burn more coin than the late model 2nd hand buyer but I buy new as well knowing I will cop it in the neck but am ok with that

discomatt

Sorry post was not worded very well, I was not intending to call anyone who bought a new car stupid, if I did I would be a kettle calling the pot black.
I have bought 2 new cars and probably will again if the bank balance is willing, probably not a LR though, having spent 13 years in the automotive industry I know how to pick the better ones, but as mentioned there will always be a compromise. The D4 was no rear diff lock but the rest of the car ticked every box

boobook

Yeah. I'm offended too Matt. But i know I deserve it. No serious offloading in my new 200 yet. It's getting too long. Work is too disruptive lately.. cry cry.

cam04

There’s a reason there’s so many different cars. We are all different. All good. I just bought a white, base model forester as our family runaround - say no more. Possibly the ugliest of all the compact suv’s on the market, with higher relative ownership costs and a cvt box.......fire away :cool:. For us it ticked the right amount of not negotiable boxes on the shopping list. We have had higher end euros and turbo japs and got it out of our system when we were younger. After a week they are all just cars to us so we spend money on other things.
There’s plenty worse 4wds to buy than a new land rover. It just depends on what your not negotiable parameters are, how big your ego is (yes, we all have them and they play a big part in car buying), how much you are willing to spend to tick your boxes and what you are willing to compromise. My wife, for example, flat refuses to consider a Prado. It should be pretty high on our list but she won’t even get in one to drive it. Her views have absolutely nothing to do with the car itself, but rather what it represents to her, and nothing I’ll ever say or do is going to change that (ego). Where we live there seems to be an inordinately large percentage of muppets driving prados for all the wrong reasons and thinking they are pretty awesome doing it - possibly has something to do with her ratio...haha.

dirvine

I fall into that category Matt, my three Landrovers always stayed home and went bush in a Toyota :p
I had a brand new Toyota 76 with an Auto fitted when I also bought the LR. I know which is better in the bush and it aint the Toyota. Sold to my son who thinks its the ducks nuts. Until he comes out with me....

Albynsw

I had a brand new Toyota 76 with an Auto fitted when I also bought the LR. I know which is better in the bush and it aint the Toyota. Sold to my son who thinks its the ducks nuts. Until he comes out with me....
Did your 76 come with twin lockers? They do get caught out pretty easily without them unless you have a lot of flex.
I don’t doubt the LR’s abilities off-road, there are lots of vehicles that will match or better my Toyota off-road BUT when they stop going I know which one I want to be sitting in.
A capital city is a long way to get flatbedded when your LR don’t want to play with you and the local mechanics look at them like they are a spaceship.
I recall reading a fellow who got recovered from the Simpson and then had to be flatbedded to Brisbane and had a bill up around the 10 k mark to contend with.

discomatt

Yeah. I'm offended too Matt. But i know I deserve it. No serious offloading in my new 200 yet. It's getting too long. Work is too disruptive lately.. cry cry.
Well in that case I expect to see you up at Skipworth for the Vic gathering, even if its just for a couple of nights, you could even do 1 night because its so close.
See ya there ;)

dirvine

Nothing from factory other than air con. Then driven to Marks for Auto. On another forum, a LC 76 is stuck in Coober Pedy as they cannot get a seal for a front hub. In thought Toyota had part everywhere. Infact on the Canning a few years back I saw a number of cars on flat beds. Not one was a Landrover and I saw a number of them. When they saw what I was driving they laughed (driving a Great Wall X2400) but I never broke down! This idea that every town has Toyota parts and everybody knows how to fix them is just rubbish. In fact they are now as unreliable as as all the rest and have huge recalls because of poor quality control. Their mantel is slipping. But just like everybody rubbishes LR based on past history (not recent history) they still judge Toyota on past history and apply it to todays vehicles which is so outdated its a joke..... and they are bloody expensive,thirsty and uncomfortable, that why I sold it to my son after 3 months of evaluation with my LR.

Albynsw

Nothing from factory other than air con. Then driven to Marks for Auto. On another forum, a LC 76 is stuck in Coober Pedy as they cannot get a seal for a front hub. In thought Toyota had part everywhere. Infact on the Canning a few years back I saw a number of cars on flat beds. Not one was a Landrover and I saw a number of them. When they saw what I was driving they laughed (driving a Great Wall X2400) but I never broke down! This idea that every town has Toyota parts and everybody knows how to fix them is just rubbish. In fact they are now as unreliable as as all the rest and have huge recalls because of poor quality control. Their mantel is slipping. But just like everybody rubbishes LR based on past history (not recent history) they still judge Toyota on past history and apply it to todays vehicles which is so outdated its a joke..... and they are bloody expensive,thirsty and uncomfortable, that why I sold it to my son after 3 months of evaluation with my LR.
I agree that Toyota are not what they used to be and let’s face it ALL brands have issues but the stats tell you some more than others just the same. Modern day cars have become fickle in general with all their gadgetry
But let’s get this in perspective, go to any rural or remote part of Australia and tell me which brand dominates the landscape, tell me if a town is big enough to support a dealership which brand that is most likely to be?

You can’t deny that when things do go wrong there are brands that the odds are going to be stacked much better in your favour than others to get an easier resolution. Those are the facts and reality of the situation and from there you roll the dice and run with what you feel comfortable with.

I will never argue that Toyota is better just that they are best when things go wrong.

dirvine

I guess in the outback they have the old ones that are simple to get going not the new complex ones. As i said trading on past history not current outcomes. The whole arguement around the latest Defender is that its not like the old one, it has all this gadtry etc etc. I think you will find loyal Toyota dihards would say the same about the new 70 series ones as well, if they bothered to look under the bonnet or front seats or behind the dash!