New Kings Rooftop?

mac_man_luke

looks interesting but i sure wouldnt buy it without a good look first, looks a bit cheap in the photos but hard to tell exactly.
Also on the heavier end and bulky but less than half the price of the quality models

Albynsw

You would want to have a good look at it but it has a lot of good features like
-heavy weight canvas
- better ventilation than a lot of them
-rain, shade awning included
- longer mattress than others which is a big negative for others
The weight is a bit of a downer but a lot of them are up there too.

It is worth a closer look.

Hoyks

It wouldn't suit me. The 2150mm would see either my feet on the metal roof or canvas on my head.

Its also a long bastard. Notice it is positioned over the roof rack on the dual cab roof, but I'd bet its not bolted to it. There is a lot of movement of the tub relative to the cab in a dual cab that would rip a roof rack or canopy attachment points apart

mikehzz

At the 4wd show on the weekend, the Alucab flip up hard shells were on every second truck at over $5K a piece. They all weigh around the same, I was looking at it for my trailer.. i'm not a fan of roof tents on my daily driver.

Albynsw

This one interests me more:
http://www.mwtoolboxqld.com.au/motop-by-mw-roof-top-tent/

Only 160mm high - almost half the kings but maybe too thin that might cause issues with leaving stuff in the tent which is the main attraction

57-60kgs depending on width

and still under $3k
Wow that looks pretty good, the lower profile is a big plus, if you can leave your bedding in their and just remove the pillows I think I could live with that.

I need to replace my RTT soon so are keeping an eye out for options, the last trip I did a mate had a new James Baroud one and it seemed ok but I didn’t think it was awesome by any means, another had the Icamp one and they couldn’t fit their bedding in it either

heard the bush company one has quite a low roof when open compared with most so cant stand in it to get changed etc

Thing i dont like about JB rtts is the lack of awnings/weather protection, seem like very fair weather tents

Albynsw

5k is a lot of money for a tent, that buys you a old caravan, new Chinese camper trailer or good used camper trailer.... I couldn't spend it on a tent.
I agree but have you seen what people are paying for camper trailers these days?
My mate has a Patriot and they are 40 plus thousand and there are a lot of the T vans on the road at 80k
Big coin all of them, I personally struggle to see the value in any of them

5k is a lot of money for a tent, that buys you a old caravan, new Chinese camper trailer or good used camper trailer.... I couldn't spend it on a tent.
True, but some of us find towing anything a pain in the _ rse (even though I do it occasionally :)). To me, the Kings RTT looks a good value proposition to consider. RTT's have their place, but I prefer a quick erect tent or swag and maintaining the convenience of not having to pack up the RTT if you want to use your vehicle.

I agree but have you seen what people are paying for camper trailers these days?
My mate has a Patriot and they are 40 plus thousand and there are a lot of the T vans on the road at 80k
Big coin all of them, I personally struggle to see the value in any of them
I too have thought they are way too much for what they are... but i had to admit that maybe the price of some could be on the mark... i only say this because i started to build my own 4x4 camper... in fact still am.. so Far cost is now up to $3000 about 2x more then i 1st thought it would cost me..

Then the time to build it,,, ... well lets say it would have been cheaper to have payed someone that knows what they are doing,
then for me to have done it. and it would have at least been square too... LOL
As for Roof Top Tents... i dont have a lot of spare cash, so i did go with the Kings RTT .. it cost me $600 + two years ago.. its been on my box trailer and been used heaps.... would i buy anther yes, but only because the price is worth what it is...