New Hema Explorer App

4x4 Earth Black Friday Sale

boobook

I see Hema released a new Hema Explorer app for apple and android this week.

New Hema Explorer app

Thank god, the last version was a piece of useless junk that didn't do anything well, and was riddled with bugs and super laggy. I had high expectations but was disappointed when I tried it.

It looks like it will do raster and vector mapping. That would be a great step, I am not aware of any other raster product for off road use ( other than OSM based ones which are untrustworthy for the track accuracy, and completeness) so this new one looks promising.

But I see on the Play store that it appears next to the only one I have bought. $49.99. Has anyone tried to upgrade, I hope they aren't trying to do a 'Mud Map' on me and charge again for the working versions. .. I've already given Hema $49.99 for 1 piece of crap, I hope they don't want a second lick of money for me to see if this one is any better.

Last edited:

boobook

Look at Gaia GPS also
Yeah YAMBOFOSM* map red hilux. I see you can buy Vic, NSW, SA topo etc but I have that on Memory Map already. It does have some promise and worth looking at in more detail. Thanks

Nothing beats a combination of Hema, Westprint and Australian Topo 250 maps for the outback IMHO. so support for those is mandatory for me.

*Yet Another Map Based On Free Open Street Maps. OSM is getting better but is still untrustworthy for little-used tracks.

Edit: Interesting - when I looked at the maps on their website, it opened up exactly where I was last checked out OSM a few weeks ago. On a track coming off the Anne Beadell Highway in SA.

Edit to the edit Also It does look like it is a vector map with detail. It is different to what I have seen before. Interesting Red Hilux. Thanks, You've given me something to do this morning.

Last edited:

red hilux

I was a big Hema fan. Ever since there crash in November/December last year, then taking what feels like an eternity for a”fix” for a frequent 4wder. I moved on and found that one.
Great thing is you can download off line sate maps

the latest hema still doesn’t work on my iPhone. Sync is never completed. Works on the iPad, but haven’t used it off roading again.

we did a trip about 3 months ago. Everyone that ran hema had problems. App crashing

Hema subscription fee is 50/yr
Gaia subscription is 27/yr

the one thing I do use hema for is cloud back up for tracks.
Every now and again. I will send trips from Gaia to hema

monbeg

I was a big Hema fan. Ever since there crash in November/December last year, then taking what feels like an eternity for a”fix” for a frequent 4wder. I moved on and found that one.
Great thing is you can download off line sate maps

the latest hema still doesn’t work on my iPhone. Sync is never completed. Works on the iPad, but haven’t used it off roading again.

we did a trip about 3 months ago. Everyone that ran hema had problems. App crashing

Hema subscription fee is 50/yr
Gaia subscription is 27/yr

the one thing I do use hema for is cloud back up for tracks.
Every now and again. I will send trips from Gaia to hema
And GAIA runs on carplay in my Kenwood unit in the MUX.

Warby

But I see on the Play store that it appears next to the only one I have bought. $49.99. Has anyone tried to upgrade, I hope they aren't trying to do a 'Mud Map' on me and charge again for the working versions. .. I've already given Hema $49.99 for 1 piece of crap, I hope they don't want a second lick of money for me to see if this one is any better.
Given that they're touting it as a "brand new" app, not just an update to the existing app, I expect they will be wanting you to pay another $50... Plus another $50/year for the "Hema Premium Map Layer" for offline access to the full vector map, plus another $50 again per year if you want their raster map pack... adds up quick.

Swaggie

@boobook

Nothings changed , maybe a bit of lipstick on a pig scenario.
They won’t be getting another cent off me especially when 2008 Rooftop maps work very well with Ozi in The High Country.

Never heard of Gaia but looking forward to your review:p;)

red hilux

I love it.
If your use to hema, Gaia will be easy to pick up. Very similar.
You can download sate maps for offline use

it’s free to download if you want to look. Only pay on what you want

TasmanSam

I'll throw my hat in and recommend Gaia too, super easy to use and very reasonably priced for the pro version which has the detailed maps. I moved from hema after my tasmania topo maps remained broken for months and months when they broke the app.