New Hema 4x4 Explorer App

Albynsw

Memory Map is its own system. It's free for PC, Android, Mac and IOS. Then you buy or import your own maps. Eg Vic topo, NSW topo Qld Topo and the Hema 4wd maps including their really good 250k Australia wide topo. The Hema maps are $99.

Many years ago, Hema rebranded Memory Map and bundled it with the 4wd maps for $99 but only for IOS. It is the same thing and I believe you can even buy state maps.

So they are the same thing and really good maps, though if you use the Memory Map version it will also work on your PC android etc. The PC version is brilliant for planning and importing paper maps if you buy that option. It may even work with your hema account.

I hope that makes sense.

yep, I have the old $99 Hema, I decided on that over MM because I thought at some stage Hema may have withdrawn access rights to their maps for MM
That 250 Topo is a great map
I am happy with the Hema map set I have, maybe it is blissful ignorance and there is better to be had??

mikehzz

I've had MM with the Hema map bundle for quite a few years now and couldn't be happier. I've had it running on Windows, Apple iOS and Android devices all using the same maps at no extra cost. The free MM PC software is great for planning trips. I use Waze on the way to my trips because it tells me where traffic holdups and police traps are in real time.

alloffroadau

yep, I have the old $99 Hema, I decided on that over MM because I thought at some stage Hema may have withdrawn access rights to their maps for MM
That 250 Topo is a great map
I am happy with the Hema map set I have, maybe it is blissful ignorance and there is better to be had??
Depends on your Travel, the ExploOz Traveller maps have the most tracks for OZ no doubt, but also means some are now overgrown or not accessible anymore as they don't sanitise their maps like Hema did a little while ago.

Albynsw

The other way around Hema licences Memory Maps, Memory Maps is further developed and now has a few features Hema does not have like on map track selection.

So the MM is a better way to go?
I have two friends new to touring off-road and are wanting mapping programs . Do you think steer them towards the MM?

alloffroadau

I have two friends new to touring off-road and are wanting mapping programs . Do you think steer them towards the MM?
if they want Hema Maps yes definitely, ExporeOz Traveller has better maps, Track's and POI's though so it's my First choice atm

boobook

It's definitely my favourite. The best thing is the PC version has lots of planning features. And to my knowledge, it is one of the few you can print maps with. I print out sections of maps for a trip on my A3 printer and use them as back up / planning one the way.

I can import GPX tracks from Hema and Exploroz

alloffroadau

@alloffroadau, your mapping reviews have been great and your videos have been great lately, I loved the one around Fowlers Bay.

Do you plan to do a Memory Map review. If so take the time to get the PC version and review that. It has some outstanding features for planning before leaving home including importing paper maps, 3D view, stitching maps, joining or splitting tracks, etc.
thanks mate, I may do a Memory-Maps review at some stage, but won't be a PC version as I use Mac. (will see maybe I can run PC version in Cross Over on Mac) The Mac desktop APP is ok but seems to miss a lot of features the PC app has. Web Apps like Gaia are probably better nowadays

stevemc181

I’ve just installed exploroz on a Samsung Galax7 11” 256gb tablet. First impressions are it runs as smooth as silk and looks great! I’m waiting for the new map release due in March before buying the offline map though. I’ll run this and Ozi Android, should cover me for the vast majority of things.

Love the POI’s on Exploroz, the ability to upload your own pics and details and to view others is great. I’ll use it a bit more in depth once the new maps are released and I head up to the Kimberley in May.

boobook

thanks mate, I may do a Memory-Maps review at some stage, but won't be a PC version as I use Mac. (will see maybe I can run PC version in Cross Over on Mac) The Mac desktop APP is ok but seems to miss a lot of features the PC app has. Web Apps like Gaia are probably better nowadays

Gaia uses OSM and is untrustworthy. I think you even mentioned OSM in one of your videos. Great for busy areas useless for remote areas. No thanks.

alloffroadau

Gaia uses OSM and is untrustworthy. I think you even mentioned OSM in one of your videos. Great for busy areas useless for remote areas. No thanks.
hm, I'm saying the Gaia web app is feature-wise quite good and for planing at home I prefer it over Memory Maps, however, my planing is only rudimentary as we usually follow our nose. . As I mentioned in the video I would only rely on OSM if you stay mainly on tar or in and around population centres.

boobook

hm, I'm saying the Gaia web app is feature-wise quite good and for planing at home I prefer it over Memory Maps, however, my planing is only rudimentary as we usually follow our nose. . As I mentioned in the video I would only rely on OSM if you stay mainly on tar or in and around population centres.
Ok thanks. I really suggest you try the MM PC version it is completely different from the tablet and Apple versions. IMHO it leaves anything else in its dust for planning. Of course the tablet versions of MM are not great for planning at home.

monbeg

Another factor that probably needs to be considered nowadays and doesn't seem to be getting mentioned is whether the mapping software is CarPlay compatible.
I run a Kenwood DDX9019DABS unit and can run GAIA, Waze and Magic Earth on there from my phone.

The GAIA has the ability to overlay state topo maps for good detail.

boobook

Another factor that probably needs to be considered nowadays and doesn't seem to be getting mentioned is whether the mapping software is CarPlay compatible.
I run a Kenwood DDX9019DABS unit and can run GAIA, Waze and Magic Earth on there from my phone.

The GAIA has the ability to overlay state topo maps for good detail.

Unfortunately they are not much chop away from populated areas

CTL

F5DF147C-1670-4962-B57C-3E8ED719CBDD.jpeg

duncan_m

This new version is proving nothing but frustrating.. After buying a new tablet and finding the old App was no longer installable I've splashed out for the new app, and a premium map subscription ($100 in total)..

I have downloaded all of the Premium Maps and all of the Hema Touring Maps.. but for the life of me I cant get the "Hema Explorer" style working offline.. Two images below, the map styles available when online, and the map styles available when offline.. note how "Hema Explorer" is missing when offline.. anyone know how to resolve this?

When ONLINE.. "Hema Explorer" style is available

online.jpg

When OFFLINE "Hema Explorer" style is not available.

offline.jpg

duncan_m

I have downloaded all of the Premium Maps and all of the Hema Touring Maps.. but for the life of me I cant get the "Hema Explorer" style working offline.. Two images below, the map styles available when online, and the map styles available when offline.. note how "Hema Explorer" is missing when offline.. anyone know how to resolve this?

I've since found the answer to my own question.. the old "raster" maps are not available offline.

Pissweak.. the new "Premium" maps are terrible and missing a great deal of detail that was in the old maps.

boobook

They've gone from bad to worse. I'm not even sure what the maps is supposed to do. Is it an off road map, or a new advertising tool for caravan parks and pie shops? It is littered with "helpful" business icons that just get in the way. Meanwhile I can't even find the map I want. I don't even know what maps are on it, in the cloud, online, offline or not accessed yet.

And after all that it keeps crashing!

USELESS P.O.S.

They now have
The 4wd app ( Memory Map and I love that),
HemaX
Hema Explorer
Hema 4x4 Explorer
Hema Camper x
Hema Cloud Explorer.
Hema HX1 navigator

6 apps that overlap but are used differently, and don't talk to each other, and all but one are unusable and riddled with bugs.

Best to use none. Talk about a brand trashing it's self.

Last edited:

Baggs71

Boobook....whats the simplest approach for offline maps..on a small tablet?
And has the detail we are accustomed to in these pages?
20210321_083758.jpg