New Hema 4x4 Explorer App

Jal

So, Hema has released a new app (4x4 Explorer) which means the original, buggy, but generally useful "Hema Explorer" App will become unsupported and practically dead. Anyone has feedback about 4x4 Explorer? I'm subscribed to Hema Explorer Pro and before subscribing to the new one I'd like to know if it is any good. There seems to be very little info in the web beyond Hema's itself. Thanks.

monbeg

Already being discussed...twice

boobook

With it being based in the US, how have u found the Topo Maps for Australia? Are they vector maps? or are they just the OSM Topo Maps?

Unfortunately, they are just the 100'th version of OSM. Nothing really new to see compared to the other OSM maps on the market. Though it does have the paid state maps, which are fine for close in detail but not very good for a wider scale. It is interesting but the fact that it uses OSM kills it. It is one of the better OSM variants, but not good enough to trust and like all of them, as you zoom out you lose tracks.

The New Hema Map is a lot better than the old one. I contacted Hema and am very satisfied with the outcome.

You simply can't beat Hema maps for the outback and touring - except the high country. I believe there will be a new, more detailed 3 part HC map coming soon.

red hilux

Will the new hema app come with bug fixes?

I still can’t sync my data.

Only been 11 months now

Jal

For remote 4WD, Hema Explorer with a Pro subscription was hard to beat when it worked fully. I have been 80% satisfied with it. The worst was when it crashed when trying to download a map section. I have stopped my subscription now because they will let it die.

bookbook, as it seems we are on the same boat, It would be great if you could add more info and feedbackabout 4x4 Explorer in relation to HE (Pro). I am happy to subscribe, but am I correct that you need to purchase two subscriptions to obtain the full benefits (Premium $50/yr + Extra maps $50/yr? $100/yr on top of App cost is a bit dear...

My checklist of must-have features is:
  1. Detailed HE map for all of Australia that can be downloaded and used offline
  2. Tracking and possibility to download and store separately track files
  3. "Iconic" Hema maps (desert tracks etc)
  4. Cloud sync and possibility to plan routes on desktop
  5. Simple but intuitive filing system (eg create a folder for a trip where you include map sections, tracks, etc).
Secondary:
  1. Topo maps
  2. Satellite
  3. Sharing (I dont't)
  4. Linked photos (I love this feature but can live without it)

cam04

If anyone uses Windy.ty for weather you’ll know they don’t stuff about. They have just released Windy maps. I havent had a chance to use it in anger yet, but it seems like a nice crisp OSM mapping base. Im no expert so I’d be keen to see what others with more experience reckon. I have the hema 4WD app and have been turned around by various inaccuracies before which were in the right place using maps.me in forestry/NP around Blackbutt.

MrPoopypants

shit

move to Gaia GPS

similar, cheaper, works, can download sate maps for off line
G'day folks,
This interests me and I've been meaning to ask a few questions, Redlux I've been checking out gaia maps and would appreciate your opinion here.

Like every one else, I've been fiddling with gps and have a few apps on my phone and an ipad (made the mistake of getting an ipad without 4g but that is fixable).
I've got Hema 4wd and Hema Explorer and paid for the map packages. Works okay but unreliable and buggy. Also have memory maps and gaia.
What I find is I keep referring back to my paper 1:25,000 topos, which seem more accurate than anything else and easier to use.

I'd like to just load all the 1:25,000 NSW and Vic topos onto an iPad and my iPhone and use those to gps my position on the topo. This would be handy when I'm out bushwalking, fishing, climbing etc.

So, which app is easiest to use, load the NSW topos into?? I'm not really interested in recording waypoints or logging routes etc. Seems like Gaia is pretty easy to use, but need to get one of the subscriptions?? Can I load the geopdfs into it via iTunes? Or do I buy them once in the subscription?
Memory maps seems to be that you buy some version of topos, but are they the NSW 1:25,000 series?
Hema 4wd seems to be memory maps but I can't seem to add topos to it??
I've floundered for quite a few hours with all this, thought some of you might have some advice?
Once I've sorted this thinking of putting a car play player in the dash that can show the app? Could do with a larger reversing camera screen (and thicker glasses)
Lost in the thickets
PP

Swaggie

G'day folks,
This interests me and I've been meaning to ask a few questions, Redlux I've been checking out gaia maps and would appreciate your opinion here.

Like every one else, I've been fiddling with gps and have a few apps on my phone and an ipad (made the mistake of getting an ipad without 4g but that is fixable).
I've got Hema 4wd and Hema Explorer and paid for the map packages. Works okay but unreliable and buggy. Also have memory maps and gaia.
What I find is I keep referring back to my paper 1:25,000 topos, which seem more accurate than anything else and easier to use.

I'd like to just load all the 1:25,000 NSW and Vic topos onto an iPad and my iPhone and use those to gps my position on the topo. This would be handy when I'm out bushwalking, fishing, climbing etc.

So, which app is easiest to use, load the NSW topos into?? I'm not really interested in recording waypoints or logging routes etc. Seems like Gaia is pretty easy to use, but need to get one of the subscriptions?? Can I load the geopdfs into it via iTunes? Or do I buy them once in the subscription?
Memory maps seems to be that you buy some version of topos, but are they the NSW 1:25,000 series?
I've floundered for quite a few hours with all this, thought some of you might have some advice?
Once I've sorted this thinking of putting a car play player in the dash that can show the app? Could do with a larger reversing camera screen (and thicker glasses)
Lost in the thickets
PP

This is why Ozi with Rooftop Maps works so well even with 2008 maps
Buy the Victopo App in Memory Map not Hema....

red hilux

G'day folks,

Lost in the thickets
PP
323272C4-4B22-401C-AC91-E34CB4198F84.png 44F611F5-D5A2-4790-9BD0-8DAC89DC4F3A.png 9EBEB48F-BE22-424F-AF32-DA7CBA5B8AC0.png D6F887DC-3609-48FC-B45F-D278912FB7E7.png 17F3EF7E-9C5D-44CD-BCBC-A9D287B8FE46.png

Here is a screen shot, and what options I have

I pay 27/year ( not premium)
Premium is 50/ yr
App download is free
Sate maps work offline (need to download first)

I prefer sate maps over topo.

I was a big Hema explorer fan before. But the crash changed me. In the earlier stages. My Hema never worked. Even today, my phone won’t sync. My iPad does but not my iPhone.
Hema is 50/year subscription, which I won’t renew.

live been in trip when Hema users weren’t able to use Hema kept crashing. Last weekend just gone was an example. Gaia hasn’t stopped for me.

im now running an android headunit in the Prado. Gaia works in the headunit

Mr PP. I don’t know about geopdf’s
I don’t know about other states. I’m in WA.

Last edited:

MrPoopypants

This is why Ozi with Rooftop Maps works so well even with 2008 maps
Buy the Victopo App in Memory Map not Hema....
Thanks Swaggie, will look at it. Same advice as red99td5 above. I have the rooftop maps on paper and quite like them. Am off to the Snowies and hopefully Victoria soon, so will try to get it sorted. Cheers PP

MrPoopypants

View attachment 69986 View attachment 69987 View attachment 69988 View attachment 69989 View attachment 69990

Here is a screen shot, and what options I have

I pay 27/year ( not premium)
Premium is 50/ yr
App download is free
Sate maps work offline (need to download first)

I prefer sate maps over topo.

I was a big Hema explorer fan before. But the crash changed me. In the earlier stages. My Hema never worked. Even today, my phone won’t sync. My iPad does but not my iPhone.
Hema is 50/year subscription, which I won’t renew.

live been in trip when Hema users weren’t able to use Hema kept crashing. Last weekend just gone was an example. Gaia hasn’t stopped for me.

im now running an android headunit in the Prado. Gaia works in the headunit

Mr PP. I don’t know about geopdf’s
I don’t know about other states. I’m in WA.
Thanks for the reply mate, appreciated.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a sate map? I googled it and couldn't come up with anything. Is it just a typo of state maps?
The headunit interests me quite a bit, looking into that, too. I've only got a small 4in screen in mine, have to put my glasses on to reverse!
If I can load the nsw topos into gaia it sounds like a winner. The map that comes with it doesn't seem too bad, either.
I don't mind spending a bit but some apps are dogs and I really just want to keep it simple.
More googling. Thanks for the tips folks.
Cheers
PP

rob_macca67

Thanks for the reply mate, appreciated.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a sate map? I googled it and couldn't come up with anything. Is it just a typo of state maps?
The headunit interests me quite a bit, looking into that, too. I've only got a small 4in screen in mine, have to put my glasses on to reverse!
If I can load the nsw topos into gaia it sounds like a winner. The map that comes with it doesn't seem too bad, either.
I don't mind spending a bit but some apps are dogs and I really just want to keep it simple.
More googling. Thanks for the tips folks.
Cheers
PP

He is referring to Satellite Maps like u see on Google Maps or Google Earth... U need to be aware of when those Satellite views(maps) were taken as this can very depending on where in Australia u are wanting to go...

Bing Satellite Maps is another option that can be clearer at time than Google and sometimes more up-to-date.

rob_macca67

I see no one in this post has made mentioned the use of the ExplorOZ App... Has anyone had any experience with this App? Just curious...