New DIY Camper trailer

Ok, seeing i dont have a money tree .... I knew i had to build a 4WD trailer to do my 1st OUT BACK trip.... Why build a trailer when there's heap of 2nd Hand camper out there?... Well i drive a low KM's pathfinder and with no sub tank.... i will need to carry at least 100 litres of fuel to 200 litres.. and with no room to put 5 to 10 Jerry cans any were ...Kind-of pushed me to build my own trailer. Also i wanted a trailer that could take a beating, and yet would sleep up to 7 people with only what i wanted in it ... And sadly try to be under 1000 KG's fully loaded.. Can it be done? well i'm under way... yes its been a while in the making...
So over the last year i have been getting everything i needed together, kitchen, fuel tanks, sliders, Axle, solar panels, Battery's switch panel.. and more...
And the build is being done with cheap cordless screwdriver and cordless grinder .. and 100 amp Gas-less Mig welder. the photos so far...

Ok small update... been a little sick last few weeks.. but the build is back in the swing of being done.. Upper frame is almost done, and the mud guards are coming along great, hand made... Was told after i did the 1st guard that i could have had it rolled two streets away.. LOL oh well just going to have to do the other same way.
Have thought hard about set up.. and now going to have front and back panels fold down ..These will be single beds for the children .. As they fold out they will look a little like swags ... with maybe a roof top tent for me... that part not set in stone yet as seeing i do have two awing tents that i could still use. up date again soon..

Attachments

Last edited:
Great start mate. Looks fantastic. Where are you planning on taking it? Is it worth using a different hitch that might be a bit quieter and allow better articulation?

Aaron
Yes your right , but i'm happy using this one for now... And yes i Am 4WDing with the new trailer.. The only reason i'm using the same hitch as the one on my trailer that i'm using now is simple... On my 1st trip with the trailer i'm using now ..stopped my car from rolling over... I was trying to drive for the trailer ( stop damage to guards) that my car started to roll over... it was that type of hitch that saved my car( i could touch the gourd though the open window).. Yes a 4WD hitch i better but for now i will use what i have... i will have a spare hitch for the trailer on hand... If needed.... but staying with what i know what works.

typhoeus

I have one and a 160 amp stick welder so that covers all my welding jobs but i have to replace the handpiece on my mig and sheath thing. Finding the right part is a mission.

I too have a small stick welder, but wouldn't do what i wanted too... Funny thing is this poor old MIG has been repaired so many times... mostly from my own doing...dragging it to wards the job from the handle dont help... but when your in the zone and the welder is working just right ...one forgets....LMAO

Triton14

Great looking project, I don't know much about camper trailers but is it going to be power braked?
I see a hand brake but don't you have to have power brakes if its over 750kg?
Also why no suspension?
I see some with suspension & some without so what's the reasons for or against having it?
Sorry for the questions, just curious!

Great looking project, I don't know much about camper trailers but is it going to be power braked?
I see a hand brake but don't you have to have power brakes if its over 750kg?
Also why no suspension?
I see some with suspension & some without so what's the reasons for or against having it?
Sorry for the questions, just curious!
It has a 2nd hand ALKO axle which has the spring movement in the main beam .. A little like a VW beetle..Yes it has brakes dam big ones the 15" ' rims that came with the Axle only just went over them... but i'm running 16 " same as car....... I did have to remove 300mm from Axle to make it same tracking as my car. Don't know how heavy it is now... when i take it down the road to have it welded up , i will take it over the other side and ask to see what it comes in at ...at this point of build..... then again i'm kind of not wanting to know..LOL
If you look at 1st photo you can see the wires and backing plates for brakes... Also you can see how the Axle drops... thats the privet point.. It come off a 3 year old caravan that got hit by a truck..

Last edited:
Sorry all that have had a quick look at my DIY trailer... been busy and nothing has been done for the last two weeks... And yes.. time is running out to get it finished for Easter ...... So lots have to be done this week... i will post an update in a few days...

dno67

Just a tip on your alko axle, they have different load ratings just like springs and can ride very rough if not matched close to you expected load.
Nice work. keep the progress pics coming.

Just a tip on your alko axle, they have different load ratings just like springs and can ride very rough if not matched close to you expected load.
Nice work. keep the progress pics coming.
yeah... . I know your right about that... Just have to find out the hard way at this point...I've tryed to find out what the load rating is for it... has a number stamped in it but no luck so far... Being from a van its most likely a higher rating... so i know that i may have to do adjustments.. like lower tyre pressure. I had to do that with my trailer i use now .. i had too higher rated springs put in it... so i run 32 in them and it works.... done about 15,000 k m's with it like that..

Ok up date on my build.... in the photos you can see i have hand made my guards and have fitted the floor ... I have also placed the fuel tank over the axle..... why a fuel tank in a trailer? well i'm not able to put a sub tank or larger tank under my car.... also i don't like carrying jerry cans ... thats just me.. And the white panel you can see on the draw bar? that will be a bed that folds down... a little like a swag... i will have them both front and back for the children to sleep ... Well thats the idea ... lol... with any luck i will try and get this done over the next few weeks

Last edited:
Ok a small up date... As one can see from the photos at top of page .. At last up date i had cut the floors to weld in Well thats been done now.. the trailer is now fully welded.. and been spending a lot of time welds are ok... heaps of grinding and cleaning up the welds... And then the sealing of all the joints from not only the top.. but from underneath as well.. i've done the sealing from both sides.. to limit the dust from getting in.... this week was going to have the panels on ... but come in to a small problem.. so looks like one or two more weeks before its done..... some good news if you can call it.. took the trailer to weigh bridge is come it at 450 KG's so far .....so once its had everything put in it ready for 1st trip out... it should just hit 1,000 KG's drive away ... I had planed to try to keep it under 1,000 fully loaded ..and it looks as if i may just get there...

Last edited: