New DIY additions

Triton14

Well while we are talking about the lack of recent content or content that is not directly related to 4x4 I thought Id quickly throw up my latest install/mods.

After needing to add some wait to the tub due to putting in a 250kg spring set I though to myself what are some of the things I want to improve & turn my Triton into a ready to go(with minimal fuss) tourer.

So decided it was time to add a fridge slide & set of drawers.

1st thing the tub liner had to go but I wanted the side of the tray to still be protected so got to work with the Dremel, sliced it like butter.

I had to wait for the drawers for a few days so just worked on mocking up where the slide would go & working off the external dimensions of the drawers.

When the drawers did arrive it lined up perfect with the top of the tray ridges but the slide unfortunately where the slide had to go in the lower ridges & I thought that was going to be an issue & it was.

I installed the drawers 1st then I did the slide, as soon as I started to just get the bolts snug & thought I should check how slide is working & yep because of the gap between the slide base & the bottom of the tray ridge it started to twist the frame & the slide was not sliding properly.
So had to undo it all & work on some shims.

Rummaged around in my spare bits & found 6 steel round tubes that were exactly the right height so I put the bolts through them between the slide frame & the tray rail.
Did all up snug again & tried the slide & no issues.
Final tighten & was a nice fit

Do you know how hard it is to do up nuts & bolts on your own when your under the car :confused: , man that was the biggest PITA!

On all the bolts I also cut & drilled some steel 4mm thick 100mm long steel bars for structural support on the underside of the tray above the nuts.

Anyway all worked out well, still room on either side for water jerry cans or whatever.

Now I just need to tackle the snorkel which the thought of drilling into the side of my fender with a hole saw is making me a bit nervous.
IMG_20220611_131131178.jpg

IMG_20220611_132727622.jpg

IMG_20220620_153102715.jpg

IMG_20220620_153142196.jpg

Last edited:

Rusty Panels

the thought of drilling into the side of my fender with a hole saw is making me a bit nervous.
I have fitted a couple of snorkels now and although I'm not an expert they both turned out pretty good. Make sure you mark the holes and check and recheck to make sure they're correct. I used a stepping drill bit to start with and a good pair of aviation style tin snips for the holes on the first one which was on my old Hilux. For the one I fitted to the 100 series I used the stepping drill bit to drill the bolt holes and the main air hole then used an air powered nibbler to cut the rest out with. So, I would suggest that if you have a compressor go to Bunnings and pick up a Ryobi nibbler for about $70, you have great control over the cut and they come in handy for other jobs too.

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 17.38.49.png

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 17.39.10.png

Krumpy

Looks great. WRT the snorkel I made a bit of a mess of mine but I’m happier with that than someone else fitting it because I know it’s all well rust proofed painted and sealed.
Its well and good to get someone else to do it but you don’t know what they’ve left exposed underneath there.

Triton14

Looks great. WRT the snorkel I made a bit of a mess of mine but I’m happier with that than someone else fitting it because I know it’s all well rust proofed painted and sealed.
Its well and good to get someone else to do it but you don’t know what they’ve left exposed underneath there.
Yes its the biggest fear factor in getting mods done or actually even basic servicing done these day.

Businesses charging $120hr to do jobs with under or low skilled people passing as fully qualified people........................or people who have very low work ethics.

Its very hard to find genuine people/businesses & when you do the pricing is just ridiculous!

Thats why I prefer to do most things myself where I can with the equipment I have available to me.

I will be doing the snorkel fitting myself, I bet I am more meticulous in how I fit it & can apply more attention to detail than most businesses who just want to shortcut to save on labour hours but still charge you for it.

smitty_r51

Yes its the biggest fear factor in getting mods done or actually even basic servicing done these day.

Businesses charging $120hr to do jobs with under or low skilled people passing as fully qualified people........................or people who have very low work ethics.

Its very hard to find genuine people/businesses & when you do the pricing is just ridiculous!

Thats why I prefer to do most things myself where I can with the equipment I have available to me.

I will be doing the snorkel fitting myself, I bet I am more meticulous in how I fit it & can apply more attention to detail than most businesses who just want to shortcut to save on labour hours but still charge you for it.
Snorkels aren't difficult and you know it is sealed up, you also know how it goes together if you get something that hits the head, breaks the grill and ends up wedged at various stages between inlet and airbox :)

measure twice, take you time and double check all the time.