New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

mikehzz

For someone who constantly rubbishes Landrover, I am amazed at how much time and effort is made to google up information (some good but mostly bad) on them. There must be a real love/hate relationship or more likely a deep down appreciation of how good they really are, despite all the negative hype on the internet.

I don't think posting factual reports of incidents is rubbishing a brand? Sort of shooting the messenger. Drawing conclusions from the negative incidents isn't rubbishing the brand either. I know people who would love to buy the new Defender, happy former and current LR owners, but who are very hesitant to pull the trigger due to what seem to be a lot of silly glitches. It's a lot of cash.

boobook

For someone who constantly rubbishes Landrover, I am amazed at how much time and effort is made to google up information (some good but mostly bad) on them. There must be a real love/hate relationship or more likely a deep down appreciation of how good they really are, despite all the negative hype on the internet.

I just knew you would deliver a personal attack on something, you constantly do it to anyone that doesn't sing the praises. Shees this thread is about Defenders and this is the monthly sales figures. I get this ( along with most 4wd sales figures) in a feed. Part of this thread is how the sales are going. I just post LR figures, and don't post Toyota / VW/ Nissan figures because that is OT.

All I did is post the sales figure facts, with no comment - and you still post personal attacks. You admitted recently that you deliberately troll on this forum. This is obviously just more of that.

Last edited:

smitty_r51

They sent me a text because I had a test drive a few months back to say they now had the new 3l td in for test drives and stock available.

I have also seen the same one driving Canberra three times in 2 weeks and he has been moving and not at the side of the road with the bonnet up... Maybe there is hope for them

discomatt

I saw my first one on the road , it was also moving under its own power down the freeway, looked great but with all the reported issues I will be waiting to see how they pan out.
10 years after the Disco 3 came out the Disco 4 is a fantastic car so lets see if LR can do the same with the Defender

boobook

I saw my first one on the road , it was also moving under its own power down the freeway, looked great but with all the reported issues I will be waiting to see how they pan out.
10 years after the Disco 3 came out the Disco 4 is a fantastic car so lets see if LR can do the same with the Defender

I see them on the road every day or so. There is a very nice one that has a factory looking rear-wheel carrier ( mounted to the rear wheel) and every accessory known to man. It looks bloody great.

Albynsw

I think they look good, I like the fact they don’t look like all the rest but I am not in the market for that type of vehicle and even if I was I would be very wary of all the little glitches
Hopefully they sort it all out but it has been a less than stellar kickoff for them

boobook

"Jaguar Land Rover CEO Thierry Bollore has conceded the company is haemorrhaging more than 100,000 vehicles sales around the world each year due to quality issues."

“The dissatisfaction of our customers was really detrimental to our natural volume," Bollore told Automotive News.

The good news is that he is on the case. Just like his predecessors for the last few years who were obsessed about fixing reliability apparently. o_O

Let's hope he does something about it for his sake. He may not be able to roll out the " Yes we will fix it next year" one more time. Tata is apparently running out of patience with the financial bleeding with big-time cost cutting coming.

He was CEO of Renault before he got fired.

A hallmark of his time as CEO was his worsening relationship with Renault chairman Jean-Dominique Senard and Nissan CEO Hiroto Saikawa. Bolloré was dismissed as CEO of Renault on 11 October 2019.

Last edited:

discomatt

What a bunch of geniuses, who would have thought selling so many cars with so many issues from a brand who are renowned for issues would effect sales. Brilliant minds at work , give them a pay rise

Albynsw

What a bunch of geniuses, who would have thought selling so many cars with so many issues from a brand who are renowned for issues would effect sales. Brilliant minds at work , give them a pay rise

That’s why these guys are on the big bucks :rolleyes: Previously with Renaulto_O

Why don’t these guys get some decent staff, look at Hyundai, they lured the head of design for Audi to run their show and they are kicking it out of the park. And it was all sorted in a relatively short timeframe.
JLR have known about their issues for years and still can’t get a handle on it

It is a shame because they have some good ideas and products but they are poorly executed

boobook

Tata's current strategy seems to be "the staff firing and cost-cutting will continue till the sales and quality improves"

Last edited:

boobook

It is a shame because they have some good ideas and products but they are poorly executed

I still think the New Defender has more going for it than any 4wd for the sort of thing I would use it for. The new long one is nice on paper. It's good that the CEO at least acknowledges the problem. But it would take a massive step change to get it trustworthy as an off-road vehicle. 5 years of a new track record perhaps.

mikehzz

One of their main issues is they don't use gear that's also used across 1000's of cars across different brands. i don't think it was a coincidence that their most reliable period was when they were using Ford parts simply because the engines and gearboxes etc were almost identical to many other common cars around the world and the bugs had been worked out. Even Toyota found out what it's like to go alone when they developed the 2.8 diesel which, I think is only used in Toyota's and the teething issues they had with that. Give any car 4-5 years out in general use and it will sort itself out but you don't want to own the first or second batches of a new model with new parts in it.

boobook

This video is pretty lame, not stressing either vehicle. But it does show the US has Toyota and LR fanbois like us.

It does confirm the touch screen is used for selecting the 4wd modes in the Defender. Something someone on here attacked people for saying some pages back. :rolleyes: It looks like you have to have your hands on the touch screen nearly as much as the steering wheel setting drive modes.

Not much to show good or bad of either vehicle. But it is the battle front of the war zone. LOL

peterfermtech

It does confirm the touch screen is used for selecting the 4wd modes in the Defender.
All I can say is it must have amazing suspension because I have enough trouble using the touch screen whilst parked in the driveway. Maybe it might be easier if you are cack handed or driving from the passenger seat.

McGinnis

This video is pretty lame, not stressing either vehicle. But it does show the US has Toyota and LR fanbois like us.

It does confirm the touch screen is used for selecting the 4wd modes in the Defender. Something someone on here attacked people for saying some pages back. :rolleyes: It looks like you have to have your hands on the touch screen nearly as much as the steering wheel setting drive modes.

Not much to show good or bad of either vehicle. But it is the battle front of the war zone. LOL

Interesting video, thanks for that. I come out of watching that video with a few salient thoughts.

Firstly, I intensely dislike both vehicles. The buttons on the 200 are almost as bad as the touchscreen insanity on the Defender. Press this then this then that... And get an error. Jeeeez just put it in 4L and actually drive the vehicle!

Secondly, typical press vehicle issues. Stock 4wds tend to suck at 4wding. The difference here is upgrading the 200 would be trivial - give it a lift and bigger tyres and it would improve greatly. I'm not sure that would be so easy with the Defender.

Thirdly, the "track" was tamer than most tourist lookout carparks, and the vehicles seemed to be basically at the edge of their factory capabilities.

Gun to my head, if I had to buy one of the two? It'd be the Defender if I didn't plan on straying too far from civilisation and the 200 if I wanted to go remote.

But I'd take any of a dozen 4wds over either of them if I was free to choose.