New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

discomatt

If I won tatts I would buy a v8 defender but the sentence did start with a if and that will never happen so neither will a V8 Defer but then again having LR badging it will be worth half that when 3 years old so then it would be great.
The V8 Disco 3 and 4 are touted as being the best value for money and most reliable Disco's out there with no inherent engine problems unlike the diesels

boobook

You could buy this Defender Matt. Another bargain.

Though considering that Defer has been on the market for 3 - 4 years now, You'd think the price would be negotiable. It even ran out of rego in 2018.

"Tell him he's dreaming"

discomatt

Pass no thank you but that will only go up in value for car collectors, I use cars for what they are built for not showing off down the mall...

boobook

Why would you buy/build a vehicle like that and then try to flog it off after only 11,000 kms?
Either too much money or too big an ego?
I'd say the credit card bill for the conversion finally landed or the reality of a lease on a stupid amount of money kicked in.

callmejoe

That 6x6 toyo is a true Toorak tractor for sure. Why and I mean WHY, I see a "Darwin Award" going out to who ever decided that was a good and viable idea.

Albynsw

Not a fan myself but it is not as useless as it seems, load capacity has been substantially increased with this, I know of some farmers who have done this in basic form........not inkers crawler form like this one though

I think its lost its way over the years, 30 years ago my dad rebuilt a Land Rover Safari, he wasn't a mechanic (he was talented mind).

He stripped it back, bought a brand new chassis, rebuilt it and it ran until his death, probably running still in some new owners hands!

I think the Safari and the like were very early generation and then the next gen came out, we used to have a holiday cottage on a farm and the farmer had a brand new Defender, a proper utility vehicle but i recon at this time, perhaps late 1980's it had changed, this was probably gen 2 land rover or maybe even 3, I dont remember much about it except it went everywhere, it was bashed to bits, the sheep dogs ruled the back and we shot rabbits from the sniper position of the sunroof!

The farmers all had these tasty defenders, all tax deductible so the price was pretty much irrelevant and the Defender turned into this extremely expensive vehicle.

I know a lot of vehicles have done the same, but why do none do the original idea, a super capable ute without all the bloody bells and whistles.

Diahatsu had an amazing little 4x4 you could buy for the price of a pig, I think suzuki did too? A bit too small but still.

I wish instead of this Defender, Land Rover would make a nails version, rugged, aluminum, manual air vents, LWB (rough as guts for troop carrying) and SWB.

Re-badge this as the "Explorer" or a SWB Discovery.

boobook

They have apparently hit the showrooms in the US, so we should start seeing reviews with real reviewers, not hand-picked writers on a junket. I think they will get great reviews.

When looking at a website I found this bargain. Who says LR pricing devalues like a rock?

Hurry, only 72,000 miles on the clock, and marked down from $190,000 USD to only $140,000 USD.

That's AUD $210,000 for a 27 year old, 1993 defender with 115,000km on the clock.

Who said Americans are crazy?

Actually its from a LR dealer, I think it must be a marketing stunt to 'Show' how Landrover Defenders hold their value. Surely they don't expect to really sell it at that price, even if they did mark it down by $80,000 AUD for a quick sale.

Last edited:

G_ute

Plenty of Aussies ready to pay mega bucks for USA pickups, which sell for peanuts at home (and often have a poor reputation)

shanegtr

They have apparently hit the showrooms in the US, so we should start seeing reviews with real reviewers, not hand-picked writers on a junket. I think they will get great reviews.

When looking at a website I found this bargain. Who says LR pricing devalues like a rock?

Hurry, only 72,000 miles on the clock, and marked down from $190,000 USD to only $140,000 USD.

That's AUD $210,000 for a 27 year old, 1993 defender with 115,000km on the clock.

Who said Americans are crazy?

Actually its from a LR dealer, I think it must be a marketing stunt to 'Show' how Landrover Defenders hold their value. Surely they don't expect to really sell it at that price, even if they did mark it down by $80,000 AUD for a quick sale.
From memory the old defender was on sale in the US for only a few years in the mid 90's before sales stopped due to not meeting safety regulations and they can't be imported either. As a result they are very uncommon, hence the crazy $$$

Last edited:

Vesko

Something's wrong with the Australian Land Rover site - it doesn't let me chose diesel engine, as well as 18" rims. Strange.

G_ute

I like the first picture in the video, Big Ben clock converted to digital. Old vs new Defender.

smitty_r51

Something's wrong with the Australian Land Rover site - it doesn't let me chose diesel engine, as well as 18" rims. Strange.
If you read the disclaimer they are having supply issues on the diesel motors with COVID-19... They suggest you contact your dealer for info

looks great
It does, but it is expensive, it is patriot supertourer 79 sort of price range... Mine came out at $128k on the configuration ...lot of coin