New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

smitty_r51

interesting to see a review of someone using one

so mechanically it has been fine, practicality wise it doesn't meet the requirements

Albynsw

I think the price was his main beef?

Yes he seemed to generally quite like it, the things he was winging about were not that big a deal in the scheme of things. He had the car for free for a year I assume to give some positive feedback? Now that it is time to cough up some coin or give it back he is not so keen on the pricepoint

Good to in general though it was a positive review

discomatt

They are expensive...

And when I looked at them there is very little aftermarket kit available for making them a full tourer over here.
It is the sam with most 4wds , I seem to remember the outcry when the Disco 3 was released, all the LR knockers where bagging the aftermarket availability, I have every component on my Disco to make it a great touring 4wd.
well that is assuming the crank stays as a single piece …

boobook

The Land Rover accessoriy market hasn't been completely ignored.

1663015469276.png

1663015649375.png

shanegtr

The Land Rover accessoriy market hasn't been completely ignored.

View attachment 74344
I know most of the luxury vehicles on the market (BMW, Merc, Audi, LR etc...) have lots and lots of expensive accessories/options. But the number of times I've driven past our local vet and seen mainstream cars using a ramp to load or unload their old dog is huge - although most of them are probably just something cheap the owners have picked up from Bunnings or the like and not some overpriced option. I did just have a quick look on the LR website to see if I could find how overpriced it is, but I can no longer find the ramp as an option for either Defender, Disco or Range Rover sport

boobook

I know most of the luxury vehicles on the market (BMW, Merc, Audi, LR etc...) have lots and lots of expensive accessories/options. But the number of times I've driven past our local vet and seen mainstream cars using a ramp to load or unload their old dog is huge - although most of them are probably just something cheap the owners have picked up from Bunnings or the like and not some overpriced option. I did just have a quick look on the LR website to see if I could find how overpriced it is, but I can no longer find the ramp as an option for either Defender, Disco or Range Rover sport
The dog accessoriees start with a dog water bowel and quilted mat for $502, to LR the full ramp pet pack for $2963 ( which include a portable rinse system to wash dog shit and piss out of the back of your LR).

The Dog ramp is USD $546 so about $880 Aud

You can pay $3000 for the doggy pack but a bull bar or rear bar are not available. Give it time, the after market supliers have only had 3 years to think about it as of next week. Mind you, less defenders have been sold in Australia in that time, than a hilux in the last 1 month or a Ford Ranger in 6 weeks. I think the industry needs quite a bit more thinking music. Especially if you consider hardley any go outside Toorak or the Yarra Valley Wineries. Maybe a wine carry value pack would sell.

Last edited:

Albynsw

I have seen a Defender at the local park with his doggie ramp all set up so people are buying them
I have no issues with then providing those type of accessories and as @shanegtr pointed out the other makes do likewise

I like to poke fun at LR thought on the basis that they pretend to be something that they are not and that is a no nonsense 4WD. They like to sell the dream but it is really a marketing stunt aimed at a selective audience

boobook

This says a lot about where LR thinks its customer base is coming from. I'm surprised LR even admits their plans on this. It explains them hiring a handbag and jewelery retailer as their MD in Australia.

Land Rover is set to target new customers, those who are “younger, image aware, well-connected, interested in social media, and wanting an emotional connection with vehicles,” according to Design Director Gerry McGovern.

mikehzz

......“younger, image aware, well-connected, interested in social media, and wanting an emotional connection with vehicles,”.......

No boxes ticked at all in that lot for me. :) I'm an ex Land Rover owner as well. Land Rover potential customer questionaire....are you a dickhead with money? According to our market research, we've got just the car you'll like. :)

boobook

You actually have to hand it to LR's marketing department.

They drop the only real decent model they had - the original defender, completely abandon their entire customer base - real 4wd market customers, and live for years off the image of it, then withdraw to wealthy city customers that dream of camping but would never do it, and put up the average sales price by $50K to $200K for something that could never live up to the dream anyway. They don't even need an extensive dealer network outside a few wealthy suburbs, and the rich owners have another vehicle or two to drive when the cars are in the repair shop for days on end, so reliability is not on the top of the owner's mind.

Sheer brilliance IMHO. Talk about making the most out of some major weaknesses

If you want proof, go into a dealer and look at all the 'beautiful people' buying and selling at the dealer or their brand ambassador socialite young models on social media. "Connected individuals"

1663455898739.png

Rebecca Judd dances with excitement - Land Rover Brand Ambassidor

Hang on. Not so rosey... Maybe they went overboard on targeting dickhead customers. @mikehzz LOL

1663456075715.png

Oh dear! Rebecca Judd had to spend $50,000 'knocking down' a column in the garage of her Melbourne home because her Range Rover couldn't fit inside.

Last edited:

mikehzz

You actually have to hand it to LR's marketing department.

They drop the only real decent model they had - the original defender, completely abandon their entire customer base - real 4wd market customers, and live for years off the image of it, then withdraw to wealthy city customers that dream of camping but would never do it, and put up the average sales price by $50K to $200K for something that could never live up to the dream anyway. They don't even need an extensive dealer network outside a few wealthy suburbs, and the rich owners have another vehicle or two to drive when the cars are in the repair shop for days on end, so reliability is not on the top of the owner's mind.

Sheer brilliance IMHO. Talk about making the most out of some major weaknesses

If you want proof, go into a dealer and look at all the 'beautiful people' buying and selling at the dealer or their brand ambassador socialite young models on social media. "Connected individuals"

View attachment 74358
Rebecca Judd dances with excitement - Land Rover Brand Ambassidor

Hang on. Not so rosey... Maybe they went overboard on targeting dickhead customers. @mikehzz LOL

View attachment 74359

Oh dear! Rebecca Judd had to spend $50,000 'knocking down' a column in the garage of her Melbourne home because her Range Rover couldn't fit inside.
To be fair, the home only cost a reported $7 million before the initial renovations, so how would you expect a Range Rover to fit into it?

To be honest, good on her, she's very attractive and very smart. Well played you'd have to say.

Albynsw

No boxes ticked at all in that lot for me. :) I'm an ex Land Rover owner as well. Land Rover potential customer questionaire....are you a dickhead with money? According to our market research, we've got just the car you'll like. :)

If they split that up into two questions and I am being honest with myself I could at least tick one of the boxes :rolleyes: