New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

discomatt

Matt you do know the locals outback question your sexuality when you rock up in a Disco :p :p :p
Yes I know but then they learn where I have been, where I am going and just how comfortable and capable it is in comparison to the alternatives and soon crawl back into their shed to finish there latest mods to make their 4wd almost as good ;)

discomatt

Just shows how good the TC is in modern 4wds, those who say lockers are better might have a bit of a rethink.
Anyone who wants to take a 200 to the next Earth gathering I am more than happy, in fact would love to do the same test to see what would happen

boobook

The ONLY 3 things those videos show is how good the tyres are relative to each other, how little they know about 4wds, and how small the guys cocks are.

They prove nothing else, and are stupid wastes of time.

A (insert any 4wd model here) with mud tyres on small rims with low pressures would eat any of those overpriced wank mobiles with unusable rims and tyres.

dirvine

Trouble is(insert any 4wd other than defender) they dont come standard with small rims with big muddies. Thats why the defender would leave them for dead straight off the show room floor. Kust like all lr products.

discomatt

The ONLY 3 things those videos show is how good the tyres are relative to each other, how little they know about 4wds, and how small the guys cocks are.

They prove nothing else, and are stupid wastes of time.

A (insert any 4wd model here) with mud tyres on small rims with low pressures would eat any of those overpriced wank mobiles with unusable rims and tyres.
So you don't think it shows any traction control ability? Just a wank show? I thought a Toyota lover would think that :p
So I take it you wont do a tug of war , your 200 with my D4, I will even take of the AT's and put the 19's on if that will sway you;)
Come on mate I know you are curious
EDIT : we can do it on a grass surface so you don't need to worry about any dust, BAHAHAHAHA

boobook

So you don't think it shows any traction control ability? Just a wank show? I thought a Toyota lover would think that :p
So I take it you wont do a tug of war , your 200 with my D4, I will even take of the AT's and put the 19's on if that will sway you;)
EDIT : we can do it on a grass surface so you don't need to worry about any dust, BAHAHAHAHA

Sorry Matt, you won't see me getting involved in one of those 'pony shows'. It's not my style.

Away from 4x4 earth, I am happy with my 4wd, it does what I ask of it, it has even towed a Discovery all the way up out of Mayford's steep part in the pouring rain because it could not get up the hill. I drove up, towing his 2.5 tonnes, ( that driver had AT, I had MT), it has continued on trips when Rangies a)got crippled in the first day due to stupid tyres, b)stopped for fuel at Bright on the first Friday night of a long weekend trip then would not start again. It has never let me down. It's reliable, dependable and I am completely satisfied that it's the right choice for me - even though I do dream of one day having an old defender again and do look at the new defender in lust.

As to the traction control, it works well enough that I do not need diff locks, with the possible exception of towing over sand dunes. It even has a Torsen centre diff.

I have seen enough to know that I have a 4x4 that performs well, and suits me. I don't need to have a tug of war thanks. I've seen enough. LOL.

Last edited:

boobook

Here is a Landrover and a RR having a tug of war against air. And losing. The RR is even a Land Rover Experience vehicle.

What does it go to show? a 1 horsepower Defender driven by someone that knows what they are doing and the right tyres will beat $350K worth of high tech useless 4wds that don't and even can't have appropriate tyres and driven by idiots. I'll bet they couldn't wipe the smile off the Defer owner for days.

All that money on a Range Rover and Disco and they can't even get to the Polo match. ;)

Gotta love that 'proven better than any other brand traction control' That others on the forum talk about.

Last edited:

Albynsw

I have a couple of ATV’s for around the property. They make a 1000cc and a 500cc version that are basically identical except for horsepower ( I have the 1000cc because they are more fun lol)
The rep told me the dairy farmers favour the 500cc model as they are lighter and don’t bog down in the mud as much.
These things go anywhere and there is no way I can get my twin locked cruiser on muddies where they go. Likewise on steep terrain they recommend a max of 60hp tractor as again the power to weight for traction is at its optimum

The point I am making is there are so many variables involved that a tug of war comparison means nothing, change the terrain they are on and the outcome will change

boobook

5 liter V8 Landrover defender spy shots. So who is up for a $350,000 defender?

The strange part is that according to the articles, the 5l engine is the same as the RR and is made by Ford who is stopping production in Sept. Land Rover will buy a stockpile of engines. Surely that isn't right.

Note the price in the articles says over 100 K pounds, as a comparison a $80K pounds 7 series BMW costs about $275K AUD here. o_O

edit. Corrected pricing.

dno67

Not sure l can live without one.. lol

When looking at the price of vehicles, a lot of people fail to understand the tax benifits leasing and expensive vehicle provide.
Very little to do with the vehicles capabilities, more a badge of honor, look at me item.
Not something most of us peasants have to worry about, but there's a % or vehicle's sold for no other reason than tax benifits..

boobook