New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

discomatt

Get one Matt, you could trade both your cars in ( maybe tip in an extra 80k cash lol ) and get one vehicle to do both jobs
Not bloody likely, I am not getting rid of the Disco 1 until it dies because its to much fun in the bush and still reliabe and not getting rid of the Disco 4 until it becomes unreliable, who knows how long that will be.
As far as the new Defer, I won't even consider one untill it has proven itself in the reliability stacks the same as the Disco 4 has and that will take at least 4 years

Spooner

For such an Expensive Premium 4x4 why should you need to buy a $3,000 roof rack just to fit a spare wheel & tyre on ?

boobook

For such an Expensive Premium 4x4 why should you need to buy a $3,000 roof rack just to fit a spare wheel & tyre on ?
.......When you could spend $5000 for a Kaymar rear bar to do the same thing.

What alternatives are you suggesting for the second spare Spooner?

discomatt

.......When you could spend $5000 for a Kaymar rear bar to do the same thing.

What alternatives are you suggesting for the second spare Spooner?
I don't think people who buy new Land Rovers worry to much about spending a measly 3000 on anything...

dirvine

You dont loose anything via depreciation. In accounting terms, the purchase price of an asset is a "sunk" cost. You can usually never get it back. Depreciation is an expense and as such reduces the tax paid on excess income less expenses. I dont care what mine cost. Its so superior to the 76 I bought at the same time, the "cost" as you call it is well worth it. Try driving 1000ks in a day in a 76. Then do it in a Disco. I know how I feel at the end of the day. I bet the Defer will be the same.

dirvine

You dont "smooth out the books" Depreciation is not sandpaper. It is trying to align the purchase price of the assets useful life and asigne that cost to the business .Then when you sell/trade in the asset you adjust the amount of depreciation to reflect the trade or sold price, either making a profit or loss on disposal. If you dont sell it then there is no loss other than a sunk (initial) cost. And if you own LR the write off is quicker so a bigger tax deduction and therefore less tax paid to a government that knows how to spend and waste money. (if you have a business of course). People buy assets and brands for a variety of reasons, but other than Toyota owners I dont know anybody who just buys a new asset for its resale value. Maybe 2nd hand cars, Vintage items etc but they are not new. Most buy because it will add value to the business, or it is the best "fit for purpose" available, or they think a cheaper asset will do as good a job as a more expensive one. Some people just buy for brand, and thats really stupid, as they never consider what else is around. (tell me my partner has had Mazdas since she was 18, and drags the GM of the dealer out to sell it to her as he sold her her 1st car). Cannot even get her to look at anything else

Albynsw

You dont loose anything via depreciation. In accounting terms, the purchase price of an asset is a "sunk" cost. You can usually never get it back. Depreciation is an expense and as such reduces the tax paid on excess income less expenses. I dont care what mine cost. Its so superior to the 76 I bought at the same time, the "cost" as you call it is well worth it. Try driving 1000ks in a day in a 76. Then do it in a Disco. I know how I feel at the end of the day. I bet the Defer will be the same.
You can use whatever terminology you like and it is only a taxable depreciation for a select few and even then it is still money out of your pocket just not as much if you can share the cost with the ATO

I agree with you about being a pleasure to drive but regardless it will cost you a big chunk of money over its ownership

Interestingly I was talking with my wife about what vehicle we will use to do the big lap in and suggested I cut up a 200 into a ute and she said she would rather take the 79.

discomatt

Interestingly I was talking with my wife about what vehicle we will use to do the big lap in and suggested I cut up a 200 into a ute and she said she would rather take the 79.
So you are obviously taking a looooong time to do the lap, I couldn't imagine spending anything more than about 4-500km/day in a tin can with a noisy exhaust rolling down the road , unless like everyone with a 70 series you have done more mods than you can remember

dno67

I worked for a stupid wealthy immigrant years ago Eg ( bloke offers him 30mil for a property infront of me, and his relpy was. Is that a deposit ?) Anyway, he always purchased as cheap as possible outright when buying new quarry equipment, his reasoning being l only need it to last the warranty period. Anything after that was a bonus. The savings over buying a dear known brand were used or invested over the same or longer period. His reasons being, why make a financial institution wealthy.
His biggest problem was not growing his bissisness while trying to minimise his tax.
Miss the miserable old bugger, as he was great to talk with.

Albynsw

So you are obviously taking a looooong time to do the lap, I couldn't imagine spending anything more than about 4-500km/day in a tin can with a noisy exhaust rolling down the road , unless like everyone with a 70 series you have done more mods than you can remember
Matt you obviously haven’t had the pleasure of driving a noisy tin can with one cup holder :p Seriously though, I guess it must be like owning an old Landy, you know they have all their shortcomings but they put a smile on your face when driving particularly when outback

Matt you do know the locals outback question your sexuality when you rock up in a Disco :p :p :p :p

mikehzz

You can use whatever terminology you like and it is only a taxable depreciation for a select few and even then it is still money out of your pocket just not as much if you can share the cost with the ATO

I agree with you about being a pleasure to drive but regardless it will cost you a big chunk of money over its ownership

She sounds like a keeper. :)