New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

CaptainBanana

The thing is lifting Wheels almost on Pebbles. They have spaced the crossmember out so the body is higher off the ground but all of those massive suspension arms are still dragging everywhere.

Although not looking like an issue in this video I wonder what a 35 inch tire does for the traction control on modern vehicles as the wheel speed is very very slow relative to a stock tire which means the traction control is not working at the same expected range as it would normally be. Most modern traction systems rely on differential speed on individual Wheels to work out what to brake.

boobook

The thing is lifting Wheels almost on Pebbles. They have spaced the crossmember out so the body is higher off the ground but all of those massive suspension arms are still dragging everywhere.

Although not looking like an issue in this video I wonder what a 35 inch tire does for the traction control on modern vehicles as the wheel speed is very very slow relative to a stock tire which means the traction control is not working at the same expected range as it would normally be. Most modern traction systems rely on differential speed on individual Wheels to work out what to brake.
It's amazing what you can do to modify a 4wd in the US. You see massive tyres on 6 - 8" lifts everywhere, especially in the south.

I'd be very surprised if you could do those mods in Australia, or if would even work with the electronics. Also, the 'pre flight' touch screen configuration of the 4wd modes takes so long. It looks overly complicated to get it in 4wd. Touch screens with multiple screens and scrolling down are not the right interface for this stuff. Fancy looking, but non functional.

CaptainBanana

It's amazing what you can do to modify a 4wd in the US. You see massive tyres on 6 - 8" lifts everywhere, especially in the south.

I'd be very surprised if you could do those mods in Australia, or if would even work with the electronics. Also, the 'pre flight' touch screen configuration of the 4wd modes takes so long. It looks overly complicated to get it in 4wd. Touch screens with multiple screens and scrolling down are not the right interface for this stuff. Fancy looking, but non functional.

Most US states are open for anything. My model Jeep has off the shelf componentry for 8-10 inch lifts plus conversions for truck diffs and so on. Over here legally I can run a 31.5 inch tyre or risk heavy fines, voided insurance and public liability leading to potential imprisonment lol. I like their way better.

boobook

So the new Defendar has been out for a year. And according to VFacts Sold a massive 620 cars.

We're 58 pages into this thread.

Has anyone bought one?
Anyone seen one off road?
Anyone driven one?

Last edited:

linuxfan66

Most US states are open for anything. My model Jeep has off the shelf componentry for 8-10 inch lifts plus conversions for truck diffs and so on. Over here legally I can run a 31.5 inch tyre or risk heavy fines, voided insurance and public liability leading to potential imprisonment lol. I like their way better.
you can however get away with quite a bit if you have an engineer prove its safe and roadworthy. its just not cheap. see the mega 6x6 cruiser. only reason he didnt put 37(or was it 40s) because it would become a MR truck. He got everything he wanted varely easily engineered to be legal.

CaptainBanana

So the new Defendar has been out for a year. And according to Victoria Sold a massive 620 cars.

Has anyone bought one?

After the hammering here by so many members and the embarrassing attempts at defending it by existing Land Rover owners I'm not sure anyone would actually own up to having bought one.
you can however get away with quite a bit if you have an engineer prove its safe and roadworthy. its just not cheap. see the mega 6x6 cruiser. only reason he didnt put 37(or was it 40s) because it would become a MR truck. He got everything he wanted varely easily engineered to be legal.

I know - but for the quarter of a million dollars it cost he could have actually bought a truck, nothing is cheap in Australia.

linuxfan66

After the hammering here by so many members and the embarrassing attempts at defending it by existing Land Rover owners I'm not sure anyone would actually own up to having bought one.

I know - but for the quarter of a million dollars it cost he could have actually bought a truck, nothing is cheap in Australia.
that is fair you could buy an unimog or isuzu full sized truck for the money. but that wouldnt get you portal axles or super heavy duty lockers or any other expensive mod cons you would need to add to match its raw capabilities

Baggs71

So the new Defendar has been out for a year. And according to VFacts Sold a massive 620 cars.

We're 58 pages into this thread.

Has anyone bought one?
Anyone seen one off road?
Anyone driven one?
i have not seen one anywhere in sa bush or carparks

CaptainBanana

Quite a few of them making their way to the Mornington Peninsula every weekend, I mean the Peninsula Freeway is pretty rubbish especially once you get down toward Rosebud, about as off-road as you'll ever see one I reckon.

discomatt

There are a few on Aulro that have them and so far are happy with no issues, that probably wont last long...
There are a lot who have been put off by the long weight to actually get one, only 40 a month being shipped to Australia with the bulk of supply going to USA.
I guess because the rest of the world still has the sniffles production is affected but the anti LR sentiment is strong in Aus so even IF it was a good car not many would sell, much like the cruiser in the US I guess

linuxfan66

There are a few on Aulro that have them and so far are happy with no issues, that probably wont last long...
There are a lot who have been put off by the long weight to actually get one, only 40 a month being shipped to Australia with the bulk of supply going to USA.
I guess because the rest of the world still has the sniffles production is affected but the anti LR sentiment is strong in Aus so even IF it was a good car not many would sell, much like the cruiser in the US I guess
any clue what percentage of them are ending up in europe?

Albynsw

Matt I think they limit the amount that come to Australia because we don’t have the tow truck infrastructure to support them :p

dirvine

I have been in/driven 1 and seen 2 in the High Country when away with the 4WD club I belong to. In comparing them to my D4, they are more comfortable, and more capable, Or is that they feel more capable. I drove one up Billy Goats, and then repeated the same track in my D4, which had better rubber on it than the Defender. I know which I liked better... and it was not the D4 which had better tyres more suited to the terrain. Neither owner has had any issues/recalls etc both purchased before Christmas 2020 and both basically stock with same tyres etc as showroom. Both did a 2 Day 4wd course with JLA who brought out a UK expert to show them how to do everything. Both of these owners are certified trainers for JLA for new Landrover owners. It was something that I also had when I purchased my car albeit was a one day course. I am unaware that any other brand of 4wd offers new car owners of 4WD's a training course on how to get the best out of your vehicle and also how to use all the electronic gadgetry properly and effectively. I have watched most (all) of the videos posted on this thread. I sometimes wonder if the people are deliberatly trying to find fault just to make it interesting or really do not understand how to set the car up properly before proceeding and then come unstuck because of their basic ignorance. I had no issues at all. The electronics were all explained, set and locked in before I started driving, and the car just climbed the track with ease. In fact it was almost boring it did it so easily. Just like a lot on here seem to like to keep on bashing the LR brand, mine does not leak oil, my Fathers 2 RR did not oil, have never been towed or flat bedded out of anywhere, yet people on this forum still seem to think they drop oil, and spend most time on flat beds being towed to get fixed.

I dont think they will become Mums soccer cars and in fact where I live, I have only ever seen 1 driving around, Most wealthy people prefer the Rangie for whatever reason.

Albynsw

@dirvine Good to hear a first hand positive report and comparison to a D4
Porsche offer a free 4WD training day with their Cayennes etc. Not sure why as they never venture off-road

boobook

There are a lot who have been put off by the long weight to actually get one, only 40 a month being shipped to Australia
I didn't realise the sales were that bad lately. o_O

If LR is only bringing in 40 a month they must be selling almost zero Defenders these days.

There are 11 pages of new or Demo ones in stock on the LR Australia website available for delivery right now. There are 5 - 6 brand new ones sitting in a yard at Brighton LR if anyone wants one.

Last edited:

discomatt

Do you seriously though no defender buyers want a demo? New LR buyers spec heir new car to exactly what it hey want, not just settle for a ex demo

boobook

Do you seriously though no defender buyers want a demo? New LR buyers spec heir new car to exactly what it hey want, not just settle for a ex demo
Take a look at the demo ones. Some have 10 km on the clock. It's a trick dealers use to keep sales figures up. Register them, call em demo and sell em as second-hand with a discount. But anyway they ARE for sale. Here are the 7 pages of new ones - excluding demo ones. Immediate availability.

It is very different from the situation where buyers cant get them because of a long wait.