New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

boobook

Well that was 20 mins ill never get back.

The only 2 new takeaways for me are

1. Thank God defenders have a rev limiter at about 8000 rpm
2. The isuzu was the only one that walked up most times. It was miles ahead.

boobook

That did it better than any of them, didn’t have to hit it hard and risk breaking something. Don’t think it was very stock though, do they come with lockers?
Having its wheels on the ground a lot definitely helped. :rolleyes:

But the traction control was way more effective. It didn't look locked to me, there were places where wheels were at different speeds.

peterfermtech

That did it better than any of them, didn’t have to hit it hard and risk breaking something. Don’t think it was very stock though, do they come with lockers?
Having its wheels on the ground a lot definitely helped. :rolleyes:

But the traction control was way more effective. It didn't look locked to me, there were places where wheels were at different speeds.
I think in S.A. they come optioned with rear locker. Not sure else where. I reckon it is standard suspension because it seemed soft and pretty well stuck to the track. I must say it was a surprise not that it did it but how well it did it do it compared to the other more highly credentialed and expensive vehicles.

mikehzz

The Defender and the zu were driven completely different to the other cars. Most of the cars were smashed into the hill causing the fronts to jump up letting the rears dig holes. The Defender tried to crawl up slowly with the guy stabbing the pedal and letting all momentum die, he must have stopped completely 5 times on purpose then trying to start again in loose sand. The zu driver knew how to drive, he kept momentum without smashing it too hard and kept the wheels on the ground. That was a driver test not a car test.

Albynsw

Agree @mikehzz but more so I think it shows the benefits of articulation and having 4 wheels on the ground when in terrain with poor traction.
Only having two or three wheels on the ground and a traction aid that requires it to slip before it will engage promotes the stop start momentum compared to how well the Isuzu just maintains momentum and traction

The other vehicles were copping a flogging

The other thing when the Defender was having clearance issues earlier it looked like they didn’t have the suspension wound up?

mikehzz

Agree @mikehzz but more so I think it shows the benefits of articulation and having 4 wheels on the ground when in terrain with poor traction.
Only having two or three wheels on the ground and a traction aid that requires it to slip before it will engage promotes the stop start momentum compared to how well the Isuzu just maintains momentum and traction

The other vehicles were copping a flogging

The other thing when the Defender was having clearance issues earlier it looked like they didn’t have the suspension wound up?
Very true, no question, but the LR traction control does work very well if driven properly. Do it right and the wheel slips barely a quarter turn max. Stabbing, smashing and jabbing isn't how to do it. Any driver can make a car look bad, but a good driver can make an ordinary car look great.

discomatt

So not a great tow vehicle, less overall capacity than the Disco 4, not that anyone with a sane mind would put 3.5 ton behind any other standard 4wd plus 5 people and think it was OK. I guess at the end of it all that is where other 4wds are better because you can buy it then throw a substantial amount away and get upgrades rather than leaving it as built by the manufacturer.

boobook

It is a bit of surprise that after 2 weeks of questions, and getting the JLR Australia CEO involved, he could not get 3 Land Rover representatives to agree on what the right downweight is, and a straight answer on its tow ball capacity. In the end, it is still not clear. The CEO made a captains call, and redefined electric brakes as an overrun brake which surprised a guy from the leading towing components company that supplies this stuff.

Also strange that they quote weight and load sepcifications on the Australian website that don't even relate to the Australian models, and would make you go overweight by a considerable amount. 180kg of error all up is a hell of a lot, though it did include a couple of accessories like seat upgrades.

I guess the reliability parts of the video go without saying by now. In fact he said I'm not going to get into the reliability then spent the next 10 mins on the electrical problems. LOL

Albynsw

They have integrated some really nice features and options into the vehicle but then on the other hand frustrate the hell out of the owner with other idiosyncrasies

The things that stick in my mind is issues as simple as a flat battery become a week without a vehicle while it is at the dealers trying to work out what is going on, and that is from a scenario of an owner being in a capital city with a local dealer available.
Imagine the outcome if that played out while you were in a more remote region of Australia and a bit more of a serious issue at hand. You are taking the family on an extended school holiday vacation and it can all turn to shite very quickly.

I haven’t heard any of those pommie guys winging still, have they in general ironed out the bugs a bit and they are starting to settle down?
I am seeing them on the road more frequently of late

boobook

I haven’t heard any of those pommie guys winging still, have they in general ironed out the bugs a bit and they are starting to settle down?
I am seeing them on the road more frequently of late
Land Rover started filling youtube with customer delivery videos around the time of the last TFL video. It was like they sent out a message to all dealers to fill youtube with happy owner delivery stories. It completely drowned out any other Defender videos on my feeds so I had to turn them off. Plus when I did post them I got attacked anyway, so I gave up looking. LOL.

I think they have sorted a lot of problems but things like 8 Amp parasitic current draw and for the Landrover roadside assistance van to turn up and say they don't carry those batteries and saying he had to go to the dealer is a bit underwhelming, especially when it took them a week to not fix anything - though LR isn't alone in that regard.

Albynsw

I think they have sorted a lot of problems but things like 8 Amp parasitic current draw and for the Landrover roadside assistance van to turn up and say they don't carry those batteries and saying he had to go to the dealer is a bit underwhelming, especially when it took them a week to not fix anything - though LR isn't alone in that regard.
Those sort of experiences from any manufacturer can make you lose confidence in your vehicle

boobook

March Sales

Land Rover Defender – 113
Land Rover Discovery – 16
Land Rover Discovery Sport – 60
Land Rover Range Rover – 30
Land Rover Range Rover Evoque – 162
Land Rover Range Rover Sport – 181
Land Rover Range Rover Velar – 38
Land Rover total – 600

The tally of 100,005 new cars reported as sold across Australia in March 2021 represented a 22.4 per cent increase compared to the same month last year, when the pandemic started to hit. Car Sales have risen for the 5th month in a row.

Last edited:

discomatt

Car sales are up because people are spending to either reduce tax, make themselves feel better after a very difficult year or spending the overseas holiday cash. No surprise really.
Just as well LR sell cars in other countries and not just in Toyota worshiping Australia :p
Seriously though it makes you wonder how long the company will be around with such low sales figures but thats no surprise given their reliability issues have got considerably worse since Ford sold the company.
LR factory warranty has just gone from 3 years and 200,000km to 5 years unlimited so it will be interesting to see if that improves sales and reliability or sends them to the wall even quicker with massive warranty costs.

boobook

Actually, the Rangies seem to be selling really well, especially when you consider they are $200- 400K each. Lots of juicy profit.

I would not be surprised if LR didn't even care that Disco sales are falling off the edge of the earth, and Defenders are barely selling.

They just need to have the Defender in the line up so they can sell the dream of off-roading to Toorak people. Defender sales volumes don't matter.

No country dealers
No off road tyre choices
No suspension travel
No reliability in the bush
...........No worries. RR owners don't need any of that stuff anyway.

It's a brilliant way to make the most of what they have, dealers in wealthy suburbs and cached up customers who want a 2nd or 3rd car.