New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

boobook

Interesting comparison, even though these are really for different markets, with the Defender being 35% more.

A lot of expected results... A lot...

Summary
Prado is less featured, older design, cheaper plastic interior.
Defender is more refined, great design, handles better at high-speed 0ver 140kmph and nicer overall with lots of USB outlets.

Also the usual type of problems. I think the Defender is built on Windows ME. The screen freezes as usual but this time the windows won't even open or close. But Land Rover said they have a software update to fix that. Pity people can't get the software upgrades to work. Pretty basic stuff.

o_O o_O o_O

His summary, the Defender is nicer to drive and great to look at, liked by females, but the Prado a better choice for off-road reliability. While he was Laughing he said "you will just have less headaches in the Prado". But the Defender is a better everyday road car.

discomatt

Or to sum up, Prado is old, cheap plastics, basically a horrible car but reliable, the Defender craps all over it in every respect and would be much better to live with on a daily basis as soon as they fix all the software.
Like when the Disco 3 came out all over again, LR then produced the Disco 4 which is as reliable as any other 4wd but much better to drive, maybe they can do the same and fix the issues with the Defenders software and then it will be outstanding

Grinbot

Cabin plastics always seem to be a big deal in car reviews... bring on the plastic I say. Last thing I want is some sort of textured material that is just going to get filthy or damaged.

And I wish vinyl floor coverings was an option when I bought my Prado.

I really like the new Disco, but I don't think I'd ever buy one.

boobook

Cabin plastics always seem to be a big deal in car reviews... bring on the plastic I say. Last thing I want is some sort of textured material that is just going to get filthy or damaged.

And I wish vinyl floor coverings was an option when I bought my Prado.

I really like the new Disco, but I don't think I'd ever buy one.

Most car reviews are the same, they focus on the gloss, cause it's what sells articles and gets them closer to manufacturers. But Journo's hand their cars back in a couple of days. Owners on the other hand are stuck with a $100K outlay, and the reality of trusting, owning and maintaining a 4wd over several years.

What good is a 4wd of the year, regardless of brands if it is too unreliable to take off the bitumen and cost a damm fortune to own. They should have a "Look at me drive around Toorak and occasional light trails" category to match the criteria they use for some awards.

CaptainBanana

I was following a disco 4 into the city earlier this week with one of those four-wheel drive of the year stickers they so proudly plaster on the back of all the windows to distract you from the most unreliable 4WD of the Year Awards, and it looks like it has an address where they have made their own websites just for those awards.... I thought it was quite interesting because the driver's side tail light had the lower 25% full of water and the whole thing was full of condensation.... oh what a feeling

Albynsw

There is no denying that the interior of a Landrover is going to be superior to a Toyota or any of the other steak and eggs brands, they are a beautifully finished and appointed vehicles
It all comes down to fit for purpose for your particular requirements. For some, reliability and access to a dealer network are more important

boobook

There is no denying that the interior of a Landrover is going to be superior to a Toyota or any of the other steak and eggs brands, they are a beautifully finished and appointed vehicles
It all comes down to fit for purpose for your particular requirements. For some, reliability and access to a dealer network are more important

Absolutely, the interior is brilliant. Comfortable, spacious and very practical. Miles ahead of my 200. '4wd interior of the decade' LOL. Most SUV style 4wd's are an adaption of a car interior design. Whereas Land rover really did start from scratch and come up with what looks like a really good, specific design for 4wding. The problem is that my sofa at home is also more comfortable. But I'd never take that off-road either. I could not rely on it to make it anywhere and get back home.

CaptainBanana

LOL, zero suspension travel, actually it's impossible to keep all castors planted on the ground if there is the slightest bump. Hmm, sounds familiar. :rolleyes:

That's a bit unfair mate, the defender does have plenty of suspension travel as long as you don't ask it to compress on diagonally opposite axles. For example if you drive over big speed humps or large undulations at the soccer ground or if you're flexing over a gutter in your local supermarket it's plenty adequate.

boobook

"Dealer" Is that the bloke that changes my oil for me or the other bloke that checks my tyres?

It could be the guy who downloads the new version of software every few weeks cause the ECU light is on, the touch screen is broken again or the windows won't open. He can also cut your winch wiring loom. :D

peterfermtech

It could be the guy who downloads the new version of software every few weeks cause the ECU light is on, the touch screen is broken again or the windows won't open. He can also cut your winch wiring loom. :D
I rang the oil bloke and asked him if he did those things. He just told me that as he hasn't seen me in 12 months I need to come and get the oil changed.
I'm pretty sure I don't have one of those guys. Do I need one to go four wheel driving?

mikehzz

To be fair i haven't heard any stories on the new defender leaking oil...so they might have fixed that issue
None of them are run in yet, give them a chance. I think you need to expect to travel at least 5000kms before that will start and it seems they can't stay away from the dealer long enough to get any distance under their belt. :)

boobook

None of them are run in yet, give them a chance. I think you need to expect to travel at least 5000kms before that will start and it seems they can't stay away from the dealer long enough to get any distance under their belt. :)

Land Rover will fix oil leaks with another software update, trouble is nobody will ever figure out how to install it. :)

Last edited:

a1bert

Oh no, I am going to puke, Discovery rated as the safest off road vehicle over $35,000.00 hope that is a typo that should read over $135,000.00 o_O