New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

discomatt

Yep they do have the crank issue, not oil dilution but no one really can quantify what or why, some say prolong service intervals, some say incorrect assembly some say design. Interesting though that Ford use the same engine in their new American trucks with a revised design. My mechanic says he has never seen one fail that hasn'y been cooked , neglected or run out to full service intervals. This aspect of D4 ownership is the only thing that makes me slightly nervous
As for comments of over 2 break downs every year what a load of bollocks, that implies every issue is a stopped car that requires towing, a blown glob or cup holder that will not open is a fault on all those reliability surveys.
According to some of the comments you see and the reports from other owners it must be safe to assume either I am a delusional and pathological liar OR LR built my cars just for me and made sure they were perfect, neither is the case

CaptainBanana

Yep they do have the crank issue, not oil dilution but no one really can quantify what or why, some say prolong service intervals, some say incorrect assembly some say design. Interesting though that Ford use the same engine in their new American trucks with a revised design. My mechanic says he has never seen one fail that hasn'y been cooked , neglected or run out to full service intervals. This aspect of D4 ownership is the only thing that makes me slightly nervous
As for comments of over 2 break downs every year what a load of bollocks, that implies every issue is a stopped car that requires towing, a blown glob or cup holder that will not open is a fault on all those reliability surveys.
According to some of the comments you see and the reports from other owners it must be safe to assume either I am a delusional and pathological liar OR LR built my cars just for me and made sure they were perfect, neither is the case

Well actually that's 2.2 per 100 vehicles sold the actual fact is that some cars could be breaking down 5 or 10 times a year while others gets by, is that better? Nah still the most unreliable cars on the road according to every owner survey in every country I've seen one done in . Being cool is not enough reason to buy very expensive lemons.

Albynsw

An interesting point to note on that JD Power list is you have a company like Hyundai/ Kia who are relative newcomers in the industry and manufacturing in what is generally considered the “cheap” part of the planet coming in in the top 10 easily outperforming many of the big brands that have been around since the early years of motoring.

mikehzz

I've had a Kia run around for 5 years and it's been faultless. If only they made them to be a bit smoother and a bit quieter inside....and with a low range box of course.

CaptainBanana

It's pretty funny actually because 20 years ago, which might seem like a long time to some but not all of us, Hyundais and Kias were very very badly made cars I couldn't stand the things. In that short time though they've come from being relative newcomers making rubbish Cars to being considered some of the most reliable and having some of the best dealer service levels around whilst companies like Jeep/fiat/Chrysler etc and Land Rover seem to get worse and worse with each passing year.

Albynsw

I've had a Kia run around for 5 years and it's been faultless. If only they made them to be a bit smoother and a bit quieter inside....and with a low range box of course.

When Kia / Hyundai venture into the ute and 4WD market I think they will ruffle a few feathers . I am surprised they haven’t done so earlier given their popularity

Albynsw

It's pretty funny actually because 20 years ago, which might seem like a long time to some but not all of us, Hyundais and Kias were very very badly made cars I couldn't stand the things. In that short time though they've come from being relative newcomers making rubbish Cars to being considered some of the most reliable and having some of the best dealer service levels around whilst companies like Jeep/fiat/Chrysler etc and Land Rover seem to get worse and worse with each passing year.

Same was said back when the Jap makers hit our shores.
I have a mate who is an executive in a large car dealership network, last I heard they carried 16 brands and his recommendation to friends looking for a car for their kids is the Hyundai and Kia range. Reckons they are great value for money and they have very little trouble with them
They also carry one of those other brands that he told me DONT BUY ONE , and another smaller European brand that they gave the dealership back as they were more trouble than they were worth.

shanegtr

When Kia / Hyundai venture into the ute and 4WD market I think they will ruffle a few feathers . I am surprised they haven’t done so earlier given their popularity
But ute popularity is mainly an Australian thing, hardly a drop in the ocean if you look at their global sales etc...

phs

Same was said back when the Jap makers hit our shores.
I have a mate who is an executive in a large car dealership network, last I heard they carried 16 brands and his recommendation to friends looking for a car for their kids is the Hyundai and Kia range. Reckons they are great value for money and they have very little trouble with them
They also carry one of those other brands that he told me DONT BUY ONE , and another smaller European brand that they gave the dealership back as they were more trouble than they were worth.

No doubt back in the day people were really Holden, ford or European

And there were a lot of unhappy campers when the Nissan GTR wipped the floor with touring car championships in the early 90s

Usually you’d say if you cant beat them join them

Well Holden and ford had a better idea if you can’t beat them ban them

Albynsw

But ute popularity is mainly an Australian thing, hardly a drop in the ocean if you look at their global sales etc...

Yes true but most of the other mainstream players that they compete with in other sectors are in the ute and dual cab category

phs

Yes indeed,

Our whole market is nothing hence a lot of manufactures don’t care about Australia, except Toyota and have a look at there share in our “ Tiny “ market

Albynsw

No doubt back in the day people were really Holden, ford or European

And there were a lot of unhappy campers when the Nissan GTR wipped the floor with touring car championships in the early 90s

Usually you’d say if you can beat them join them

Well Holden and ford had a better idea if you can’t beat them ban them

Back in the day my brother was part of the race team when RX7’s were doing the rounds with Alan Moffat and Alan Jones even driving one at Bathurst
I think it was George Fury ?? That was racing the Nissans and doing a good job of it.
Was a good era of motorsport as there was a lot of variety on the track

boobook

There is definitely a high proportion of utes as a percentage of vehicles sold in Australia, but in volume, we are a small proportion of the market. I think there are 3 times as many utes sold in Thailand as here, plus tons in the Philippines, Malaysia and Indonesia and the Middle East.

Huyandai will shake up the market for sure, and they will make it appealing for Americans. Ie big

cam04

Hyundai already have a Ute in the works based on a Santa Fe cut down so it won’t be a 1 tonner I think it’s called Santa Cruz? It will end up like the ssanyong musso which is a cut down wagon, unless they also extend it ala musso XLV.
I had one of the first (square headlight) series of the Kia Ceres 4x4’s in the early 90’s. I know just how rough they used to be as a manufacturer, but if you aren’t test driving their small cars and SUV’s when you are looking, you’ve got rocks in your head.

boobook

Well actually that's 2.2 per 100 vehicles sold the actual fact is that some cars could be breaking down 5 or 10 times a year while others gets by, is that better? Nah still the most unreliable cars on the road according to every owner survey in every country I've seen one done in . Being cool is not enough reason to buy very expensive lemons.

"Reliability based on Real Hard Data"

boobook

UK figures show how few Jap cars compared to Australia. There were 24,000 Fords, 24,000 Vauxhalls and only 4000 Toyotas.
Keep in mind that is the number of people who bought aftermarket warranty, not cars sold. Here are the 2020 UK sales figures https://www.am-online.com/data/manufacturer-insight

It appears that fewer people buy aftermarket warranty for more reliable cars as a percentage. I guess that makes sense.

Last edited: