New Defender, observations and opinions of the available information !

mikehzz

Can you imagine sitting on the side of the track with the manual out reading up on how to get it into the correct setting to tackle the next section of track in front of you only to stop and do the same again when conditions change :rolleyes:
It's bad enough stopping and trying to get the GPS settings and location in relation to where you're going on a topo map sometimes. I often feel like throwing the device out the window, and it would be pretty hard to do if the car was the device. :)

Albynsw

It's bad enough stopping and trying to get the GPS settings and location in relation to where you're going on a topo map sometimes. I often feel like throwing the device out the window, and it would be pretty hard to do if the car was the device. :)
It means just get out of the vehicle and walk......simples :p
But on a bit more of a serious note, it all appears way to complicated and more of a techno geeks dream than a device that is a practical aid. Even if it was bullet proof and performed flawlessly like I am sure they would have liked I think it is more a gadget that will appeal to those that won’t actually use it as a 4WD but love showing their mates all the gadgets

a1bert

Don't get much for your money any more
ps was that a 4 wheel drive clip, nearly fell asleep watching it, looks like an advertorial

boobook

Not even the people who wrote the user manual can figure out how to turn the headlights on.

You need a Masters Degree in photonics to use the headlights. Then when you turn the car off you have to go through it all again next time you drive. LOL It dips to low beam when buildings coming the other way drive past you, but not if a bike comes toward you or car crossing on the road is there. Seriously? That is more work overriding a flakey system than just doing it yourself, and once you touch it to over ride it, you're screwedo_O

With all this advanced assistance technology, imagine doing a river crossing at night. By the time you get all the controls in the right mode, the river bed would be dry and it would be daytime. That's a fantastic safety feature. LOL. Though you'd be on high beam and the depth sensors that don't work sensors would still tell you the water is 900mm deep.

I think the only way to make the Defender viable is to strip all these overly complicated software features out and build a coil sprung basic version that just drives.

Last edited:

discomatt

I don't know how anyone could sit through that blokes videos, as much as I love my 2 Discoveries I have zero interest in any more videos of the new Defer and its failings, haven't watched the last few posted.
What I will have interest in is the second generation Defender and what the LR gurus have to say on the few very good LR forums about the issues and more importantly the fixes because it is on paper the best touring option on the market.
Show me any other 4wd with the same on and off road ability and I will be interested in that as well

shanegtr

Seems to go alright on some more difficult trails, but that front end really doesn't like to flex much at all

smitty_r51

Saw two in convoy today on the tracks around blue range heading up towards two sticks in the Brindies.

Although they were parked up and the guy was waking around with his phone in the air I assume trying to get a signal

boobook

Seems to go alright on some more difficult trails, but that front end really doesn't like to flex much at all

Actually, it did ok to get up that. Though for what people say is the best TC, most of the time, the only wheels that are spinning are the ones in the air.

With all that rocking back and forth, I'll bet the passengers are not having anywhere as much fun as the driver.

All said and done, if they can just make it reliable that would be ok for my needs. Trouble is that it's completely untrustworthy and the gadgets get in the way of driving.

rob_macca67

Actually, it did ok to get up that. Though for what people say is the best TC, most of the time, the only wheels that are spinning are the ones in the air.

With all that rocking back and forth, I'll bet the passengers are not having anywhere as much fun as the driver.

All said and done, if they can just make it reliable that would be ok for my needs. Trouble is that it's completely untrustworthy and the gadgets get in the way of driving.
That continual jerking from the TC until it finally finds grip - I reckon after a full day of that, it would start to wear a little thin after a while, if not to the point of fatiguing... plus, I just like to see wheel flex when offroad, just looks better - which u don't see at all from the Defender...

Albynsw

Is the driver pulsing at the throttle at all or just holding the revs and that is the TC doing all of that? Just wondering if the driver is making it worse or if that is how it is meant to be.
Lack of flex is definitely a compromise off-road from a safety/ stability point of view but that is also the reason they are a nicely behaved vehicle onroad.
We have all seen how the Patrols that have slinky suspension behave on road :(

boobook

Is the driver pulsing at the throttle at all or just holding the revs and that is the TC doing all of that?
There are lots of videos with the TC in play and wheels in the air. They all look the same. It lets the wheels spin for 2 - 3 seconds then cuts in. It definitely isn't a diff lock that's for sure. If it could keep all its feet on the ground occasionally, all that would be ok.

Last edited:

discomatt

about time there is a review that the car doesn't have issues in but who knows Harry was given the car to review from LR